PlayBuddy
April 20, 2024, 04:25:03 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Garden Blast : Use 120 rockets or rocket power-up combos this week! [Download Cheat]
World Class Solitaire HD : Place 200 cards into the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

New Computer from Amazon

Started by Sue,

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue

This is the specs for the last computer I got a few years ago.

Now I have $500 to spend at AMAZON on a new computer for my twins birthday and Christmas combined.

The boys play Minecraft and want to be able to download other games to this new computer.

I have no idea what computer to get them and need help from you all.

It does not have to be $500. It can be way less if I get the computer I want.

Please help me pick out one, since I am lost.

I would like it to have some word program so the twins can type school work.

OS Name   Microsoft Windows 8.1
Version   6.3.9600 Build 9600
Other OS Description    Not Available
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Name   MOODYRIVERS
System Manufacturer   LENOVO
System Model   10091
System Type   x64-based PC
System SKU   LENOVO_MT_1009
Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date   LENOVO ESKT19A, 9/12/2012
SMBIOS Version   2.7
Embedded Controller Version   255.255
BIOS Mode   UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer   LENOVO
BaseBoard Model   Not Available
BaseBoard Name   Base Board
Platform Role   Desktop
Secure Boot State   On
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)   4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory   3.89 GB
Available Physical Memory   1.96 GB
Total Virtual Memory   5.26 GB
Available Virtual Memory   2.39 GB
Page File Space   1.38 GB

snap20

Actually, what you have should be more than sufficient for what you want it for. It surpasses all of the minimum requirements for Minecraft, which would be the most intensive program for what they want to use it for. Are you just upgrading or buying a 2nd one just for them? If it's an upgrade or replacement for what you already have, I'd recommend just spending the money on something else.

If you are dead set on getting a new one, take what you have in your original post and just look for one in your price range that's the same specs or better. The main components you want to watch out for are processor speed (3.40GHz on your current, that should be more than enough), RAM (4.00 GB right now is good enough, but may want to expand that to 8).

Hard Drive space, might as well go for 1TB if you can. You can never have too much hard drive space.

As for word program, I don't know what new computers come with now, but they should still come with MS Works or something like it. if not, you can always go with LibreOffice (http://www.libreoffice.org/) which is basically Microsoft Office but free and open source. There might be a bit of a learning curve if you (or they) are used to MSWord, but it's not that much different.

As far as brand, personally, I avoid HP, Gateway and Acer without question. I prefer Lenovo, Asus and as a last resort Dell. I'd also assume that you wouldn't need a monitor...that might change what you could afford.

I can recommend specific models if you'd like...but I figured I'd start there.

Sue

I am getting another computer because our current second computer is old and lags.

Plus it is all I am getting them for their Birthday/Christmas.

I have saved all my BING credits for AMAZON credit.

There are so many computers on AMAZON that I am lost.

Snappy - Could you look on AMAZON for me??? Pretty please.

snap20

Ah, okay, gotcha. I'll take a look now and link some ones I'd recommend.

snap20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KHO06QW/ref=psdc_565098_t3_B00ASHH59E
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KHO0RGQ/ref=psdc_565098_t1_B00KHO06QW

The first one has windows 8, the 2nd one has windows 7 and 2 more GB of RAM for $40 less. I guess it depends on if you are okay with Win7 or not. If you are ok with 7, I'd recommend the 2nd one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K0HMSUI/ref=psdc_565098_t2_B00DEXQ6DU - This one is pretty solid. 8 GB of RAM which, is good.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LSRWCM8/ref=psdc_565098_t1_B00DEXQ6DU
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LSRW8P4/ref=psdc_565098_t3_B00LSRWCM8

These two are another Win8/Win7 choice. The 2nd one is Win7 but has a quad core chip (3.9GHz, which is really fast) also has 8GB of RAM, which is great. For the price, this is a pretty solid machine. I like ASUS...they are on the "cheaper" side when it comes to computers, but for the prices they make great products. It's inexpensive...not cheap. It's nice to see they check Amazon reviews for customer complaints as well.

If I had my choice, I'd pick the last one I linked. But please, look through them all and check out the reviews. Try to take the 1 and 2 star reviews with a grain of salt, a lot of them come from users that either don't know what they are doing in the first place and complaining about "user error", or petty complaints like a mouse or keyboard. Easily replaceable parts.

Sue

snap20

Not a problem, Sue.

I'd encourage anyone else knowledgeable about computers to freely chime in. I just offer up my opinions...someone more informed might have other opinions and can contribute.

Sue, if you have any other questions about anything once you check them out, feel free to ask.

Stinkerbell

I have a friend who needed to get a computer for her daughter for school but didn't want to spend a lot of money. They got her an Asus and they love it.

snowflower

cheerleading.gif

How could you not love this site ... always here ... always so helpful!!
I may not be around as much as usual, but I still come in and read EVERYTHING
and you'd be surprised how much of this info I've needed and used.

love30.gif   Thanks for being here ... all of you!

disneyland lady

I saw this on Amazon today:

Black Friday Deals Are Here Early with Our Countdown Event
Black Friday 2014 is almost here, but we didn't want you to wait until the day after Thanksgiving for Black Friday deals, so we kicked off the savings a little early. We are counting down to the big day with even more deals, all day, every day. You'll find Amazon's fantastic early Black Friday sales right here. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our daily deals e-mails so you don't miss any deals

snap20

Quote from: Sue on November 19, 2014, 08:48:08 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-K450e-57328801-Generation-i5-4460/dp/B00KNM55SM/ref=sr_1_12?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1416458841&sr=1-12&keywords=black+friday+desktops This is a black Friday special.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LSRW8P4/ref=psdc_565098_t3_B00LSRWCM8 This was your favorite.

Snappy - Can you compare the two for me?

Pretty similar actually. The only major difference is operating system. The deal PC has Windows 8.1, the Asus has Win7. The processors are comparable because Intel chips tend to be a bit better nowadays.

Actually, the Lenovo is purchased through the actual Lenovo site and I looked at the specs there. The specs on the Lenovo site differ from the ones on the Amazon description. The PC on the Lenovo site is much better. 16GB of RAM and a 2TB hard drive. That's double the Asus. The chip is faster too. If the deal on the Lenovo gets you under the $500 threshold go for it. It looks like you can still use "Amazonpayments" on the Lenovo site, so you should be good to go.

Sue

Squid

Snappy, you're the best!  Big hug for helping Sue out.   embrace.gif

snap20

hi11.gif

It's one of the few ways I can help contribute since I don't use autos so can't really help those in the challenges/badges section. So it's a way I can give back to the community that helps me.

Let us know how you like it when you get it Sue.

Sue

TV & Monitor Display Technology:LED-Lit|LCD|CRT|Laser|Plasma

What is the difference between a LED-Lit and a LCD???

Mayhem

LED is the newer technology - it will provide more realistic and sharper colors + better viewing angles.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Sue

Thanks Mayhem
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staples has these two monitors on sale Thursday for $99.99 each.
I am not sure which one is better but I am thinking the Samsung one is.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Samsung S24C230BL 23.6" LED Monitor has everything in clarity to easily view all programs!

Item: 170344
Model: VQ9784

Samsung LED Monitor measuring 21.98" x 17.01" x 8.76" is compatible with computers running Mac or Windows and fits into almost any office environment. 23.6" Monitor with 1920 x 1080 resolution includes VGA cable, install CD and quick setup guide.
•23.6" LED Monitor Display
•Resolution 1920 x 1080
•Contrast Ratio 1000:1 (Static)
•Response Time: 5ms
•Brightness: 250cd/m2
•Viewing Angle (H/V): 170°/160°
•Interface: VGA, DVI
•Compatibility: Windows, Mac
•Embedded Function: Magic Upscale, Multi Screen S/W, Samsung MagicBright3, Off Time, Image Size
•Included: VGA cable, Install CD (Manual), Quick Setup Guide
•21.98" x 17.01" x 8.76", 8.58 lbs. (with stand)
•21.98" x 14.22" x 1.94", 7.7 lbs. (without stand)

The Dell 24 Monitor is your smart choice for essential productivity features, unmatched reliability, and energy-saving environment and regulatory compliance. In addition, the Dell 24 Monitor offers family entertainment features and the security of Dell's Limited Hardware Warranty and Advanced Exchange Service.
•Response Time: 5ms
•Dimensions: W 22.44" x D 6.46" x H 16.47" (With Stand)
•Viewing Angles: 160 horizontal / 170 vertical viewing angles
•In-plane switching, anti-glare
•Wieght (with stand and cables) : 9.88 lbs
•Warranty: 3 years (parts and labor)

snap20

If you have the model number of the Dell, do a google search with the model number in quotes and then something like 'review' (without quotes) next to it. Read what some others have to say about it. Try to avoid places like Dell itself and take some reviews with a grain of salt, as most companies pay people to give good reviews of their products. Best places to read real experiences is tech forums and audio/video forums. They are usually real, active users of the products.

I have a Samsung LCD monitor I've had for a few years now, and it's been great. I actually still have no dead/bad pixels and use it multiple hours every day. Also have a Samsung HDTV (plasma) and very happy with it. Samsung makes some great monitors/tvs.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview