PlayBuddy
April 23, 2024, 12:44:15 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Garden Blast : Use 120 rockets or rocket power-up combos this week! [Download Cheat]
World Class Solitaire HD : Place 200 cards into the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Any techy geeks around???

Started by gran2x2,

Previous topic - Next topic

gran2x2

Here is my problem...Grandsons laptop has a corrupted version of IE I think. He keeps getting a pop up to call a # for help removing a adware/virus problem. With IE he can not connect with websites. I finally got FF installed and he can get online again but it is very very slow etc. His antivirus is expired..his mom had norton on it(yuck). I tried to d/l avast to run a scan but it will not complete the install. I know he has some spyware chit interferring with it all. Is there a virus/spyware program that I can d/l to a cd from my laptop to run on his lappy for cheap or free?  I know he needs a major clean up and just can't figure out how to get it done. Thanks.....

Squid

MalwareBytes:  free version:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

CCcleaner:  freeware

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Good luck.  Sounds like some dastardly program has your G-son's puter by the Gazoings! 

I'm sure other people have suggestions.

gran2x2

I need something that I can d/l from my pc to a cd disc to run in his because his will not let them install and run...I did try both of those you named..will not complete the install. He is a typical teen but has autism and God only knows what he has gotten on it.

Squid

ok, someone much more techy-ish than I will have to let you know what might work from that route.  GOOD LUCK!  I hate puter problems.  Like Stikky keys-lol.  Best of luck, Gran.

Mayhem

You need to install Malwarebytes Chameleon - this version will install Malwarebytes on an infected computer (and bypass anything trying to block program installs).

http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/chameleon
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

gran2x2

cheerleading.gifThanks Mayhem...off to try it....Will be back with an update....THANKS to you too squiddy...appreciate the effort....

UPDATE... got malware installed and a scan running...cross your fingers!!!!

Squid

Wooo hoooo!   Ken to the reskue!  So glad you got so^^ething on the puter!  Hope it works!  As you kan see, I still ha\/e stikky keys!  LOL, ti^^e to try the alkohol 

Let us know how it went, Gran!

gran2x2

..It worked I think..it is way way faster to load web pages now and connects so much faster. IE still is a mess but who cares..He can use FF ..it works fine ... He had like 3187 threats and 9 were critical... Guess I will start a clean up system for him after this mess... Now I just have to find that annoying Norton pop up and get rid of it...But I been fighting this for 2 days so why he is back online and happy...I'm gonna go nap.

Thanks !!!!!

Mayhem

Quote from: gran2x2 on May 31, 2015, 12:20:19 PM
..It worked I think..it is way way faster to load web pages now and connects so much faster. IE still is a mess but who cares..He can use FF ..it works fine ... He had like 3187 threats and 9 were critical... Guess I will start a clean up system for him after this mess... Now I just have to find that annoying Norton pop up and get rid of it...But I been fighting this for 2 days so why he is back online and happy...I'm gonna go nap.

Thanks !!!!!

You're welcome!  tumbsup.gif

Since Malewarebytes found that many issues, I would recommend an OS reinstall whenever possible.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

gran2x2

How do you do that...I have never done it before... white flag.gif

snap20

A reinstall can be a bit...involved. Here's a good overview - http://www.howtogeek.com/133254/beginner-geek-how-to-reinstall-windows-on-your-computer/

(not sure what version you have, that's for Windows 7 and 8, 8 is easier)

Just note, reinstalling will erase everything on the computer, so you'd need to back everything up first...that you wanted to keep. Or reinstall any software that you've added to it after the fact. It's a pain in the arse. lol.

If you just want to uninstall Norton completely (which gets rid of the annoying pop ups if you don't plan to purchase it again) they make a tool to remove it here - https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

The pop up you saw to have you call a number is most likely a version of a malware/virus program. Hopefully Malwarebytes took care of it. Not sure if the Norton pop up and the "call this number" pop up were the same or different things?

gran2x2

I will suggest it to his mom...He has a lot of music on his pc and his Mom may have DoD related work files from when she used his while hers was down...If I erase it all I may be banished to bum****t egypt or somewhere...but again.....

THANKS E1 FOR THE HELP AND ADVICE !!!! YOU ALL ROCK !!!!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview