Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Puter won't turn on

Started by Squid,

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

Hi, gang -

I have an old laptop that I haven't turned on in over a year.  I packed it up in its case and it was working at that time.  Now, it won't turn on.  Nothing - zippo - zilch - black screen, no lights.

Is it completely dead or is there a trick to turning these things on when they've been laying dormant for so long?

Cord has power :)

snap20

Did you try leaving it plugged in overnight to see if the battery will recharge? About the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

What kind of laptop is it? Make/model?

Squid

I can try that but since it's plugged in, I thought the current would get it going, despite probably having a depleted battery.  It's an HP Pavilion with XP.  I want to get into it because I have email contacts that are not on my newer computers.  UGH... I thought I transferred all of them but I guess I didn't. 

I'll plug it in again and leave it overnight.  Thanks, Snapperella.

snap20

Try this. Take out the battery, and hold down the power button for about 30 seconds. Release the button, put the battery back in, plug it in and try and boot up.

Mayhem

Try removing the battery and see if it will boot up.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Mayhem

Quote from: snap20 on July 28, 2014, 02:45:00 PM
Try this. Take out the battery, and hold down the power button for about 30 seconds. Release the button, put the battery back in, plug it in and try and boot up.

Beat me to it  swear2.gif

snap20

Here's more info on things to try. It probably isn't the same model as yours, but you can search for your model if need be:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443371&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1842155

snap20

Quote from: Mayhem on July 28, 2014, 02:46:15 PM
Beat me to it  swear2.gif

hi11.gif

Removing the battery and powering up is probably better than putting it back in actually. Good point. If it still won't boot without the battery...there's a bigger issue and it could be just about anything, probably hardware based.

Squid

Quote from: Mayhem on July 28, 2014, 02:46:15 PM
Beat me to it  swear2.gif
bye mere seconds!  hehehe

Thanks everyone - all suggestions GRATEFULLY accepted.  Have a drink on me ->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->  ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Squid

EXCUSE MY LANGUAGE BUT YOU PEOPLE ARE FREAKIN' BRILLIANT!

It powered right up after removing the battery.  THANK YOU!  I got my email addresses.  

What a blessing you all are.  REALLY.  Thanks again.   hi11.gif tumbsup.gif hi11.gif tumbsup.gif hi11.gif tumbsup.gif hi11.gif tumbsup.gif

*edited for one final question:  Should I leave it plugged in overnight to charge that battery or is it likely that the battery is KAPUT!?

Mayhem

Quote from: Squid on July 28, 2014, 02:58:53 PM
EXCUSE MY LANGUAGE BUT YOU PEOPLE ARE FREAKIN' BRILLIANT!

It powered right up after removing the battery.  THANK YOU!  I got my email addresses.  

What a blessing you all are.  REALLY.  Thanks again.   hi11.gif tumbsup.gif hi11.gif tumbsup.gif hi11.gif tumbsup.gif hi11.gif tumbsup.gif

*edited for one final question:  Should I leave it plugged in overnight to charge that battery or is it likely that the battery is KAPUT!?

You're welcome  tumbsup.gif

If the battery is preventing the computer from booting, I wouldn't risk it.

It's probably best to get a new one (if you plan to continue using it).

snap20

The battery may be fine though...and just because it was completely without charge was preventing the computer from starting up (which is common). Sounds to be an old computer though, so I'd agree with Mayhem and get a new battery if you plan on using it. Probably not worth the possible damage.

Squid

No, I don't intend to use it.  For some reason, it chews through fans and I gave up on it.  When I power it up, I have about 10 minutes to do what I need to before it overheats and shuts down.  I'm not putting more into this computer.  It would be nice to have another one to do auto stuff while I work on the other one I have but this laptop is not worth it.  Thanks again, my little pogocheat gems!

snowflower

Quote from: Squid on July 28, 2014, 03:10:25 PM
No, I don't intend to use it.  For some reason, it chews through fans and I gave up on it.  When I power it up, I have about 10 minutes to do what I need to before it overheats and shuts down.  I'm not putting more into this computer.  It would be nice to have another one to do auto stuff while I work on the other one I have but this laptop is not worth it.  Thanks again, my little pogocheat gems!

Me thinks you owes more deliciousness cookies!!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview