PlayBuddy
March 28, 2024, 11:14:46 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Any good Black Friday or Cyber Monday Laptop deals out there?

Started by Squid,

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

I may be interested in buying a good, powerful laptop this weekend with all the sales going on.  It has to be a good gaming puter with all the other good stuff normally found on puters.  The laptop I bought 1.5 years ago (HP Pavilion) is a piece of crap that gives me more aggravation than anything.

Has anyone heard of something good?  I surfed Amazon, Best Buy and Walmart and just got more confuddled!

Mayhem

I haven't seen anything .. but it's tough to know what is good unless someone recommends a brand. That's where I'm currently stuck ... I've been looking for a new monitor for the office computer, but most of the stuff on sale is not that great.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

I'm going to check again today as new sales might emerge online.  If I see anything interesting in monitors, I'll let you know! 

snap20

Honestly, I'd avoid HP computers at all costs. I've had nothing but issues with all things HP for many years (family still insists on buying HP). For a laptop I'd choose Lenovo, Sony (pricey), Dell or Asus. But hey, that's me.

Mayhem, FWIW I have a Samsung monitor and have been pleased with it. I've had it for...maybe 5-6 years and have had zero issues including no dead pixels. It's an LCD though...not LED and not HD. Samsung monitors seem to get a pretty good rep.

Squid

C~M

Quote from: ~Squid~ on November 28, 2016, 07:36:08 PM
I'm trying a Dell for the first time.  Wish me luck!

Good Luck, they suck. The only one I had had to have the HD replaced 3 times because the OS kept messing up and in the end it still happened. Luckily for me it was new and it was all done free. They even sent me a CD of the OS.

Squid

Eeeek!  I have found that I always can find people who are thrilled with a product.  By the same token, I can say the converse and find those who are disappointed.  My very first laptop was an HP and I loved it.  No problems, smooth sailing...

My second HP laptop is a horror show.  Really worthless for my needs despite having very good specs.  It's been back to the manufacturer twice and, aside from not having a fan that sounds like a jet engine anymore, is exactly the same as before the "fix". 

I'm hoping I love the Dell.  I will check it out as thoroughly as I can upon arrival.  I have 30 days to return it should the need arise.

snowflower

We have Dell here Squiddy and the upside is we find them and their support pretty good.
Ah, but the downside is ~ the upside downsides when tangling with their accent, lol.

Mayhem

I've never owned a Dell laptop, but I can say their IPS desktop monitors are top notch. Mine is 6+ years old now - and not one dead pixel and still picture perfect quality. They may be a bit on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for (think mine was $700 delivered).

The only reason I got this new one (BenQ) is because I wanted LED at 144hz refresh rate. It so much easier on the eyes when spending long periods of time on it.

snap20

Quote from: Mayhem on November 29, 2016, 06:32:44 PM
The only reason I got this new one (BenQ) is because I wanted LED at 144hz refresh rate. It so much easier on the eyes when spending long periods of time on it.

144hz refresh you say?   shocked.gif

That must be like velvet for the eyes. lol. I still remember using the old CRT monitors at...what...50? 60? My LCD only supports 60 but, of course, that's different than on a CRT so it's easier. But 144, that would be pretty awesome.

Squid

snap20

Quote from: ~Squid~ on November 30, 2016, 04:20:19 AM
I wish I knew what this Hz refresh stuff is.  Sounds terrific. 

All it is is how fast your monitor refreshes the picture. The lower the number the harder it is on your eyes. When you watch tv shows/movies with those old big box CRT monitors, and you notice it looks like it's "scanning" top to bottom? That's the screen refresh. The lower the number the slower that scan goes. Standard has always been 60 or 72 for CRT monitors. Some supported up to 100Hz. I can tell the difference after less than 5 minutes between 60 and 100 on an old CRT monitor. Usually right away.

Anyway LCD monitors are different in how they refresh, so 60 isn't bad. But the faster (higher the number) rate will only be better for your eyes. Thus 144 would be, simply, incredible.

Mayhem

Quote from: snap20 on November 29, 2016, 07:48:09 PM
144hz refresh you say?   shocked.gif

That must be like velvet for the eyes. lol. I still remember using the old CRT monitors at...what...50? 60? My LCD only supports 60 but, of course, that's different than on a CRT so it's easier. But 144, that would be pretty awesome.

It's quite amazing .. I can spend 12 hours staring at this screen without any issues.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview