PlayBuddy
April 18, 2024, 10:06:26 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Garden Blast : Use 120 rockets or rocket power-up combos this week! [Download Cheat]
World Class Solitaire HD : Place 200 cards into the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Need advice on new computer

Started by mycatownsme,

Previous topic - Next topic

mycatownsme

A shop at home channel H S N has a pretty good price on a 8.1 windows computer that is HP.
8 g ram and 1 ter . It has the windows touch with a little over 15 inch screen. But they say it can be changed to the screen like I am used to using if I want.
It has a lifetime support which I really will need.
I don't know if this will run BW autos.
And if it will be too much to move to from a Windows Vista 8 year old computer for me to do.
Total price is $636 on this newer one. They throw in other programs to add to lure me infor free.
There are classes on the computer to use and learn along with the tech support.
But nothing will be good if I can't use it at Pogo. I have 30 days to try it out but I don't want to get it if it isn't what I need for Pogo.
If there is anyone who can help me out in this decision, I really would appreciate it lots.
Lin

Sue

A 15" screen seems awful small for $636.

It has 8.1 Windows but Windows 10 should be available soon so this new computer would be out to date real soon as far as Windows goes.

Snappy is the one who knows a lot about computers. Wait until he wakes up for his assistance.

http://www.hsn.com/todays-special

417-173

HP
HP 15.6" Touchscreen LED, AMD Quad-Core, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD Laptop with Software and Lifetime Tech Support

Be the first to write a review

Retail value: $1,366.46

HSN price: $729.95

$599.95

You save $130.00 today!

or 6 FlexPays of $99.99

FREE SHIPPING

Stinkerbell

Quote from: mycatownsme on March 21, 2015, 11:48:48 PM
A shop at home channel H S N has a pretty good price on a 8.1 windows computer that is HP.
8 g ram and 1 ter . It has the windows touch with a little over 15 inch screen. But they say it can be changed to the screen like I am used to using if I want.
It has a lifetime support which I really will need.

The specs Sue listed sound pretty good for the price, Lin. It should easily run Pogo and BW autos. I have a laptop and sometimes the BW auto says the screen is chopped, all I have to do is adjust the scroll bar on the side and I'm off and running!

mycatownsme

I'm so thankful for these replies. I know I need this help.
I will check back to see if Snappy stops by and sees this to reply.
Or anyone who has some advice.
I can walk away from this if need be and wait too.
I hope to make as much of an informed choice as possible.
The computer I use now has windows vista and that turned out to be one
Challenge after another. And now it's getting slower and slower to start
And I think it will stop working soon.
I also wonder about the versions 8 and 8.1. Seems like there was a lot of
Negative talk about them. I just don't know if the negative got fixed.
If it will be better to pass this up and end up paying more but getting
Something that will be better, I will do that.
I mainly want the computer to be able to run BW autos.  elf2.gif
Lin
Thank you (Sue & Stinkerbell)  embrace.gif

Squid

mycatownsme

Hi Squid,
You are right, 8.1 is the way to go and the computer in question did have it.
I got an answer about this computer that stopped me in my tracks.
I can find pretty much the same thing at Best Buy or Amazon for $350 cheaper,
Along with a few other personal reasons.
I will wait.
Thanks for the help.
embrace.gif Lin

I edited my post To reflect the main reason why I made my decision.

Stinkerbell

AMD is not a bad processor. I don't understand why people get so down on them. They've been around forever, and people who build computers often prefer AMD to INTEL. The new computer I bought has AMD, and I'm loving it!

mycatownsme

Hi Stinkerbell,  elf2.gif
This is good news about your computer working well for you.
I can not point my finger at just that one item and only put two reasons here.
It was a combination of several personal things that I use the computer for that helped make my decision.
I do not know enough about computers to make any blanket statement on what is or is not good.
I believe you and glad you replied. I would not want anyone making a decision on my last post.
My apology if I offended you or anyone. I appreciated the help to decide.
My brother thinks I'm crazy for not using an Apple product and only that.
I respect his opinion but for what I use my computer for and the money I have to spend, it's not for me.
But for now, I will hope my computer hangs in there for a while.
And I will keep looking around and doing my research.
Lin  cat64.gif

snap20

The specs were absolutely good enough for autos and pogo. More than enough really.

Glad you didn't pull the trigger on the purchase though...since it was way over priced. You can use the specs though as a baseline for what to look for going forward. If you don't plan on using a touch screen anyway, look for one without it since it will be cheaper that way.

Personally, I prefer Win7 but there is nothing wrong with Win8.1. I also would never purchase an HP product, but again, that's a personal choice.

Squid

Quote from: snap20 on March 22, 2015, 09:24:50 PM
I also would never purchase an HP product, but again, that's a personal choice.

I have an HP printer that has lasted longer than any other printer I've ever had over the last 20 years.  *Knock wood*

snap20

Quote from: Squid on March 23, 2015, 04:10:20 AM
I have an HP printer that has lasted longer than any other printer I've ever had over the last 20 years.  *Knock wood*

Back when the products they made were good? :P  I got tired of having to fix or replace the HP printers my parents would buy, so I forced them to get a Brother. Zero issues since. It's lasted far longer than any HP printer they've had...

Hope you continue to have good luck! *knocks wood too*

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview