This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

pogo not working

Started by touitsjesse,

Previous topic - Next topic

touitsjesse

OK, for the life of me, i cant seem to figure this one out, so i thought maybe someone here can help or had the same problem and found a fix.

problem:

reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled all my necc programs i use, yadda yadda, yadda....anyways...i have emachines and the recovery disk had all the necc programs to get my computer running new again, as in the past, NEVER had any problems, but this time, when i went to connect to the internet, i was able to visit ALL websites and had no problems...until i came to pogo...i was able to visit all phases of pogo(e.g. friends list, account info...) except i cant load a room. This is where the java window is supposed to open but it never does. Now i have the microsoft VM and in the past i never had any problems, i even have cable internet.

I tried:

1. deleting all the java applets in the internet options
2. deleted internet temp files
3. installed java from java.com
4. did everything pogo techs had recommended
5. enabled pogo loading
6. have the right java clicked in internet options

other notes to help in a solution:

1. aol works fine, but my trial is ending soon and cant afford to keep it
2. can get into pogo real late on internet explorer at night with some sluggishness
3. what i do get when trying to click into a room is a white screen, occasionaly it gives me the immpression that the screen is loading but never does.
4. i have not used aol in the past, but it works for me right now
5. tried all other web browsers, all with the same problem.

if anyones able to help i would much appreciate it, im at wits end..thanks

beanie

this may or may not help- but my daughter had the very same problem and all that it was is she had McAfee's virus thing and it prevented her from loading any pogo games- i don't know why but it did.  She even turned it off and it still would not load-  What she had to do is delete the McAfee's and now she gets pogo just fine and it runs faster.  I'm not saying for you to do that but since we have AOL they offer a version of McAfee which works fine with their software and now all is fine.  Just a thought,  but dont take my word for it I am a computer dummy - I just got lucky I guess.  Maybe one of the experts in here can offer some better advice.  Good luck to you.

touitsjesse

no, dont use any virus protection right now, i have uninstalled all that as well as other programs that seem to run in the background and still no pogo solution..thanks anyways.

touitsjesse

pogo just keeps having me delete temp files and corrupted applets...they have not helped me and even after 4 pogo tech emails, thay all say the same thing and have doing the same thing..thats why im posting here, maybe someone else can help since pogo cant.

Betty Boop

i had problems until i went to firefox with sun java.....and just a thought try turning off your windows firewall and see if that changes things

touitsjesse

tried that..mozilla and opera all with no solution

Betty Boop

did you try the latest version of sun java??? 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09)

there is a control panel with java...it will be on your control panel in windows and it has a setting under advanced that says applet tag support....and you can click internet explorer and or mozilla and netscape

touitsjesse

using that version of sun java and the problem started when one day these idiots here where i live were working on the building and blew the power..well...since than it has not been the same..i dont think it can be much cause i can surf anywhere on the net and have no problems except pogo...this is the only place im having problems so far.the only problem im having is i cant load a java screen(applet).

touitsjesse

here is everything pogo told me to do...

Response (Pogo Aaron) 05/09/2005 05:46 PM 
Hi There,

Thank you for contacting Pogo.com Technical Support.

The screenshot that you have attached in the last mail show that you are using Firefox browser.

Please try clearing out your browser cache to make sure you don't have some older files still in your browser cache causing problems. Here's how to clear your cache in Mozilla Firefox:

- Choose 'Tools' from the main menu (at the top of the Firefox window).
- Click on 'Options', and the 'Options' window will appear.
- Click for the 'Privacy' button on the left of the window.
- Click the 'Clear' button corresponding to the right of 'Cache' (it should be the last on the list).
- Your computer may take a minute or two to delete everything.
- Once your curser reverts from the hourglass to the normal cursor, click the 'OK' button at the bottom.
- Now close all Firefox windows and re-open Firefox again.

Clearing out your Temporary Internet Files will NOT damage your computer or hamper your web-browsing. Clearing your cache won't hurt your screen name, account, or stats either, because all this information is stored on the Pogo servers. (Pogo "remembers" you each time you log in by using a cookie, so you may not be automatically logged in if your cookies are cleared.) In fact, it's a good practice to clear out your cache once a week. Think of it like changing the oil in your car at regular intervals... it's good, healthy maintenance.

=====Also====

Let's make sure you don't have any bad/corrupt game applets on your computer. Please try the following steps first, and update this incident to let me know how it works.

In order to delete the Java cache and objects, which is different from the browser cache and temporary internet files; using the latest version of Sun Java, 1.5.x, please follow these steps if you are also using Windows. If you are not sure if you have the latest version of Sun Java or not, please and follow the instructions.

Once you are sure you are using the latest version of Sun Java, please follow these instructions to delete the Java cache and objects if you're using Windows.

Click the following things in order:

Start -> Control Panel -> Java -> 'General' tab.

Then, click the Delete Files button located in the Temporary Internet Files section.

Next, make sure all three boxes are selected, and click OK.

This should probably be done whenever you encounter a problem with the way a game is functioning. Restarting your computer after doing so can also help the performance of the game.

If that doesn't solve the problem, please update this incident, using the provided link, and let me know.

than to no solutions they say this...

Response (Pogo Richard) 05/06/2005 08:11 PM 
Hi there,

Make sure that you have closed any programs or tasks running in the background as sometimes one of the programs can conflict with the game. Background applications such as anti-virus programs are often the cause of conflicts:

==============================
ENDING BACKGROUND APPLICATIONS
==============================

==================
- FOR WINDOWS XP -
==================

- Hold down the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys at the same time
- Click the "Processes" tab.
- Click on the gray bar in the middle column that says User Name to sort by user name.
- Do NOT select anything for SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, or NETWORK SERVICE.
- Click on anything besides EXPLORER and TASKMGR for this User Name or other user names.
- Click on END PROCESS
- Repeat these steps until only explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe are open for this user profile.

Note that some applications may need to be closed multiple times before the task terminates itself. With this in mind, don't worry that you are permanently changing your system configuration; these applications will return when you restart your system. If you are still noticing problems please let us know.

I look forward to your reply.

than they say this again after no solution...

Response (Pogo Jeff) 05/05/2005 10:41 AM 
Hi There,

Let's make sure you don't have any bad/corrupt game applets on your computer. Please try the following steps first, and update this incident to let me know how it works. I do ask you to clear your cache, here, but there's more. Please complete ALL sets of instructions that pertain to your system. If you are not a Club Pogo subscriber, please skip step 2, as it does not impact you.

1. Please try clearing out your browser cache to make sure you don't have some older files still in your browser cache causing problems. Here's how to clear your cache in Internet Explorer:

- Choose 'Tools' from the main menu (at the top of the IE window)
- Click on 'Internet Options', and the 'Internet Options' window will appear.
- Look for the 'Temporary Internet Files' box towards the middle of the window.
- Click the 'Delete Files...' button.
- Click 'OK' on the pop-up that asks "Delete all files in the Temporary Internet Files folder?". You don't need to put a check in the 'Delete all offline Content' box.
- Your computer may take a minute or two to delete everything.
- Once your curser reverts from the hourglass to the normal cursor, click the 'OK' button at the bottom.
- Now close all Internet Explorer windows and re-open IE again.

2. Once you've done that, please try clearing out your 'Object' library in Internet Explorer. This is where the game files are actually stored with Fast Access on Club Pogo. Here's how to do that:

- Open Internet Explorer (even if you normally use the AOL or MSN browser)
- Go to the 'Tools' menu in Internet Explorer
- Choose 'Internet Options'
- In the middle of the Internet Options window, look for the 'settings' button in the middle, under 'Temporary Internet Files'
- On the Settings screen, click the 'View Objects' Tab. This is where your browser stores the actual game applet.
- Look for any files in the list that are Pogo games. Things like 'PopFu by Pogo', 'Freecell by Pogo' and so on, and delete those.
- Click 'Yes' to confirm the deletion of each file

3. If you have any versions of Sun Java, please uninstall any you have through the Add/Remove Programs listing within the Control Panel. When you're done, please restart your computer.

When the computer is back up, please go to the link below and install the latest version of Java.

The link below will instruct you on how to download, install, and test the Sun Java 2 plug-in from Sun Microsystems. To view it, copy and paste it into your web browser.

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/win_auto.jsp

For Sun Java: If you receive a 'Java Not Found or Not Working' error after performing the preceding, or if you're still experiencing the same problem you were before, please make sure that you've enabled the new plug-in in your browser. To do so:

Open Internet Explorer / AOL
Click on the 'Tools' menu.
Choose 'Internet Options'
Click the 'Advanced' Tab
Scroll down to the 'Java (Sun)' listing
Make sure the 'Use Java...' item has a check in the box next to it.
Click 'OK'

This will ensure that the browser is using the Java VM from Sun, and not the default version.

If your browser is properly using the Sun Java 2 plugin for Java content, you'll see a little purple coffee cup in your Windows system tray

4. If you are still facing the same problem, please reply back to us confirming that you followed the instructions above. Also I will appreciate if you could provide some additional information, which will help me understand your problem in detail.

Do you have any anti virus installed?
Are you behind a firewall?
Do you have Service Pack 2 installed on your Computer? To find out if you have SP2 installed, please right-click on the 'My Computer' icon and select 'Properties'. You may see "Service Pack 2" at the top under 'System Information'.

I realize that collecting this information is a bit time-consuming and sometimes difficult, but I really do need it to recommend a solution that will work for you.

I look forward to your reply.

now i followed every step, as followed step by step and no solution, than it came down to it as it started to repeast itself.

touitsjesse

thanks max, but im trying to use IE without using aol...i got aol cause it was the only thing would allow me to play in pogo...i would keep aol if it didnt cost me anything but i cant afford aol and my existing internet....if i continued with aol and discontinued my ISP than i would be downgrading my speed to dsl..i have cable speed now, plus aol is way more expensive than what i am paying.

so what im trying to achieve again is using IE with my ISP.

i also remember hearing that microsoft allowed the VM with IE, this also seemed when i started having my problems...SUN java did not seem to fix the problem, im just trying to get this thing back to normal i guess without the use of the microsoft VM java.

Motley

Ugh, I used to have that problem, IE would not load any Pogo games.  I redownloaded IE.  But I run AOL on occasion and have Mcafee running in the background all the time, and haven't had any problems.

touitsjesse

did that as well, as for running any virus protection, im not running any right now cause all im doing right now is working in pogo, trying to get it running on IE.

so far i have firefox running with sun java, we will see if it runs during the day...but this is so frustrating its killing all my extra time, but ill be damned if i let this problem eat my lunch.

Fluffy756

If you using aol and changes from DSL to cable speed check prices plan on aol you can get it for $14.95 a month that what I did when I went to dail up to cable.. I use my IE offline to play pogo and aol for other things hope this helps you.

fluffy

touitsjesse

NM..seems no one is getting my problem or has a solution..thanks anyways.

Jeffer

I have a hunch...

Go to:

C:/Documents and settings/user/jpj_cache/jar/1.0

This is where your pogo files end up.  If the automatic deletions didn't work perhaps you need to do it yourself.

Manually delete everything in the file. 

Like I said.  Just a hunch.  At worst it won't make anything worse....  I had to do it once for some nasty spyware and it helped me.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview