PlayBuddy
April 20, 2024, 02:12:40 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Garden Blast : Use 120 rockets or rocket power-up combos this week! [Download Cheat]
World Class Solitaire HD : Place 200 cards into the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

A New Use for Webcams..

Started by Monkey,

Previous topic - Next topic

Monkey

19-year-old Abraham K Biggs commits suicide live on webcam

A TEENAGER has apparently committed suicide in front of a live webcam after being encouraged by people online.

19-year-old Florida resident Abraham K. Biggs, who went by the screen names "CandyJunkie" and "Mr Biggs", told users on a bodybuilding forum he would be committing suicide that night and invited them to watch the live video.

The forum moderators allegedly ignored the post – assuming it was a prank – while other users posted insults and even egged him on.

The teen used the "lifecasting" website Justin.tv – designed to let users share the minutiae of their everyday lives – to stream footage from his bedroom.

Biggs was seen taking several pills before lying on the bed with his back to the camera.

He didn't move, and users claim they realised it was serious a few hours later when they saw he wasn't breathing. Moderators then traced Biggs's location and informed authorities.

The webcam was still streaming live footage of the teen's body as police entered the room. A laser-guided weapon was pointed at the body and an object was thrown at the bed.

Authorities then appeared on the video as they approached the teen's body, checked for a pulse, and covered up the webcam.

Biggs's death was reportedly confirmed by the Broward County medical examiner.

Justin.tv chief executive officer Michael Seibel told online video news website NewTeeVee.com the service relied on users to report inappropriate content.

"As for the broadcaster incident last night, we don't comment on individual videos, however, our policy prohibits inappropriate content on Justin.tv," he said.

"We rely on the community to flag videos that they feel are objectionable. Once a video is flagged, it is reviewed and quickly removed from the system if it violates our Terms of Use."

Some forum users allegedly began deleting their posts after the incident and an official thread – including Biggs' full name – was posted by moderators.

Biggs's friends have posted "RIP" messages on his MySpace page, with some still asking him to pick up his phone, and others changing their statuses to "devastated".

The teen described himself as a "good hearted guy" on his social networking profile.

"I care a lot about my friends and my family and I would do almost anything for them," he said.

"I am very goal oriented, I know what I want to do with my life and I am working towards it."

Biggs last posted on MySpace three days before he committed suicide in a wall post about taking sleeping pills. A week ago he left a message about closing a chapter in his life and apologised to his friends for his behaviour.

The circumstances of the teen's suicide are similar to another incident last year, when a man hung himself in front of a live webcam as internet users egged him on.

:o 6_6.gif

FreecellFanny

As a parent I am absolutely horrified by this story. I can't imagine what this boys family must be going through.  6_6.gif

As a human being I am disgusted that nothing was done. So what if they thought it was a fake, a joke. This could have been prevented by those watching.

Tara

CrystalDawn

:( it's so sad to hear & see all this "media & my space"  bbq21.gifyou cant blame these kids "parents" this world is full of "violent & ignorant" people......with this kid & cayle.......makes me want to move to "hawaii" or even better space.......

jamrow32

just goes to show that people will watch anything for thrills.   Then they have to go to therapy to "get over" seeing someone kill themselves.  Just as bad as people who slow down to see the aftermath of a car wreck just hoping to see someone dead or maimed.  Sick...just sick

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview