This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Baby Dies after Hospital Unwilling to Pay $3 for Incubator

Started by APACHESmooth,

Previous topic - Next topic

APACHESmooth

A newborn baby girl died in India's northern Punjab state after doctors removed her from an incubator that her parents couldn't afford. The incubator cost the hospital 200 rupees ($3.60).

A premature newborn girl was in critical condition and needed incubator support in order to live. Two days after placing her in the incubator, hospital officials demanded that the family pay 200 rupees towards electricity charges.

Unfortunately, the baby's father, Sanjiv Kumar was an unemployed painter and couldn't pay the amount on time.

"We begged and pleaded with them to keep our child alive in the incubator and that we would pay them the money later," a distraught Kumar said. "But they refused."

When the family was unable to pay, nurses took away the saline drip, while officials removed the baby from the incubator, causing her to die three hours later.

"They killed my child," the baby's mother Sunita Kumar said. "I pleaded that my husband needed time to arrange the money, but to no avail and the baby was taken out of the incubator."

The state chief minister, Prakash Singh Badal is currently investigating the "unfortunate" incident at the Civil hospital in Jalandhar. He has awarded compensation to the baby's parents in the amount of $1,855, curiously enough to pay for the electricity of over 600 incubators.

So sad!  6_6.gif Thank GOD I am an American!!!!

roadwarrior

Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview