PlayBuddy
March 28, 2024, 03:20:46 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Any tips for getting rid of wheezing cough?

Started by hotpinklovesofa,

Previous topic - Next topic

hotpinklovesofa

My upper respiratory condition has gotten a little better as I've started weaning myself off the meds and supplements.  I had an awful response to antibiotics (severe acid reflux even though I took them with food as directed) and the lung supplements encouraged coughing which I understand is to get rid of the gunk but it also caused me to pull a muscle from the frequent and violent coughing so I finally took a suppressant yesterday to give my lungs, chest, back and rib a break.  Are there any alternative therapies that people have actually had success with that don't involve baking soda and apple cider vinegar?  Tried them, didn't work and made my acid reflux condition even worse (baking soda is known to relax the LES valve.  The wheezing is driving me crazy and I would really prefer to not take the suppressant again but it's looking like I might have to.

Thanks.

harley89

I have had success with Aloe Vera juice.  I take 8oz a day.  Now plain this is the foulest tasting stuff you will ever try to drink. Mix it with a juice you like.  I use cranberry juice.   There is info on Aloe Vera on the internet. Read up on it.  I found as a side effect my joint issues improved  Good luck

hotpinklovesofa

Thanks.  I heard that's good for acid reflux as well although I'm on day 3 of a 14-day Prilosec treatment and that's really helped a lot. Do I assume correctly that you get it straight from the leaf?

gran2x2

I buy mine at walmart...they have several different flavors..not bad tasting at all..

C~M

you could buy a bottle of Primatene® Mist, which is for asthma. I knew a guy who used up his prescription in a day huffing it to get high so he would go steal a bottle of that to use for his asthma. My dad uses the prescription kind and gave me a bottle and I used it when I would wheeze. Now I'm on the prescription after my bout with Pneumonia.

Breathe easy with Primatene® Mist, the #1 over-the-counter medicine sold for the relief of physician-diagnosed, bronchial asthma   
Starts to open clogged breathing passages and relieve bronchial asthma in as fast as 15 seconds.
The fastest type of asthma relief available without a prescription.
The #1 over-the-counter medicine sold for the relief of physician-diagnosed, bronchial asthma.

Uses:
for temporary relief of occasional symptoms of mild asthma:
wheezing, tightness of chest, shortness of breath

Primatene® Mist is available in:               
1/2 fl oz (15 mL) with mouthpiece (actuator)
1/2 fl oz (15 mL) refill

Drug Facts:
Active ingredient (in each inhalation)   Purpose
Epinephrine 0.22 mg...   Bronchodilator

Uses:
for temporary relief of occasional symptoms of mild asthma:
wheezing. tightness of chest. shortness of breath

Warnings:
Asthma alert: Because asthma can be life threatening, see a doctor if you
are not better in 20 minutes
get worse
need 12 inhalations in any day
use more than 9 inhalations a day for more than 3 days a week
have more than 2 asthma attacks in a week
For Inhalation only

Do not use:
unless a doctor said you have asthma
if you are now taking a prescription monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (certain drugs taken for depression, psychiatric or emotional conditions, or Parkinson's disease), or for 2 weeks after stopping the MAOI drug. If you do not know if your prescription drug contains an MAOI, ask a doctor or pharmacist before taking this product.

Ask a doctor before use if you have:
ever been hospitalized for asthma. heart disease,
high blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid disease, seizures,
narrow angle glaucoma, a psychiatric or emotional condition,
trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland

Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are:
taking prescription drugs for asthma, obesity, weight control, depression, or psychiatric or emotional conditions
taking any drug that contains phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, or caffeine (such as for allergy, cough-cold, or pain)

When using this product:
increased blood pressure or heart rate can occur, which could lead to more serious problems such as heart attack and stroke. Your risk may increase if you take more frequently or more than the recommended dose.
nervousness, sleeplessness, rapid heart beat, tremor, and seizure may occur. If these symptoms persist or get worse, consult a doctor right away.

avoid caffeine-containing foods or beverages.
avoid dietary supplements containing ingredients reported or claimed to have a stimulant effect.
do not puncture or throw into incinerator. Contents under pressure.
do not use or store near open flame or heat above 120°F (49°C). May cause bursting.

Contains CFC 12, 114, substances which harm public health and environment by destroying ozone in the upper atmosphere.

If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.
Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.

Directions:
do not exceed dosage
supervise children using this product
adults and children 4 years and over: start with one inhalation, then wait at least 1 minute. If not relieved, use once more. Do not use again for at least 3 hours.
children under 4 years of age: ask a doctor

Other information:
store at room temperature, between 20-25°C (68-77°F)
contains no sulfites
see insert for mouthpiece use and care instructions

Inactive ingredients: ascorbic acid, dehydrated alcohol (34%), dichlorodifluoromethane (CFC 12), dichlorotetrafluoroethane (CFC 114), hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, purified water

Questions or comments? Call 1-8 PRIMATENE or 1-877-462-8363

harley89

primatine Mist is not longer available. Production stopped . Unless you have a stockpile or willing to pay over $90 a bottle will not be able to find.    It contain fluorocarbons and those are not allowed.  I have 4 bottles that I got while it was still in stores.  It works well on sudden onset asthma. And since I only have 1 or 2 attacks per year made more sense than paying for script steroid based inhaler.   As for the cough itself. With some searching you will likely find a herbal that will help.  One thing I remember when my daughter was little and had surgery on her chest. She was given a breathing treatment which was a mist/steam type.  breathing in the vapors. While that was going on a nurse would hit her on the back in different places.(she called it her beating)  A little harder hit that burping a baby. The mist/steam loosen the congestion and the hits to the back made you start coughing.  One thing I would like to stress is if a alt method will work great. But do not risk your health if they do not. I just remembered  a doctor I see loves to use natural cures. bring water to a boil and steep a ginger root and cinnamon stick.(making tea).  it tastes great and I felt better. I still drink it because I like it.

C~M

Quote from: harley89 on May 20, 2012, 06:10:38 AM
Primatene® Mist is no longer available. Production stopped

Sorry, their site didn't show that upfront, but they do sell Primatene® Tablets now.

hotpinklovesofa

Thank you everyone for the info.  I have asthma so I'm already using a steroid inhaler and I wouldn't want to mix that with the primatene tabs b/c it could have an ill effect.  Coincidentally, I ordered a home nebulizer compressor (the machine that vaporizes meds and saline into a mist for easy inhalation) on Friday but it won't get here for a few days which is why I was looking for an alternative method to get rid of or at least lessen the wheezing and excessive coughing until it's delivered.  An otc cough suppressant really only works for a few hours and if I took it as soon as I started coughing again I would be seriously overdosing.  I already take the maximum dose as it is.  There's nothing I can do really except wait.  Upper respiratory stuff sucks and these new HFA 'rescue' inhalers are a joke which is why I have a friend bringing me a stash of the old ones from Europe which happen to be otc over there.  I'm all about going green and make more of an effort than the average person but would never at the cost of my health.  A lesson to be learned from our friends across the pond.  Not to mention birth control which is also otc over there given the overt attacks on women's healthcare lately in this country.  For the aloe I'm going to invest in a plant and just harvest it myself and add it to my morning green smoothies.  I've been looking for an anti-inflammatory to add besides the garlic which doesn't always blend out the taste.  You'd think with all the veggies, fruits and lean proteins I eat that I wouldn't have gotten so sick but some things you can't help, especially if you're immune system is already compromised b/c of an existing condition like asthma even if it's usually mild.

harley89

Thats good to hear asthma for me is minor for others not so. But when you suddenly find yourself unable to breathe it scares the life out of you.  Especially the ones that wake you up from a sound sleep

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview