PlayBuddy
April 17, 2024, 10:38:18 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Garden Blast : Use 120 rockets or rocket power-up combos this week! [Download Cheat]
World Class Solitaire HD : Place 200 cards into the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

New Computer from Amazon

Started by Sue,

Previous topic - Next topic

snap20

Did a quick look around and if it's the Dell "E2414Hr" then it gets very good reviews it seems. Same goes for the Samsung though. Might come down to preference by you. Does the Samsung have a 3 year warranty too? That might be the only determining factor, I would think.

disneyland lady

I don't know what either are like computerwise as I have not had them but I can tell you that Dell would call me once month because my son gave out MY number when purchasing. And he could afford the payments as he is an M.D. - he just did not like to pay his bills and their late fee was $60 a month! I even gave them his home and work numbers (and even 911 since he is the Coroner for the city) but they kept calling me. I would explain every month that first - they are giving out too much info when calling and they are NOT even calling the zip code he lives in provable very easy by looking at his address. My son swore to me that he did not give out my number (nose is growing) and he said he called them and had that removed but it was not until he paid it all off months later that they quit calling. I always pay in full for large thing but I will never buy Dell just because they do not care that they are bothering someones mother! I can't believe that Dell has a $60 late charge!

Squid

I think that the rate of delinquency on accounts is so great that they will continue to call anyone who is connected to the debtor and will answer the phone.  It's as though they've recruited you to fight for their side by applying social pressure to get the debtor to pay up.  I hate to admit it but if someone owed me the money for months and months, I would keep calling. 

Sue

Another computer question.

I have a password for signing into my computer.

Well yesterday I opened HOMEGROUP for the very first time.
It made me sign into Microsoft with my Microsoft password.

When I went to turn on my computer this morning... lo and behold it now shows my email address and wants my Microsoft password.
I do not want to sign in with my Microsoft password since it is longer.
I want my normal password to be the sign in password like it was.

I tried deleting the homegroup but the password for sign in did not go back to my original password.

I even looked into restoring my computer to a previous time but was afraid to try it.

Please help me get this figured out.

Sue

This is the computer that I decided I wanted for the twins.
But when I went to order it they would not let me use my amazon gift cards cause it was basically from the Lenovo website.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-K450e-57328801-Generation-i5-4460/dp/B00KNM55SM/ref=sr_1_12?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1416458841&sr=1-12&keywords=black+friday+desktops

So now I need help finding a computer that is strictly sold by Amazon that is comparable to price ($500) and specs to the one I really wanted.

So Snappy I need your help again.

snap20

Quote from: Sue on November 26, 2014, 05:02:17 AM
Another computer question.

I have a password for signing into my computer.

Well yesterday I opened HOMEGROUP for the very first time.
It made me sign into Microsoft with my Microsoft password.

When I went to turn on my computer this morning... lo and behold it now shows my email address and wants my Microsoft password.
I do not want to sign in with my Microsoft password since it is longer.
I want my normal password to be the sign in password like it was.

I tried deleting the homegroup but the password for sign in did not go back to my original password.

I even looked into restoring my computer to a previous time but was afraid to try it.

Please help me get this figured out.

I don't have much (any) experience with this so, shooting in the dark unless someone else can chime in. I'm assuming you're using Win7. Did you try leaving the homegroup? Info for that can be found here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/leave-a-homegroup

It says you leave the homegroup...and if everyone leaves the homegroup the homegroup will be deleted.

Can you just change your login password? info for that here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-windows-password#change-windows-password=windows-7

i would think once your homegroup is removed, it's easier to just change your password back to whatever you want it to be. Unless I'm missing something in your post...if I am, please let me know.

snap20

Quote from: Sue on November 26, 2014, 12:14:58 PM
This is the computer that I decided I wanted for the twins.
But when I went to order it they would not let me use my amazon gift cards cause it was basically from the Lenovo website.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-K450e-57328801-Generation-i5-4460/dp/B00KNM55SM/ref=sr_1_12?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1416458841&sr=1-12&keywords=black+friday+desktops

So now I need help finding a computer that is strictly sold by Amazon that is comparable to price ($500) and specs to the one I really wanted.

So Snappy I need your help again.

Well that's dumb that they brag you can use "Amazon Payments" but that really only means you can use a credit card attributed to your Amazon account...not use Amazon gift cards. Figures.

Anyway, you aren't going to find anything that good for that price. That really is a great price for that PC. Best I can find for under $500 is:

This one I'm not sure if you can use Amazon giftcards for, but it's pretty good. Shipping isn't included. It has an HD graphics card, if that's important to you.
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaCentre-57315561-Desktop-Processor/dp/B00CPZJJFK/ref=sr_1_12?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1417035185&sr=1-12

This is basically the same computer as above, but it doesn't have the HD graphics card, it's from Amazon, and uses Win7 rather than Win8. But it is cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KHO0RGQ/ref=psdc_565098_t1_B00CPZJJFK

If you don't mind Dell, this is a pretty solid option. The chip is comparable to the Lenovo you wanted to get, but the RAM and hard drive space is half as much at 8GB and 1TB, which is still plenty. HD graphics available on this one too -
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K0HMSUI/ref=psdc_565098_t1_B00M82HZRE

This Lenovo is pretty solid too. it isn't sold by Amazon, but it is fulfilled by Amazon, so gift cards should work, I think.
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaCentre-Desktop-57324741-Black/dp/B00JOLW41O/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1417035089&sr=1-6

Overall, I'd place the Dell first based on specifications. But I've lost most of my patience with Dell at this point. I refuse to buy anything from them directly anymore as their customer service has gotten non-existent. This one wouldn't be through Dell, but through Amazon, so that would make me consider it at the least. View them all, think it over. Write down specs to compare if you have to. Let us know if you have any questions specifically.

Squid

I just used all my Amazon gift cards on a purchase that was through Amazon but with a different company and it all went through just fine.

Sue

Quote from: snap20 on November 26, 2014, 12:39:38 PM
I don't have much (any) experience with this so, shooting in the dark unless someone else can chime in. I'm assuming you're using Win7. Did you try leaving the homegroup? Info for that can be found here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/leave-a-homegroup

It says you leave the homegroup...and if everyone leaves the homegroup the homegroup will be deleted.

Can you just change your login password? info for that here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-windows-password#change-windows-password=windows-7

i would think once your homegroup is removed, it's easier to just change your password back to whatever you want it to be. Unless I'm missing something in your post...if I am, please let me know.

I am using windows 8.1

I did delete the homepage but it didn't revert my sign-in password back to what it was.

It wont let me change the password back to what I had cause it wont let you re-use an old password.

The only thing I thought would help is reverting to an earlier date on my computer but I have not tried it cause I did not want to screw things up.

snap20

Quote from: Squid on November 26, 2014, 01:44:33 PM
I just used all my Amazon gift cards on a purchase that was through Amazon but with a different company and it all went through just fine.

So any of the links I provide should work. Shame that the Lenovo Sue was going to get was only being advertised on Amazon. That's really stupid, but not surprising given the hold Amazon has on internet sales.

Quote from: Sue on November 26, 2014, 02:25:33 PM
I am using windows 8.1

I did delete the homepage but it didn't revert my sign-in password back to what it was.

It wont let me change the password back to what I had cause it wont let you re-use an old password.

The only thing I thought would help is reverting to an earlier date on my computer but I have not tried it cause I did not want to screw things up.

I don't use restore on my PC so can't really comment on how to do that or use it.

You can change the option to reuse an old password. Check out this post - http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/48562-reuse-old-password.html#post394893

Sue

What is the difference between windows 7 and windows 8?

Sue

This is what I bought last time.

This is offered in Staples AD this week for $379.99 Save $100 Reg. Price $479.99
But I have a coupon for an additional $75.00 off to bring it down to $304.99
Item: 985091
Model: 57311597

Lenovo H430 offers an affordable PC with everything that the whole family needs!
The Lenovo H430 desktop computer offers a host of entertainment features, all at a very reasonable price. Thanks to the smart performance of the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i3 processor, it can handle many popular game titles with ease. It is equally good for web browsing, homework, video playback or editing photo albums. All this makes it an ideal PC for the whole family.
•2nd generation Intel® Core™ i3-2130 3.4GHz 3MB Cache Processor
•4GB DDR3 1333 MHz Memory
•1TB SATA Hard Drive
•Integrated slot-in DVD reader/writer Optical Drive
•Windows 8

Specifications
Desktop Warranty 1 year
Desktop Video Memory shared
Desktop CPU Cache 3MB
Desktop Processor Speed 3.4GHz
Desktop Power n/a
Desktop Audio Up to 5.1 channel surround sound support
Desktop Media Card Reader 6in1 (SD, SDHC, MS, MS-Pro, MMC, MMC Plus)
Desktop Optical Drive Integrated slot-in DVD reader/writer
Desktop Hard Drive Speed SATA
Desktop Hard Drive Size 1TB
Desktop Memory Type DDR3 1333MHz
Desktop Memory Expandable 8GB
Desktop Memory RAM 4GB
Desktop Processor 2nd generation Intel Core i3-2130
Desktop Hard Drive Type n/a
Desktop Special Feature Lenovo Rescue System
Desktop Other Ports headphone, mic, HDMI
Desktop USB Ports 4 x USB 2.0 (rear), 2 x USB 2.0 (front)
Desktop Weight 17.6 lbs
Desktop Dimensions (L x W x H) 17" x 14.5" x 6.8"
Desktop Video Graphics Integrated Intel HD graphics
Desktop LAN Data Transfer Rate 10/100/1000M Ethernet
Desktop Operating System Genuine Windows 8
Desktop Network Card n/a
All in One Desktop No
Desktop Includes Monitor No
Desktop Use Entertainment
Desktop Refurbished No
Touch Screen Enabled No
=======================================================================
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i3647-2309BK-Desktop-Processor/dp/B00K0HMRH2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1417147535&sr=1-2&keywords=dell+desktop+computers

Intel Core i3-4150 Processor
•4GB DDR3
•1 TB Hard Drive
•Windows 8.1

Technical Details

Screen Resolution No monitor included.
Processor 3.5 GHz Intel Core i3 
RAM 4 GB DDR3 
Hard Drive 1024 GB
Number of USB 2.0 Ports  4
Number of USB 3.0 Ports  2

Other Technical Details 

Brand Name Dell
Series Dell Inspiron
Item model number i3647-2309BK
Operating System Windows 8
Item Weight 15.9 pounds
Item Dimensions L x W x H 19.88 x 15.39 x 10.32 inches
Processor Brand Intel
Hard Drive Rotational Speed 7200 RPM

ASIN B00K0HMRH2
Customer Reviews 
4.4 out of 5 stars See all reviews  18 reviews
4.4 out of 5 stars

Best Sellers Rank #221 in Computers & Accessories (See top 100) #4 in Computers & Accessories > Desktops

Shipping Weight 19.7 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
Shipping This item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S.
Date First Available May 1, 2014

How does this one compare to the one I bought last time???
===========================================================================
Today I bought this off of AMAZON so I have around $350 to spend on a computer. Would be willing to go to $450.

Toshiba 50L1400U 50-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED TV

Total Before Tax: $199.00
Estimated Tax:    $0.00
Gift Card:    -$199.00

Order Total:   $0.00

snap20

Sue the Dell is pretty much the same computer you bought last time. Only real difference is that the Dell has a wireless internet card, the Lenovo didn't. Same hard drive, RAM, basically the same processor.

The Lenovo you have is Win8 and the new Dell would be Win8.1, so really no learning curve there at all. Win7 and Win8 are quite different initially, but Win8(.1) can be changed to make it look more like 7 if you need it that way. Since your Lenovo is 8 I would think you already know how to use that then, right?

I say go for it on the Dell if you are fine with basically the same computer as far as specs go. It shouldn't have any issues with anything you want it for. Games should be fine on it for sure.

Sue

Intel Pentium Processor G3240 (3M Cache, 3.1GHz) Processor 3.1 GHz(3 MB cache)

Processor - 4th Generation Intel Core i5-4460 (3.20GHz 1600MHz 6MB) This is the Lenovo I wanted

Processor 3.5 GHz Intel Core i3  Price: $349.99  & FREE Shipping.  This is a Dell
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i3647-2309BK-Desktop-Processor/dp/B00K0HMRH2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1417147535&sr=1-2&keywords=dell+desktop+computers

•2nd generation Intel® Core™ i3-2130 3.4GHz 3MB Cache Processor For the one I already own.

What is the difference between these three?

snap20

Really the only difference is the cache size for the processor. The more cache, the faster the PC will be, at least that's my understanding of it. I don't really know a whole lot about chips, other than speed (3.0+GHz is preferable now days) and that a 6MB cache chip will be "faster" than a 3MB cache chip. But also more expensive. The cache number is basically the same thing as RAM, but it stores it in the processor rather than using the RAM itself because it's faster that way.

Bottom line, 6 is "faster" than 3 for multitasking, but it's doubtful you'd notice it unless you are running intensive programs at the same time as each other.

Sue

I know on my Lenovo I usually have 10-20 windows open and I don't have any problems 99% of the time.
Mostly just websites like pogocheats, facebook, yahoo, and yahoo mail.

snap20

Yeah, that's all with one (or two) browsers though, right? I'm talking more like having multiple programs open at once, that are intensive. Like Photoshop or MS-Access and others all open at the same time. The only slow downs you'd have with multiple internet windows is due to the browser itself, most likely, and/or the speed of your internet connection.

Sue

snap20

if anyone knows more about processors, please chime in. Now that I think about it, the processor cache would only matter with commonly accessed/used data such as operating system itself. Everything else would go through the RAM.

if the PC you choose has 4GB of RAM, you might want to consider upgrading that to 8 though. It's really easy to install...instructions are all over the net (with pictures). if it comes to that, I can help you pick out the right RAM and find detailed instructions. Just feel free to ask.

disneyland lady

My hands are a painful issue as the day goes by so I hated that Win 8.1 makes you keep signing in. Found this and it works - mine automatically signs me me each time it boots:

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)

Enter SIGN, and then tap or click Change sign-in options.

Choose the sign-in option you'd like to use, and then follow the instructions.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview