PlayBuddy
April 18, 2024, 07:21:56 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Garden Blast : Use 120 rockets or rocket power-up combos this week! [Download Cheat]
World Class Solitaire HD : Place 200 cards into the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Oh, no!

Started by Squid,

Previous topic - Next topic

S1lent

Greetings Squid, all you other PogoCheats and amateur/professional Computer Technicians,
Wow, unfortunately found lots of problems with the Dell Crashing.  I'll include a couple of them at the bottom.
But found an interesting solution. 
Hey don't we all believe everything we find using google.
S1lent

Possible solution

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds and try booting it up again.
- If it gets stuck on the Dell logo again load into BIOS and reset it to default by pressing F9 then reboot it and see if it would get pass the Dell logo again.
- If these will not work remove the HDD off the laptop and see if it would get pass the Dell Logo because if it does that means the HDD is faulty.
- If it doesn't get pass the Dell splash screen without its HDD that means the problem can be the motherboard.
- Try to remove the CMOS battery then put it back in and see if this will solve the problem or not.
- If it's still under the factory warranty do contact Dell for a repair.

Comment 1
Dell Inspiron 15-5000 purchased in November 2015 and activated in December. Soon thereafter it began randomly freezing. The only way to resolve was a hard restart.
Spent a total of 5.5 hours on with tech support in 2 sessions.  During second we did a soft refresh of Windows10. Then, at the end of the 3+ hour call, it froze. Told that, despite paying for 2nd day on site service, needed to send it in to the repair depot.
Did that. The laptop arrived back 2 days ago. Apparently they did a complete reinstall of Win10.
Began working with the laptop yesterday. Installed Office 2013. Then Norton Security. About an hour or so later it froze again.
Called Dell Support today. Another 3.5 hours on the phone. 2 of those hours were running operating system updates. Also updated BIOS and firmware.
Not sure if this worked or not. If not, any ideas.
This should not be happening to a brand new laptop.
•Inspiron 15-5000, Touch Screen, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive, Windows 10 Home, 6th Generation i5-6200U, Integrated graphics

Comment 2
I had purchased Dell Inspiron 15 7559 laptop in Jan 1st week , 2017. After around a month, windows 10 started giving me issues related to password after the anniversary update. It would not let me enter the password and would just reset. Dell support team helped me with system restore and it worked fine for few days.
But later the same problem was back and dell support team told me to reinstall windows which I did and same thing kept on repeating and I had to reinstall windows as usual. At times, the BIOS would ask em for system password followed by HDD password followed by admin password which I didnt even set. Made this to work by randomly tapping a key 4 times and then clearing passwords in bios setup.
Even tried calling Microsoft and all they did was re-install windows 10. As usual same issues were coming. In the end before sending laptop for repair I started getting BSOD. After I got the laptop back from repair on March 23,2017 where they changed the motherboard and HDD same problems are coming related to password. I tried changing windows to 7 and started getting BSOD, even tried with 8.1 but same result. It even ran diagnostic tests on its own when shutdown(Nothing was connected to the laptop. Not even the power cord).

Is there any way in which I can sort this out because the dell repair center has just made things worse for me? I have already lost my labs and assignments in it. I don't want to waste time on this laptop anymore. Should I get a refund or replacement or store credit(if they give)?

Mayhem

If Squid still has issues and those don't work, my next recommendation is to do a BIOS update.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

I went to my settings page where it said I had a Windows Update, despite having just done one.  It was  A BIG update and took a LONG time.  In settings, it doesn't say what the update pertains to.  I took a chance and updated.  So far, everything seems ok.  The problem with the laptop was happening approximately once a week, so I will wait.  If it occurs again, I'll try yours and or S1lent's suggestions.   

THANKS SO VERY MUCH FOR THE THOUGHTS AND HELP!

Mayhem

I received that update about 2 weeks ago. It basically reinstalls windows and leaves a copy of the old version on your hard drive.

If you're concerned about free space, I would click on the magnifying glass on the task bar and search for "disk cleanup" and run it.

Squid

I just found out today that my Dell warranty runs out in 9 days so I called Dell.  They went through two hours of checks (most of which I already did) and they say there is nothing wrong with the laptop.  They said what I already did might have resolved the matter.  They are going to monitor the laptop x 24 hours.  If anything happens, they will see it and know what to do.   I also received the rep's email and can email him directly after the 24 hour period.  It looks good.  He actually did something to fix blue screen stuff and it came out clean - nothing to fix.  I'll keep ya posted.  When I reboot the laptop, I'm going to run the disk cleanup, thanks

S1lent

Greetings Squid,
That sounds like good news.  But Mayhem gave me bad new (kinda)...he talked about windows 10 updates...so I checked.  Darn, now I need to re-enter my 100 or so passwords to get my autos working again...Takes about 2 hours of cutting and pasting.

Oh how I wish we still had "dial-up" service.   Things were slooooooow at 9600 bits.

Hey...do have a great day all
S1lent aka Ken #2

Squid

Eeek, sounds like a lot of work, S1lent.  GOOD LUCK!

Mayhem

Quote from: s1lentscream on November 20, 2017, 03:24:36 PM
Greetings Squid,
That sounds like good news.  But Mayhem gave me bad new (kinda)...he talked about windows 10 updates...so I checked.  Darn, now I need to re-enter my 100 or so passwords to get my autos working again...Takes about 2 hours of cutting and pasting.

Oh how I wish we still had "dial-up" service.   Things were slooooooow at 9600 bits.

Hey...do have a great day all
S1lent aka Ken #2

Oh, so you got the OS reinstall update well?

S1lent

Happy Thanksgiving Mayhem and all you other PogoCheats,
Yes, I am very disappointed with Windows 10 and all their updates.  I have three PC's and one Apple MacBook Pro that has BootCamp with Windows 10 so 4 computers to keep updated.  I'm disappointed with MicroSoft and all the "Malware, RansomWare and other problems" that get through their system.  If Apple had a bigger share of the market...their problems would also grow.

Yikes, I've been drinking wine and rambling,
Have a great day
S1lent

Squid

Got the BSOD again on 11/22.  I emailed Dell as instructed and they called me when I told them I would be around.  They said the next step was to deal with the BIOS, which they did.  Cross your fingers that this does it!

Thanks for the support, e1.  This stuff makes me feel a little anxious.... not horrible but a little ootzy.   It is too a word!

Mayhem

Quote from: ~Squid~ on November 24, 2017, 08:05:33 AM
Got the BSOD again on 11/22.

sad.gif

If you still have the issue, I'll see what else I can come up with.

Stinkerbell

I still haven't figured out how to update my bios. I tried the directions you gave, Ken, but I couldn't figure it out. Would you be willing to do TeamViewer?

Mayhem

Quote from: Stinkerbell on November 25, 2017, 07:20:16 AM
I still haven't figured out how to update my bios. I tried the directions you gave, Ken, but I couldn't figure it out. Would you be willing to do TeamViewer?

Sure, I can do that for you. The next couple of days are pretty busy for me, but Tuesday or later works for me.

Squid

Got another BSOD.  I'm getting very discouraged.

Mayhem

Quote from: ~Squid~ on November 26, 2017, 04:03:50 AM
Got another BSOD.  I'm getting very discouraged.

Does this happen at completely random times? or usually when you are playing on Pogo - or doing something else?

Squid

Random.  This last time was when the computer was up and running but I didn't have any browser open and I was doing nothing.  My email might have been up at the time but I wasn't doing anything with it.  I was doing something around the house and when I came back, I had the BSOD.  On previous occasions I was jumping around from browser tab to tab doing many things and another time I was only in a program for work, nothing else.  It seems very random to me.

This last time it only took restarting the computer to get things right.  I've emailed Dell yet again - no response yet.

Mayhem

Maybe something is loading at startup that shouldn't be and is creating issues. If you want, I can let you know if something looks out of place.

If so, press [CTRL] + [ALT] + [DEL] and click on "Task Manager". Then click on the "Startup" tab, take a screenshot and email it to me.

Squid

Quote from: Mayhem on November 26, 2017, 09:56:25 AM
press [CTRL] + [ALT] + [DEL] and click on "Task Manager". Then click on the "Startup" tab, take a screenshot and email it to me.

Done.  Thank you for taking a look, Mayhem.

Squid

Another crash.  Called Dell.  Laptop being shipped to Dell - they've done everything they can remotely.

yuck.

S1lent

Greetings,
Let me guess at the Mother Board.

S1lent

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview