This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Pogo Adobe Flash Announcement

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayhem

Adobe released information this week stating browsers will no longer support Flash by 2020.

Pogo has stated that it is converting more games over to HTML 5, so hopefully this announcement will have no effect for current and future players.

Here is what Pogo had to say about this Adobe announcement today :

QuoteHello there, Pogo community!

Adobe released some information this week that stated browsers will no longer support Flash by 2020. While we realize this may seem like light years away, it's never too early to be prepared. You can read the article in full by clicking here.

Please understand that Pogo does not have control over what is going on with Java and Flash as we do not own any of the browsers nor does Pogo own Java or Flash.

Here's a summary of what's to come per each of the web browsers that Pogo supports.

Microsoft – (As stated in the article)
- Through the end of 2017 and into 2018 — Edge will continue to ask users for permission to run Flash on most sites the first time the site is visited, remembering the user's preference on subsequent visits. IE will continue to allow Flash without prompting for permission.
- Mid to late 2018 — Edge will require permission for Flash to be run each session. IE will continue to allow Flash for all sites.
- Mid to late 2019 — Flash will be disabled by default in both Edge and IE. Users will be able to re-enable Flash in both browsers.
- End of 2020 — Flash in Edge and IE will be removed across all supported versions of Windows. Users will no longer have any ability to enable or run Flash.

Google Chrome – Currently players can use Flash if they allow the plugin to run on Pogo.com. At this time, Google hasn't made any announcements to stop allowing Flash earlier than Adobe's planned kill date of 2020.

Mozilla – You can see their detailed listing of Flash plans by clicking here.

September 2017
- Starting with Firefox 56 in September 2017, Firefox for Android will remove all support for plugins.

Late 2018
-In the second half of 2018, Firefox will no longer remember the Flash setting and users will have to choose each session whether to activate Flash.

Early 2019
- In early 2019, Firefox will show a user-visible warning on sites that continue to use Flash.

- A few months after the user-visible warning, Firefox will disable the Flash plugin by default. Users will not be prompted to enable Flash, but it will still be possible to activate Flash on certain sites using browser settings.

- In early 2020, Flash support will be completely removed from consumer versions of Firefox. The Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) will continue to support for Flash until the end of 2020.

- When Adobe stops shipping security updates for Flash at the end of 2020, Firefox will refuse to load the plugin.

http://news.pogo.com/adobe-flash-announcement/
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Stinkerbell

Noooooooo!!! How can that be??? I'll have one less thing I get to complain about if they remove Flash!  girls18.gif

giggle2.gif

Squid

I wish they would convert all games as necessary.  I miss some of the older Java games as weekly challenges.  I feel like so many of the H5 games are similar.

Mayhem

Well it is promising that Aces Up and Sudoku are being converted right now. Hopefully after those Java games are updated, they'll start working on the others.

I wonder why they started with Aces Up though? Just going in alphabetical order?

There are many other Java games that have more people playing in them.

Stinkerbell

I agree, Ken. I like Aces Up! but there are others I like more.

C~M

What about all of the animated badges we have won? Most of them are flash, a few are gif's.

Mayhem

That's a good question!

Is it possible to convert them to GIF format? or is the ~8mb SWF file size too large for conversion?