This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Coke Recipe Revealed?

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayhem

One of the most closely guarded trade secrets in the history of commerce may be a secret no more: the radio show "This American Life" thinks it has found the exact recipe for the world's most popular soft drink in a 1979 newspaper article.

According to the show's host, Ira Glass, the drink's secret flavoring component, which was created by pharmacist John Pemberton in 1886, is something called "Merchandise 7X." The show's staff recently stumbled across the February 8, 1979 edition of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, which published an article on page 28 about a leather-bound notebook that once belonged to Pemberton's best friend, another pharmacist in the Atlanta area named R. R. Evans.

The notebook contained a number of pharmacological recipes--but the main entry, for students of commercial history, was what's believed to be the exact recipe for the soft drink: all of the ingredients listed with the exact amounts needed to whip up a batch.

So what's the secret to making Coke? Well, here's what was written in the notebook:

The recipe:

Fluid extract of Coca: 3 drams USP
Citric acid: 3 oz
Caffeine: 1 oz
Sugar: 30 (unclear quantity)
Water: 2.5 gal
Lime juice: 2 pints, 1 quart
Vanilla: 1 oz
Caramel: 1.5 oz or more for color

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110215/ts_yblog_thelookout/did-nprs-this-american-life-discover-cokes-secret-formula
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

snowflower

BFM2005

Wow. if this is for real, we should be tasting some interesting replicas soon. OH, what will be coming soon? Can't wait to see.

CuriousWines

Hmmmm  very interesting.... but I don't want it...only drink the real thing !!    stop.gif

nicendcute86

bbq21.gif i heard on the news a while ago Mexico are going to start putting back in traces of "coke" back in coca-cola any one else heard this?

CuriousWines

Yeah I heard that too. Don't know how they think they will get away with it, douubt it will be sold in the US.  coffee.gif

TOKEDOUT

magnifier.gif maybe the USA wont know for sure if they do? could explain why i get violent diablo.gif  when i dont get my morning fix of coca cola LOL bbq21.gif

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview