PlayBuddy
April 19, 2024, 10:42:20 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Garden Blast : Use 120 rockets or rocket power-up combos this week! [Download Cheat]
World Class Solitaire HD : Place 200 cards into the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Solar Eclipse, Monday, August 21, 2017

Started by Squid,

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

The total eclipse will be occurring over the United States from Oregon to South Carolina - where the total blackout will occur.
The rest of us will only get a partial eclipse.  If you'd like to see how it will look from your location, enter a zip code after going to the following site:

http://time.com/4882923/total-solar-eclipse-map-places-view/

DON'T FORGET YOU NEED SPECIAL GLASSES TO LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE ECLIPSE.

You can also fashion a shadow box for indirect viewing.

Mayhem

I have no idea how viewable this will be in my area, but I picked up some solar viewing glasses just in case.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

Good luck!  I should warn people that there are fraudulent glasses out there that don't meet the requirements for eye safety.  Be careful where you buy the glasses.  Check with your local library; they might have glasses.

Mayhem

The ones I got stated :

• ISO 12312-2 for Safe Solar Viewing
• Blocks 99.999% of Intense Visible Light
• 100% Protection from UV and IR Radiation

Squid

I was watching the news and they stated that the ISO number is the thing to look for.  I think you're good to go!  I think even the fraudulent glasses have the other information.  All glass are sold out around me and the libraries are out, too.  I think I'm out of luck but will keep trying.

Mayhem

This post is probably not necessary, but just a reminder that the solar eclipse is happening this morning.

If you snap any pictures, lets post them in here!

Squid

Quote from: Mayhem on August 21, 2017, 09:00:15 AM
This post is probably not necessary, but just a reminder that the solar eclipse is happening this morning.

If you snap any pictures, lets post them in here!
If you snap any pictures, put your protective glasses in front of the lens or you might fry your camera/phone!

Mayhem

Yes, very good tip! I've got a couple pictures already ... getting more and will upload them tonight.

Squid

Saw the eclipse!  Going out one final time but the maximum in this area is over now (71%).

mycatownsme

I watched this on the television. Learned a lot from the different announcers too.
We will only have to wait another 90 plus years for this to happen again.  giggle2.gif

I was told that Amazon sold the special glasses to use and they are bad ones.
Hope everyone who bought from Amazon was able to get the email notice so they don't try to use them.  stop.gif

Squid

Another total solar eclipse will be visible in the United States on April 8, 2024. Traveling a different path from today's eclipse, the total eclipse will be visible in Mexico, the central US and east Canada, with a partial eclipse visible across North and Central America.

The next total solar eclipse from coast to coast in the U.S. will occur on August 12, 2045.  This will be the highlight of the century, with a totality path more than 160 miles wide. A wider totality means the eclipse lasts longer, over six minutes in this case. Major U.S. cities to witness this eclipse will include Salt Lake City, Colorado Springs, Colo., Tulsa, Okla., Montgomery, Ala., and Orlando, Fla.

Mayhem

Sorry about the quality, but it's the best I could get using my solar glasses.

The second picture is the most coverage we saw here in western Canada.

Squid

Mayhem

Yeah, it was really neat to see and looked great through the glasses. It's too bad I couldn't get any better shots with the camera.

mycatownsme

These are great pictures. Would be something to put into a scrap book to pass down to others.
You took these your self and very special. Really nice looking to me.  tumbsup.gif

snowflower

These are great pics Mayhem ... we didn't get to see much here in our location but watched it on television. You hold a very special part of our past 2017 eclipse of the sun, whereas each future eclipse will have differences in their appearance. Well done.

Mayhem

Thanks! I just wish we would had a full eclipse. This video below was sent to me the other day of what totality looks like (like actually being there).

Skip to : 6 minutes 20 seconds

Squid

It really is pretty cool.  Get ready for another in.... 7 years!

Mayhem

I might actually travel to get a better view next time around.  tumbsup.gif

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview