This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

President Reagan's Shooter Released

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayhem

President Reagan's attempted assassin will be a free man after a federal judge signed off on John Hinckley Jr.'s release from a psychiatric hospital.

Hinckley was found not guilty by insanity for the 1981 shooting that left Reagan with a chest injury. James Brady, his press secretary was paralyzed. A Secret Service agent and a cop were also hit.

Hinckley has been in a psychiatric hospital since his trial. Wednesday morning Judge Paul Friedman said it was a difficult decision, but "The court finds by a preponderance of the evidence that Mr. Hinckley presents no danger to himself or to others in the reasonable future if released."

He must continue treatment and have no contact with the Reagan family or Jodie Foster - with whom he was infatuated when he pulled the trigger.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

35 years in a psych facility.  What a life.  If he is reasonably cured, I suppose it's the thing to do.  If I were Jodie Foster, I'd up the security.

disneyland lady

Brady's death was ruled a homicide 33 years after the shooting. Because of this, I wonder if the police officer (age 82) or the Secret Service Agent (age 67) would now have legal recourse. I mean, by letting him go, the court is saying he is no longer a threat. I am sure these men and their families would beg to differ. I doubt Hinckley's mother at age 90 will be able to police him any better than she did when he was living at home at age 26 and was already collecting weapons.

I believe no internet was part of the conditions.

Yet another sign of Armageddon.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview