PlayBuddy
April 23, 2024, 08:37:12 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Garden Blast : Use 120 rockets or rocket power-up combos this week! [Download Cheat]
World Class Solitaire HD : Place 200 cards into the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Confused on Shooting the Moon

Started by arniebear,

Previous topic - Next topic

arniebear

I have a question for all you who play Hearts, I am not very good at card games and just play basic Hearts.  I understand that to Shoot The Moon you have take all the Hearts and Queen of Spades.  Exactly what kind of strategy is used for this? In the options there is nothing about Shooting the Moon, only Shoot the Sun, whatever that is.  Please explain to a very confused and stupid card player  :((

Stinkerbell

Quote from: arniebear on January 22, 2009, 08:17:36 AM
I have a question for all you who play Hearts, I am not very good at card games and just play basic Hearts.  I understand that to Shoot The Moon you have take all the Hearts and Queen of Spades.  Exactly what kind of strategy is used for this? In the options there is nothing about Shooting the Moon, only Shoot the Sun, whatever that is.  Please explain to a very confused and stupid card player  :((

For one thing, most players, unless they KNOW you're trying to shoot the moon, will gladly pass the Q of spades to you, because the idea in this game is to have the fewest points and that one is worth 13.  Each heart is worth 1.  So, when you're planning your hand you want to keep high cards to play that will take the trick, for example the AKQ of spades will take the queen, so keep those in your hand.  Hanging onto other high cards such as hearts, will enable you to play those first and take the tricks... for example, AKQJ played first will take whatever suit it is in, such as hearts.  You can clean up the hearts this way. 

I know someone else will come along and explain it much better, but at least this is a start.  Good luck.  I double browsed with a friend to get this one.

arniebear

(OO) Thanks I guess I will get in some practice on Hearts, lol.  Unfortunately it is gonna be the bots for me as none of my Pogo friends will be able to get together at the same time.  6_6.gif

Stinkerbell

Quote from: arniebear on January 22, 2009, 08:37:16 AM
(OO) Thanks I guess I will get in some practice on Hearts, lol.  Unfortunately it is gonna be the bots for me as none of my Pogo friends will be able to get together at the same time.  6_6.gif

Yeah, it would be tough trying to get 4 people together.  Maybe someone here will post a better solution for you!   (OO)

Squid

Can't you hit "new game" if the cards you're dealt are not good enough to possibly shoot the moon?  If you don't care about stats and it has a NEW GAME button, wait until the cards line up for a possible shot.  If you want me to try for you, ArnieBear, let me know.

*edited to correct BAD grammar!  LOL

arniebear

(OO) If I get in deep doo doo, which I probably will, I will definitely take you up on the offer.

Joe C

The best way to SHOOT THE MOON manually is to ASK FOR HELP from someone in the main room.

You set the table up with NO POINTS for Jack of Diamonds and ADVANCED OPTIONS only pass across.

Your partner passes you low cards (never, ever hearts) and you pass high cards/hearts. It is actually better to have lots of ONE suit in your hand, e.g. 7 diamonds, so you can play off the big ones later on against other suits.

You can take turns with your partner. Some hands cannot shoot the moon, e.g. too many hearts, too many aces and kings with no little cards to protecting until you can slough off big cards on non-suited tricks. Be honest in the main room. As for HELP shooting the moon or meet a friend and use a password protected table. CHAT with your partner and they should play BIG CARDS so you can play medium cards. For example, they play King of Diamonds so you can slough Queen of Diamonds.

The best way is to double browse, if you can. You can then ensure you know what cards your partner will play.
Boston University Class of 2017!

Master of Science in Project Management

arniebear

QuoteThe best way to SHOOT THE MOON manually is to ASK FOR HELP from someone in the main room.

You set the table up with NO POINTS for Jack of Diamonds and ADVANCED OPTIONS only pass across.

Your partner passes you low cards (never, ever hearts) and you pass high cards/hearts. It is actually better to have lots of ONE suit in your hand, e.g. 7 diamonds, so you can play off the big ones later on against other suits.

You can take turns with your partner. Some hands cannot shoot the moon, e.g. too many hearts, too many aces and kings with no little cards to protecting until you can slough off big cards on non-suited tricks. Be honest in the main room. As for HELP shooting the moon or meet a friend and use a password protected table. CHAT with your partner and they should play BIG CARDS so you can play medium cards. For example, they play King of Diamonds so you can slough Queen of Diamonds.

The best way is to double browse, if you can. You can then ensure you know what cards your partner will play.
:OO  :=

catfancie

girls18.gif  I am already hoping that they (pogo) get enough complaints from the whiners before this challenge and change it to something easier to obtain in Hearts.  I tried practicing yesterday by activating the badge from 2005 that requires to Shoot the Moon once.

arniebear

It is useless to complain to Pogo they give out the same answer............if you can't do it don't, but give it a try you may get it  :xx

Joe C

I get the feeling I will be helping people with that badge.

jarjar

Quote from: Joe C on January 22, 2009, 11:15:18 AM
I get the feeling I will be helping people with that badge.

I will take a number now :))) Just want to reserve a seat :)))

FreecellFanny

I don't know enough about this game to know whether or not I have the best cards to do this.

To say that I have to "take" the Queen of Spades does this mean that I have to lose?

Surely the darned auto can pull this one off?

Joe C

To "Shoot the Moon", the player is required to capture the Queen of Spades (13 points) and all 13 Hearts (1 point each) for a total of 26 points. Depending on how the table is set up, you may have the choice to SUBTRACT 26 points from your score or add 26 points to ALL opponents scores. Miss ONE SINGLE POINT, and whatever total you capture gets ADDED to your score (bad thing in this game)

To "Shoot the Sun", the player is required to win all 13 tricks. This gives 56 points to all opponents or possibly subtract 56 points from player's total if this setting is selected on the table.

The Jack of diamonds is worth -5 points to the player that captures it ONLY IF THIS OPTION IS CHOSEN. DO NOT CHOOSE THIS OPTION.

So, to "Shoot the Moon" with a willing partner, you do what I said earlier. Set up ADVANCED OPTION "PASS ACROSS" only. Partner SHOOTING THE MOON passes three high cards/hearts and partner HELPING passes three LOWEST cards but NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER HEARTS or Queen of Spades. Is NEVER clear enough. 2 of Hearts is bad card to have when trying to shoot the moon.

I will update this later as my earlier post describes how not to take ANY hearts/tricks. Basically, you do the opposite, but I will give more details.

arniebear

QuoteTo "Shoot the Moon", the player is required to capture the Queen of Spades (13 points) and all 13 Hearts (1 point each) for a total of 26 points. Depending on how the table is set up, you may have the choice to SUBTRACT 26 points from your score or add 26 points to ALL opponents scores. Miss ONE SINGLE POINT, and whatever total you capture gets ADDED to your score (bad thing in this game)

To "Shoot the Sun", the player is required to win all 13 tricks. This gives 56 points to all opponents or possibly subtract 56 points from player's total if this setting is selected on the table.

The Jack of diamonds is worth -5 points to the player that captures it ONLY IF THIS OPTION IS CHOSEN. DO NOT CHOOSE THIS OPTION.

So, to "Shoot the Moon" with a willing partner, you do what I said earlier. Set up ADVANCED OPTION "PASS ACROSS" only. Partner SHOOTING THE MOON passes three high cards/hearts and partner HELPING passes three LOWEST cards but NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER HEARTS or Queen of Spades. Is NEVER clear enough. 2 of Hearts is bad card to have when trying to shoot the moon.

I will update this later as my earlier post describes how not to take ANY hearts/tricks. Basically, you do the opposite, but I will give more details.

:= :"

FreecellFanny

If I have to capture all the hearts why would I pass the higher cards?

~Sassy~

I play hearts and I am willing to help any of you get your shoot the moon badge. I double browse and know how to set up the hand,  so it is easy for me. Those who want me to help...send me a pm with your info and a reminder a couple of days before the challenge comes up...ok. I have no clue when this challenge is coming up.
But not to fear Sassy is here.  :-*

Stinkerbell

FreecellFanny

I know you did Stinky but I was referring to what Joe said:

QuoteYour partner passes you low cards (never, ever hearts) and you pass high cards/hearts. It is actually better to have lots of ONE suit in your hand, e.g. 7 diamonds, so you can play off the big ones later on against other suits.

This is why I'm confused...you said to keep them and he says to pass them... :=

Tara

Just double browse the game or stand and sit until you get a good hand.  :^*

You don't want to pass your high hearts. You want at least the first 4 or 5 hearts so you can take control of the game. If you don't have at least the highest 4, just stand up and sit back and down until you do get it. Someone (bots) will give you the Q of spades if you don't already have it. It's not that hard to get.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview