This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Why I am not going to upgrade my computers to Windows 10

Started by disneyland lady,

Previous topic - Next topic

disneyland lady

By signing EULA, you have allowed Windows 10 to disable counterfeit games and hardware that are not authorized. There are dozens of these articles on the tech boards:

http://www.techworm.net/2015/08/windows-10-can-disable-pirated-games-and-unauthorised-hardware.html

Stinkerbell

I've not upgraded, DLL. I'm worried they'll block my old copy of WORD... the one you buy once and don't have to pay for every year.

snap20

And most of those articles are just trying to scare people and are inaccurate. The rule is specifically meant for application/games installed by Windows App Store and some Xbox apps, i.e. the ones under Microsoft control. Not third party stuff.

But if you are still paranoid - https://bgr.com/2015/08/14/windows-10-spying-prevention-privacy-tools/

S1lent

Greetings,
Up graded three computers to Windows 10. One works very good, number 2 works ok...but gives errors installing updates. Number 3 (which was my main computer) had an update that would always fail (DVD), and it failed...lost connection to internet, mouse and keyboard. It would cost $500 for new mother board and processor.  I said forget it.  Got me a Dell XPS from costco for $850 and will try to set it up tomorrow.  Says it is windows 10.

I'll not update my laptop to windows 10.  This is a MacBook Pro with bootcamp.  It works fine...leave well enough alone.

Good luck to all
I be off to some other topics.

S1lent

S1lent

Greetings,
Got the new computer up and running.  Windows 10 took several tries to get all the updates.  But seems to be working good...knock on wood.

All for now
S1lent

Squid

MsMissy

Glad to hear you got your windows 10 all set up & working, Silent & got a new computer. My sister bought a new computer & upgraded also to 10, but was having problems with it so she took it out & went back to what it came with 8.1. as for me im staying with windows 7 for nowuntil I can afford another computer.

Stinkerbell

My dad updated his 8.1 to 10, and it runs everything well except he's having problems with Pogo. When games come up to load they don't fill the window completely, they only load in the upper left corner leaving the rest of the area a white box. My daughter went up and tried to help, even called EA Support. They'd barely discuss it with her, saying only that they no longer recommend Firefox or Chrome and that they'd only help troubleshoot Windows IE 11.

S1lent

Greetings,
Sorry to hear your dad is having with the games loading.  I sometimes magnify my screen (bad eyes) so make sure he is set at 100%.  You might also try his screen resolution.

Best of luck fixing it

S1lent

snowflower

low blow.gif
Still having so much trouble with my desktop. I thought maybe upgrading to win/10 would fix the problems but just made matters worse probably. Pogo will load in Edge but Buddy's can't find the game. Black box to the right of the Buddy's and a flash of black behind the game just before the game loads. F/fox, Chrome, IE 11 all have pretty much the same difficulties as well - with the exception that Chrome won't load Pogo games or Buddy's at all. Can't play Pogo with Buddy's on Desktop. BUT there IS good news. I didn't upgrade to win/10 on my laptop ... still has win/7 and all games and Buddy's work like a charm. Thinking I'll be leaving win/7 on my laptop until it decides to go south with the rest, lol.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: s1lentscream on September 13, 2015, 10:49:08 AM
Greetings,
Sorry to hear your dad is having with the games loading.  I sometimes magnify my screen (bad eyes) so make sure he is set at 100%.  You might also try his screen resolution.

Best of luck fixing it

S1lent

Thanks! We've already gone in to the resolution as well as fiddling with it in the browser itself. It should work, but it's not.

disneyland lady

Quote from: snowflower on September 13, 2015, 12:30:16 PM
low blow.gif
Still having so much trouble with my desktop. I thought maybe upgrading to win/10 would fix the problems but just made matters worse probably. Pogo will load in Edge but Buddy's can't find the game. Black box to the right of the Buddy's and a flash of black behind the game just before the game loads. F/fox, Chrome, IE 11 all have pretty much the same difficulties as well - with the exception that Chrome won't load Pogo games or Buddy's at all. Can't play Pogo with Buddy's on Desktop. BUT there IS good news. I didn't upgrade to win/10 on my laptop ... still has win/7 and all games and Buddy's work like a charm. Thinking I'll be leaving win/7 on my laptop until it decides to go south with the rest, lol.

After a bit of adjustments to get rid of ads, I find that Torch works best with the autos. It is very much like Chrome but so far the java is working.

Squid

I had some trouble with Torch, as though it were being recognized as Chrome.  Both are chromium browsers, right?

S1lent

Greetings,
Seems to be new computer with Windows 10 pre-installed is working much better than old computer upgraded.  After looking at the dates of old computers...they were 5, 6 and 10 years old.  Might have to think about upgrading computers before they "crash" and "burn".

It is the cheap in me,

S1lent

snowflower

Wow ... all kinds of problems. Win/7 worked just sooooo good before all this new update crap started.... 
If they'd just leave well enough alone (like that's ever gonna happen) lol

Yoming 2

Quote from: disneyland lady on September 14, 2015, 04:31:55 AM
After a bit of adjustments to get rid of ads, I find that Torch works best with the autos. It is very much like Chrome but so far the java is working.

I use Opera and Torch to play Pogo.... They both work just fine with the autos and I use Adblock plus to get rid of the ads.   tumbsup.gif

Firefox is the pits anymore.    swear2.gif

TheAngel

Quote from: Stinkerbell on September 13, 2015, 08:18:06 AM
My dad updated his 8.1 to 10, and it runs everything well except he's having problems with Pogo. When games come up to load they don't fill the window completely, they only load in the upper left corner leaving the rest of the area a white box. My daughter went up and tried to help, even called EA Support. They'd barely discuss it with her, saying only that they no longer recommend Firefox or Chrome and that they'd only help troubleshoot Windows IE 11.

sorry to hear that. my hubby just updated to win 10 on his machine and was having the same issues but even worse: the pogo website www.pogo.com would not load in any browser! so he switched back to Win 8.  but the thing w/ them only talking to you about IE 11... that's so silly and so like EA support.... they better get the browser stuff figured out tho b/c IE 11 will be around for only so long b4 it gets replaced w/ Edge and then what are they going to do?! doesn't bode well for Pogo.   no-no.gif 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview