PlayBuddy
April 19, 2024, 12:37:37 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Garden Blast : Use 120 rockets or rocket power-up combos this week! [Download Cheat]
World Class Solitaire HD : Place 200 cards into the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Peanut Butter Recall

Started by Homer,

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

(CNN) -- King Nut Companies issued a total recall of peanut butter that it distributes Saturday amid fears of a salmonella outbreak that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said has infected 399 people in 42 states.

Salmonella bacteria are transmitted to humans by eating contaminated foods.

Ohio-based King Nut acknowledged in a statement that salmonella had been found in an open 5-pound tub of King Nut peanut butter.

"We are very sorry this happened," Martin Kanan, president of King Nut Companies, said in the statement. "We are taking immediate and voluntary action because the health and safety of those who use our products is always our highest priority."

King Nut peanut butter was identified as the source of an outbreak that may have contributed to one death in Minnesota, state public health officials said Friday.

King Nut said Saturday that peanut butter sold under its label was manufactured by Peanut Corporation of America. The release gave no other details on the manufacturer, but Peanut Corporation of America's Web site lists its headquarters as Lynchburg, Virginia, and says it has processing operations in Virginia, Georgia and Texas.

Peanut Corporation of America could not be immediately reached for comment.

The CDC is working with public health officials in the 42 affected states to determine the cause of the outbreak of a type of salmonella called Typhimurium.  Learn more about salmonella ยป

The first cases were reported September 3, but most cases occurred between October 1 and December 31, the CDC said. About 18 percent of victims were hospitalized as a result of their illness, and patients' ages have ranged from 2 months to 98 years.

California is reporting the highest case count, with 55, followed by Ohio with 53 cases, Massachusetts with 39, Minnesota with 30 and Michigan with 20.

The other 37 states are each reporting fewer than 20 cases.

Eight states have reported no cases connected to the outbreak. They are Montana, New Mexico, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Florida, Alaska and Hawaii.

In its statement, King Nut said it distributes peanut butter "only through food service accounts. It is not sold directly to consumers."

The statement added, "King Nut does not supply any of the ingredients for the peanut butter distributed under its label. All other King Nut products are safe and not included in this voluntary recall."

Strains of salmonella linked to previous outbreaks have been traced to contaminated eggs, meat, poultry, vegetables, pet food and peanut butter.

Salmonella infections can be treated with antibiotics, though some strains are resistant to these drugs, according to the CDC. Most people infected develop diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps within a few days of infection, and their illness can last up to a week.

Most recover without treatment, but some may suffer dehydration and, in severe cases, require hospitalization.

Children, senior citizens, people with chronic illnesses and those with weak immune systems tend to be at highest risk for complications, according to the National Institutes of Health.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

doublea0508

Wow I'm from Ohio but I have never heard of King Nut.. I'm just happy its not JIF PB

gator8_24

Homer, you are joking?  King Nut?  :)) :)) :)) :))

Tara

This peanut butter is sold in large quantities like to schools, university's, hospitals, and places like Keebler that make pb crackers. They recalled all Keebler and Austin crackers made with peanut butter. We always have Keebler pb and cheese crackers in our house.  :((

crzy4it

Little Debbie is pulling there peanut butter crakers from the shelf here....don't know if anyway connected to this company?

Tara

They're even pulling peanut butter cookie mixes. The peanut butter is a paste that tons of companies use.

arniebear

Please check your dog biscuits and treats, there are some that contain peanut butter paste in the ingredients and are being pulled from shelves.

disneyland lady

I eat Peanut Butter almost daily because I am allergic to meat and fish and need to get my protein levels decent so this really scared me. I found this yesterday <i> "The FDA, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state officials have traced sources of Salmonella typhimurium contamination to a plant in Blakely, Ga., owned by Peanut Corp. of America, which makes peanut butter and peanut paste made of ground, roasted peanuts." </i>

Jiff was one of the ones that was <b> NOT </b>using products from this company. I am sure there are others but for now I am spreading Jiff on my celery.

arniebear

Jar peanut butter is supposedly safe to eat, it is only products that contain peanut butter paste.

disneyland lady

Quote from: arniebear on January 22, 2009, 06:36:29 AM
Jar peanut butter is supposedly safe to eat, it is only products that contain peanut butter paste.

From what was first said (post one)  "open 5-pound tub of King Nut peanut butter". Have you seen somewhere that it says all jar peanut butter is safe?

arniebear

According to the FDA lady I heard on Fox News she was saying jar peanut butter was safe. 

Here is site for updates.

http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/salmonellatyph.html

QuoteMajor national brands of jarred peanut butter are not affected by the PCA recall.  PCA does not sell peanut butter directly to consumers.  PCA only sells peanut butter to institutions and food manufacturers (some of which use it as an ingredient in other processed/packaged foods). Some food manufacturers use PCA peanut butter or peanut paste in baked or processed foods, such as crackers, cookies, cakes or ice cream to name a few. The FDA and food manufacturers are working to identify products that may be affected, and to track the ingredient supply chain of those products to facilitate their removal from the marketplace.

Stinkerbell

Thanks for the link, arnie!  I bookmarked the main page for future reference. 

Stinkerbell

Quote from: disneyland lady on January 22, 2009, 06:45:47 AM
From what was first said (post one)  "open 5-pound tub of King Nut peanut butter". Have you seen somewhere that it says all jar peanut butter is safe?

And wouldn't ya just know it, I've been craving peanut butter on celery!  Choosy moms choose Jif!

Squid

arniebear

I am a Skippy PB person, all my Mom ever used.  Mom's rub off on you whether you want them too or not.  :)))

disneyland lady

Quote from: arniebear on January 22, 2009, 08:06:08 AM
According to the FDA lady I heard on Fox News she was saying jar peanut butter was safe. 

Here is site for updates.

http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/salmonellatyph.html

Thanks plenty! I imagine that did not include "restaurant sizes" like you find at Costco cuz the original article mentions a 5 lb jar. I eat a lot of pb but do not buy in those large sizes. I figured it was something that had been imported but it is good old American salmonella!

arniebear

I know my Marc's here carries lots of King Nut stuff, and they do sell institutional size products......but I don't know about PB.  Right now just sticking to what I know which is name brands even if it does cost more.  Besides 5lb of PB for just me and the hubby would get stale before we ate it all.

disneyland lady

This was on the net tonite: "Even the Girl Scouts are reassuring customers Peanut Corp. is not their supplier."

~Sassy~

Quote from: arniebear on January 22, 2009, 09:22:46 AM
I am a Skippy PB person, all my Mom ever used.  Mom's rub off on you whether you want them too or not.  :)))
I am a Skippy girl too Arnie. My honey brought a jar of Jif home not too long ago and I told hiim " Enjoy, I aint touching that stuff! " he buys me nothing but Skippy now. I proudly stuck my chest out when they said on TV last night it wasn't Skippy. My honey looked at me and said.."Should have known yours wouldn't be one of them"  :))

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview