Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Java Update when Edge is default

Started by snowflower,

Previous topic - Next topic

snowflower

whistle.gif  shy12.gif   shocked.gif
I couldn't find a string for this Topic .. maybe I missed it?
Please excuse, not very technically inclined (which is a known fact about me), lol.

Now where else would I go for help but to this GREAT site??

If Edge happens to be the default browser, will all Java Updates still work in Chrome, I/Explorer and F/fox? Do I need to change browsers when Java is downloading .... any other rules with Java and Edge I should know about please?
Sometimes I can be so duh!!!!

Thanks to anyone who can help straighten me out on this (probably easy, silly and ridiculous question).
cheesy.gif   dancing16.gif   hi11.gif

Squid

Mayhem

Java is installed as a windows program. So when you update it (in any browser), it will update for all browsers.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

snowflower

Oh gosh thanks Mayhem, you're most likely right!!

I asked this question because when it had begun to install, it informed me that Edge does not use Java (which I knew). Then advised me to open I/Explorer, then after installation was complete to close and reopen I/Explorer to verify that it was installed (which didn't happen when I reopened I/Explorer). So I guess they've thrown a red herring in the Java download mix just to confuse everyone, lol.

(why do they fix things that aren't broken).... ?

Mayhem

To verify Java is working a browser, just go here : https://java.com/en/download/installed8.jsp

That's the page you should have seen after the installation / update was finished.

snowflower

Quote from: Mayhem on February 10, 2017, 07:46:32 PM
To verify Java is working a browser, just go here : https://java.com/en/download/installed8.jsp
That's the page you should have seen after the installation / update was finished.

Thanks so much Mayhem, I've taken note of that link.
It seems there must've been some kind of mix-up ... I used to get that page but this time I didn't. Is it possible if Edge is default, could this have been the reason that page was replaced with the one I was shown, maybe?
Confusinggggggggg, lol.

Mayhem

Yes since Edge doesn't support Java, that's why you never got the normal "verify" page after the update.

Are you using windows 10? If you want, you can change the windows defaults for everything by clicking on the search button (magnifying glass) and search for "Default Programs".

snowflower

Quote from: Mayhem on February 11, 2017, 12:45:58 PM
Yes since Edge doesn't support Java, that's why you never got the normal "verify" page after the update.

Are you using windows 10? If you want, you can change the windows defaults for everything by clicking on the search button (magnifying glass) and search for "Default Programs".

Yes, I'm using win/10 ... and only Edge will run the Buddies. Something happened when I upgraded to win/10 on my desktop... none of the other browsers will allow the Buddies to run. I've researched this issue without success and it only exists on my main desktop. So when I get the Java update, I wasn't sure if I needed to have one of the other browsers as default to accept the update or not.  I mainly use the desktop and when I do the challenges on it, I have to run Edge so my Buddies will work.

The laptop, which I'm using right now, will run the Buddies on all browsers. And I updated this laptop 2 months later in the same way as I did the desktop. Whatever happened during the upgrade with my desktop, didn't happen with my laptop. Strange one, lol. Thanks so much Mayhem ... all very much appreciated!!

Mayhem

Have you tried uninstalling Java on your Desktop computer and reinstalling it to see if that fixes the issue?

If not, I would uninstall > reboot > install > reboot and see if that solves the problem.

snowflower

Quote from: Mayhem on February 12, 2017, 10:04:43 AM
Have you tried uninstalling Java on your Desktop computer and reinstalling it to see if that fixes the issue?

If not, I would uninstall > reboot > install > reboot and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks so much Mayhem, I will try this route next, after the storm we're getting because we've closed off that side of the house until it passes. I'll let you know when I do this. Gosh this is such a great site ... doesn't get much better than this!! Maybe your advice will finally fix the issue!!

Mayhem

Just checking to see if you managed to resolve this issue?

snowflower

The desktop is still out in the computer room which has been closed off for the winter months so I'm still on the laptop.
I'd like to get this issue resolved when I open up that side of the house again ... hopefully we can get back out there in ...April?
I'll let you know when I'm back on my desktop. SO appreciate all this, Mayhem. TY TY TY TY!!!!

Mayhem

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview