This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

What would you do?

Started by mycatownsme,

Previous topic - Next topic

mycatownsme

Hello All, who are taking the time to read this and hopefully reply.
My Vista windows computer is not updating 3 windows updates but otherwise it seems to be doing the other updates. I originally called an online site that I have been using for the past 2 years because my dvd/cd player recorder is not working. In the past when I would insert a cd for example, I would get a pop up box and be able to click on what I wanted to use to play the item and it would go from there. Now I get nothing. So this is when they started to work on my computer and told me
they could not find a fix to this problem and want me to backup my computer and then they will set my computer to factory settings to when I first got it. I do use an online back up company so I do have all but my photos, email, documents, music, settings and manually I do the videos and files larger then 4GB but no external hard drive backup and no full system Mirror Image backup.
I do not feel like this is my only option. It seems like there should be another way to try to get the dvd/cd working and see how the computer works as far as the windows updates in the future.
I have concerns getting all of the programs and things that I have gotten since the beginning like my printer back on here and this company charges  me sessions for each thing they do. They will not add these back as one session.
Any one have any suggestions to how I can try to get the dvd/cd working on my own? Or do the factory restore? Or what?
Lin

gran2x2

My disc player quit working right and I took it to a local pc shop for a diagnostic and had them fix it and cost me 30 bux...I like doing business face to face when I can if it's gonna cost me money for a repair...But that's just me...Hope you get it fixed soon... tumbsup.gif

Mayhem

Go to : Start Button > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound -> AutoPlay (or just Autoplay if you're in classic view).

Put a checkmark (or uncheck it) beside "Use Autoplay for all media and devices" - and see if that solves your issue.

In this section, you can also set 'default actions' for all media devices.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

snowflower

mycatownsme

Hello  hi11.gif
I apologize for not coming back sooner. My husbands brother was driving his car and got into an accident due to a heat attack.
Luckily this happened in front of EMT people who were there and able to work on his brother right away. This was like angels standing by and just happened to be there.
They brought him back 2 times to having a heart beat and he is now transferred from his local town hospital to a hospital that is an hour away with much better doctors and equipment. He is in intensive care and on a resperator and has a high temperature and high blood pressure. They have him sedated. The doctors found he needs to get heart by pass surgery. They hope to get his temperature and blood pressure to normal and do the surgery Monday. Please forgive, ok?

Mayhem- This Windows Vista Control panel only shows Add Hardware on the darn Control Panel. I looked for anything else that had that word hardware in it and found nothing. But I do thank you for trying to help me.

Gran2x2- I think I may try what you did. Trouble is that I live in a small town and I really don't want to go to Best Buy or the higher end stores like that due to how much they charge. I wish I could find a good repair place somewhat close to where I live and bring this in to them to fix. I may need to look into this further.  Thank you for the tip and help.

Snowflower and Squid - Thank you for the reply and support. I really appreciate it more then words can say.

And now I find my mouse is not working and my enter key is sticking. Geesch...

In case I'm not able to be back here due to my personal stuff with hubbys brother, I wish to say Happy holidays to all and will be back asap. I enjoy pogo cheats and really miss it when not able to be here.

Ending with a big HUG and friendship - Lin =^o.o^=

snap20

Check out this link, specific to Vista. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-autoplay-in-windows-vista/

Under the section titled "Disable for a single type" you'd want to probably choose "ask me every time" in the drop down menu for each option. That should solve that. Start from the top though and follow the instructions there. Hopefully that works.

Good luck to your brother in law and your family. Hope everything works out alright...

mycatownsme

I'll check this link and see if it helps.

We got a call from my niece and she said we should come to the hospital. They were going to try to bring my brother in law out of the coma. So now we are thinking the worse.

I wanted to do something while waiting for my hubby to get ready to go. So decided to check here.

Thank you snap.  I'll update, when I can try this link, and let you know if it works.  tumbsup.gif

MsMissy

Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law & hope the Dr's can get his blood pressure down & temperature too. Im glad someone can help you with Vista, as I have never had a computer with it. so nice of the people who no about other putters can help you.  Good luck with your brother in law.  GodBless    hi11.gif

mycatownsme

Big Thank You Snap!  hi11.gif I followed the directions and it works! I'm so glad you took the time to help out.  elf2.gif

I agree MsMissy. I have gotten so much help and support and such friendly people on board. I appreciate this place very much!

elf2.gif

snap20

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview