PlayBuddy
April 20, 2024, 04:30:34 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Garden Blast : Use 120 rockets or rocket power-up combos this week! [Download Cheat]
World Class Solitaire HD : Place 200 cards into the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Confused on Shooting the Moon

Started by arniebear,

Previous topic - Next topic

arniebear

Maybe there is hope after all, this challenge comes up 2/11

catfancie

Quote from: ~Sassy~ on January 22, 2009, 02:41:04 PM
I play hearts and I am willing to help any of you get your shoot the moon badge. I double browse and know how to set up the hand,  so it is easy for me. Those who want me to help...send me a pm with your info and a reminder a couple of days before the challenge comes up...ok. I have no clue when this challenge is coming up.
But not to fear Sassy is here.  :-*

challenge is the week of the 02/11 to 02/17      := Sassy is it to early to request your  :OO  This one has me in a  := and I know I am going to  girls18.gif   Tried for the one in the 2005 album yesterday but finally changed it to another

~Sassy~

Quote from: catfancie on January 22, 2009, 03:12:17 PM

challenge is the week of the 02/11 to 02/17      := Sassy is it to early to request your  :OO  This one has me in a  := and I know I am going to  girls18.gif   Tried for the one in the 2005 album yesterday but finally changed it to another
Cat,
Just remind me ok and send me your info. I can get the other one for your 2005 album at the same time...ok?
Sassy

Stinkerbell

Quote from: FreecellFanny on January 22, 2009, 02:51:17 PM
I know you did Stinky but I was referring to what Joe said:

This is why I'm confused...you said to keep them and he says to pass them... :=

You have to keep the high cards so you can take the trick.  If you give them away then you have nothing to take the needed cards with.  Unless I'm wrong and the idea is to NOT take them, but I believe the idea is to take them all.

No, I checked, you want to take them all so you MUST keep the high cards.

Here's an article on it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2271004_shoot-moon-hearts.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

Tara

Quote from: Stinkerbell on January 22, 2009, 03:50:05 PM
You have to keep the high cards so you can take the trick.  If you give them away then you have nothing to take the needed cards with.  Unless I'm wrong and the idea is to NOT take them, but I believe the idea is to take them all.

Duh  :-[  ...I just said that 3 posts up.  :%#

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Tara on January 22, 2009, 04:17:02 PM
Duh  :-[  ...I just said that 3 posts up.  :%#

And I said it before that so  :{:  Then someone else came along and said you have to pass them, so I was just trying to explain to Fanny why you need to keep them.   (OO)

jarjar

Quote from: ~Sassy~ on January 22, 2009, 03:49:19 PM
Cat,
Just remind me ok and send me your info. I can get the other one for your 2005 album at the same time...ok?
Sassy
Your going to be very busy my friend. Add me to your list :-* That one is the worst yet :xx  Love you Sassy (OO)

~Sassy~

Quote from: jarjar on January 22, 2009, 05:40:03 PM
Your going to be very busy my friend. Add me to your list :-* That one is the worst yet :xx  Love you Sassy (OO)
Just pm me Sue...k.  :-*

jarjar

FreecellFanny

Quote from: ~Sassy~ on January 22, 2009, 05:47:33 PM
Just pm me Sue...k.  :-*

You'll  be hearing from me too. For me and my daughters account.  :)))

Thanks Stinky and Tara!  (OO)

arniebear

Well I'll gratefully accept anyones help if they are willing.......this is one of Pogo's crap badges that aggravates everybody.   :((

Joe C

I will make myself available to help.

Sorry I have not put instructions here yet on how to double-browse or work with a partner to shoot the moon frequently.

The short version is this. Set up a table with ADVANCED OPTIONS "Pass Across" selected and NO OTHER selections.
Make sure that the "Jack Of Diamonds is worth -5 points" is not selected.
Make sure you choose "Hearts cannot be broken on first trick"
Make sure you choose "Hearts cannot be lead until they are broken"
Make sure you choose "2 of Clubs lead off"
You and partner sit across from each other.
SHOOT THE MOON means capture ALL 26 points available in the hand. A hand is made of 13 tricks. Winning all 13 tricks is called SHOOT THE SUN, but this is not required for any badges yet. The 26 points are comprised of: 13 points for the Queen of Spades, and one point for each Heart. The QUEEN OF SPADES is considered a HEART for points, but not for taking a trick. Be advised that HEARTS are not trump for any trick. The suit that is led is the TRUMP for that trick. Playing other suits (when void of the lead suit) is called sloughing or dumping.

The way to shoot the moon is the same either with double-browsing or with a partner. With a partner, you will have to chat prior to passing, to coordinate your actions.

SHOOT THE MOON means capture ALL 26 points available in the hand. A hand is made of 13 tricks. Winning all 13 tricks is called SHOOT THE SUN, but this is not required for any badges yet.

Basic philosophy of shooting the moon.
You do not need to have any HEARTS in your hand to shoot the moon. (You just need to win every trick with points)
The Pogo Bots try VERY VERY hard to prevent ANY player from shooting the moon. They accomplish this by saving ONE heart to play on a trick someone else is going to win once Hearts are broken.
Little hearts (2-10) will almost always prevent you from shooting the moon if they are in your hand.
You will need a lot of "boss" cards to shoot the moon. A-K-Q-J in order.
The best hands to shoot the moon are UNBALANCED. This means you have a lot more one suit, such as seven total diamonds.
The goal is to get to a point where no one else can take a trick other than you BEFORE someone else wins a trick with a HEART in it.
Pass low hearts and other low cards.
Hearts is where the POGO BOTS try their hardest to stop you. A-K-J Hearts looks like a great hand to use, but in reality, if one of the POGO BOTS has the Q Hearts and 2 other Hearts, YOU WILL NOT SHOOT THE MOON. The bots will stop you.
How your partner plays after the pass is just as important as passing you cards. Basically, you need to get rid of those cards that will not win tricks.
If you have a low card (other than Hearts, which probably stops you), you need to play it one the FIRST trick of that suit.
Hopefully, your partner will take the tricks where you dump your low cards and then lead in the suit that allows you to win the game and shoot the moon.
HOLDING the Queen of SPADES (you or partner) is very desirable, too.

I can shoot the moon about once every four hands when double-browsing. Some hands are just impossible, even when you "control" two of the four players.

Here is an example (C = Clubs, D = Diamonds, H = Hearts and S = Spades)

Pre-pass
You (trying to shoot the moon)
C - 2,4,5,Q,K
D - 10,Q,A
S - 2,K,A
H - 3,K

Partner
C- 7,J,A
D- 2,3,6,7,K
S - 3,10,Q
H - 8,A

So, you would pass 3H, 4C and 5C or 3H, 4C and 2S.
Your partner would pass AH, QS and AC.

After passing, you have the following problems:
You are holding 2C, which means you lead the first trick. One less chance to get rid of low clubs.
you have either 5C or 2S, which are low cards
Partner holds KD, which could stop you.

So, you play 2C to start, you partner WINS trick with JC.
Partner lead 10S (if you kept 2S) or 7C (if you kept 5C, which is the riskier choice, since 7C may not win trick)
Partner leads KD, which you take with AD.

You are now in the lead and NO ONE can take any tricks from you. This means, you get all the hearts including the Queen of Spades.

Congratulations, you shot the moon.

With practice, you, too, can shoot it 1 out of 4 hands.
Boston University Class of 2017!

Master of Science in Project Management

Stinkerbell

Joe,
I'm sorry... can you repeat those instructions again, a little slower this time?    %%

Squid

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Joe C

Quote from: Stinkerbell on January 23, 2009, 01:50:23 PM
Joe,
I'm sorry... can you repeat those instructions again, a little slower this time?    %%
S
O

Y
O
U

W
A
N
T

T
O

S
H
O
O
T

T
H
E

M
O
O
N

Stinkerbell

Tara

Quote from: Joe C on January 23, 2009, 12:56:12 PM
I will make myself available to help.

Sorry I have not put instructions here yet on how to double-browse or work with a partner to shoot the moon frequently.

The short version is this. Set up a table with ADVANCED OPTIONS "Pass Across" selected and NO OTHER selections.
Make sure that the "Jack Of Diamonds is worth -5 points" is not selected.
Make sure you choose "Hearts cannot be broken on first trick"
Make sure you choose "Hearts cannot be lead until they are broken"
Make sure you choose "2 of Clubs lead off"
You and partner sit across from each other.
SHOOT THE MOON means capture ALL 26 points available in the hand. A hand is made of 13 tricks. Winning all 13 tricks is called SHOOT THE SUN, but this is not required for any badges yet. The 26 points are comprised of: 13 points for the Queen of Spades, and one point for each Heart. The QUEEN OF SPADES is considered a HEART for points, but not for taking a trick. Be advised that HEARTS are not trump for any trick. The suit that is led is the TRUMP for that trick. Playing other suits (when void of the lead suit) is called sloughing or dumping.

The way to shoot the moon is the same either with double-browsing or with a partner. With a partner, you will have to chat prior to passing, to coordinate your actions.

SHOOT THE MOON means capture ALL 26 points available in the hand. A hand is made of 13 tricks. Winning all 13 tricks is called SHOOT THE SUN, but this is not required for any badges yet.

Basic philosophy of shooting the moon.
You do not need to have any HEARTS in your hand to shoot the moon. (You just need to win every trick with points)
The Pogo Bots try VERY VERY hard to prevent ANY player from shooting the moon. They accomplish this by saving ONE heart to play on a trick someone else is going to win once Hearts are broken.
Little hearts (2-10) will almost always prevent you from shooting the moon if they are in your hand.
You will need a lot of "boss" cards to shoot the moon. A-K-Q-J in order.
The best hands to shoot the moon are UNBALANCED. This means you have a lot more one suit, such as seven total diamonds.
The goal is to get to a point where no one else can take a trick other than you BEFORE someone else wins a trick with a HEART in it.
Pass low hearts and other low cards.
Hearts is where the POGO BOTS try their hardest to stop you. A-K-J Hearts looks like a great hand to use, but in reality, if one of the POGO BOTS has the Q Hearts and 2 other Hearts, YOU WILL NOT SHOOT THE MOON. The bots will stop you.
How your partner plays after the pass is just as important as passing you cards. Basically, you need to get rid of those cards that will not win tricks.
If you have a low card (other than Hearts, which probably stops you), you need to play it one the FIRST trick of that suit.
Hopefully, your partner will take the tricks where you dump your low cards and then lead in the suit that allows you to win the game and shoot the moon.
HOLDING the Queen of SPADES (you or partner) is very desirable, too.

I can shoot the moon about once every four hands when double-browsing. Some hands are just impossible, even when you "control" two of the four players.

Here is an example (C = Clubs, D = Diamonds, H = Hearts and S = Spades)

Pre-pass
You (trying to shoot the moon)
C - 2,4,5,Q,K
D - 10,Q,A
S - 2,K,A
H - 3,K

Partner
C- 7,J,A
D- 2,3,6,7,K
S - 3,10,Q
H - 8,A

So, you would pass 3H, 4C and 5C or 3H, 4C and 2S.
Your partner would pass AH, QS and AC.

After passing, you have the following problems:
You are holding 2C, which means you lead the first trick. One less chance to get rid of low clubs.
you have either 5C or 2S, which are low cards
Partner holds KD, which could stop you.

So, you play 2C to start, you partner WINS trick with JC.
Partner lead 10S (if you kept 2S) or 7C (if you kept 5C, which is the riskier choice, since 7C may not win trick)
Partner leads KD, which you take with AD.

You are now in the lead and NO ONE can take any tricks from you. This means, you get all the hearts including the Queen of Spades.

Congratulations, you shot the moon.

With practice, you, too, can shoot it 1 out of 4 hands.

Good gawd, you can have the badge before you get done reading this novel.  :P

Joe C

Quote from: Tara on January 23, 2009, 04:29:37 PM
Thanks, I will be here the whole week

jarjar

Quote from: Tara on January 23, 2009, 04:29:37 PM
Tara everyday of my life here you put a smile on my face (OO) And a giggle too :)))

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview