This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Windows update - UGH

Started by Squid,

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

Hi, gang.  I'd like to ask for a bit of help/advice, if possible.  Thanks in advance.

I thought I had disabled automatic windows updates but something must be wrong because during the night, an update occurred.  Now my system is so slow and I keep getting IE errors.
Here are my questions/requests:

1.  Exactly how do you stop automatic Windows updates? 

2.  If I successfully stop windows updates, how do I know which are important to manually do and which I should avoid?

3.  If the recent Windows updates over the last month have really messed up my laptop, making it so slow it's barely worth using, how do I do a system restore to predate those Windows updates?

4.  Will doing that system restore help me?  (I've never done a restore before)

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Pentium
IE 11
Chrome is up to date Version 39.0.2171.95 m
Intel(R) Core (TM) i3=2350M CPU @ 2.30 GHz
64 bit Oper. Syst.
4 GB RAM
Hard drive 398 GB free of 449 GB

Thanks again for any possible assistance.

blowkisses.gif

Sue

Exactly how do you stop automatic Windows updates? 

Open Windows Update by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or, if you're using a mouse, pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer up), tapping or clicking Settings, tapping or clicking Change PC settings, and then tapping or clicking Update and recovery. 

2. Tap or click Choose how updates get installed.

3. Under Important updates, choose the option that you want.

4. Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box.

5.Under Microsoft Update, select the Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows check box, and then tap or click Apply.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will restore system take me back to a point before a windows update?

How to Set a Restore Point in Windows 7

1. Click the 'Start' button. Right-click 'Computer' on the right side of your computer's Start menu. Select 'Properties' from the context menu.
2. Click 'System Protection' in the left panel of the 'Properties' window. Type your administrator password or click 'Allow' if User Account Control is enabled on your system.
3. Switch to the 'System Protection' tab in the 'System Properties' dialog. Click the 'Create' button to save a new restore point for your computer.
4. Type a description or a date for your manually created restore point, then click the 'Create' button to save the System Restore point.
5. Click 'Close' when the System Restore point is saved. Close the 'System Properties' dialog and the computer's control panel. Your System Restore point is saved to your computer's hard drive and is accessible through the System Restore interface.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do I stop a Windows update that is already downloaded but the computer hasn't restarted yet?
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=A0LEV1.rTIxUDmIAuHpXNyoA?qid=20090120200249AAYf6kg

Squid

snap20

There has to be something else going on...Windows Update shouldn't slow down your computer after installing updates automatically. The automatic one only installs critical updates, not the optional ones. The computer will slow down during download and install, that would be normal, but once the installs are completed, it should be back to normal.

You do need to make sure to do a full restart once the updates are applied. Make sure the laptop is plugged in first and let the updates finish installing at shut down. And they will continue at the next start up.

There has to be some other reason for the slow downs. Take a look at the "Answer" here - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/windows-7-pro-64bit-is-extremely-slow-after-latest/b3eb9556-2a62-4bf7-be58-4df4f02d339d

That's a place to start anyway.

Squid

TY Snap, I'll check this out, too.  I appreciate all input.  THANKS!

snap20

Also wanted to mention CCleaner - https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Can help clean up windows files that get left behind, especially in windows updates. If you've never used it before, make sure you understand what is being "cleaned" before actually using it. Everything that is selected by default is generally okay, but there are some other areas you might want to double check. If you want to give it a try and I can tell you what to look for in particular and things to watch out for. Just let me know.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview