PlayBuddy
April 19, 2024, 01:18:37 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Garden Blast : Use 120 rockets or rocket power-up combos this week! [Download Cheat]
World Class Solitaire HD : Place 200 cards into the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Yahoo Mail to be Phased Out??

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

I was listening to a tech show yesterday and the tech guy said that since Yahoo was bought by Verizon they've stopped putting much emphasis on the email aspect and will stop updating and supporting the free email service over time.

Honestly, I use yahoo mail but I don't love it. It's cluttered, unstable...the ads are getting bigger and more screen intrusive.

snowflower

Quote from: Stinkerbell on September 11, 2016, 09:28:17 AM
I was listening to a tech show yesterday and the tech guy said that since Yahoo was bought by Verizon they've stopped putting much emphasis on the email aspect and will stop updating and supporting the free email service over time.

Honestly, I use yahoo mail but I don't love it. It's cluttered, unstable...the ads are getting bigger and more screen intrusive.

Well I'm not too happy with that news, Hotmail, Live mail/Outlook = unstable also and my two other accounts are with Yahoo.
panic button.gif   So now looking for advice please: any more free dependable ones out there I should try?

Mayhem

Quote from: snowflower on September 11, 2016, 09:46:34 AM
So now looking for advice please: any more free dependable ones out there I should try?

I've never had any issues with Gmail.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

snowflower

Quote from: Mayhem on September 11, 2016, 09:48:08 AM
I've never had any issues with Gmail.

Thanks Mayhem, how are the options in Gmail such as Blocked Senders, Security, Folders, Sub folders, etc, etc please?

Mayhem

Quote from: snowflower on September 11, 2016, 09:50:29 AM
Thanks Mayhem, how are the options in Gmail such as Blocked Senders, Security, Folders, Sub folders, etc, etc please?

It has everything - you can block senders, create mail filters, create labels & sub-labels (folders). Deleting a label/sub label will not delete the messages inside it though. As far as security, you can enable a 2-step verification that will require a 6 digit code to be entered if someone tries to log in via a device/browser that is not yours.

I have mine set up so it "remembers me", but If I delete my cookies, I will be texted a security code which I'll need to enter in order to log in again.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

snowflower

Quote from: Mayhem on September 11, 2016, 10:03:37 AM
It has everything - you can block senders, create mail filters, create labels & sub-labels (folders). Deleting a label/sub label will not delete the messages inside it though. As far as security, you can enable a 2-step verification that will require a 6 digit code to be entered if someone tries to log in via a device/browser that is not yours.

I have mine set up so it "remembers me", but If I delete my cookies, I will be texted a security code which I'll need to enter in order to log in again.

Oh thanks so much Mayhem, I think I'll go give Gmail a whirl!  dancing16.gif

Squid

I have made MANY emails over the years for various programs, promotions, etc.  I'm losing many of them lately:  Inbox, Yahoo, others.

I hate what MS did with the Windows Live mail, even with their own outlook and Hotmail accounts.  Now, instead of being POP email, they are IMAP email, which is slow and torturous, even when deleting the messages.

Stinkerbell

I'm with Mayhem - Gmail is my go-to account. I love it.  Also, the guy suggested to the caller to download gmail and set it up to receive your yahoo mail, too. You can import it and reply to mail yahoo mail within gmail. I've never tried it, so I don't know how well it works or what it looks like.

disneyland lady

AOL is still free! i have had mine since 1989 - when I got tired of Compuserve dialup.  Thought they might start charging again when Verison bought it last year. In 1999 when so many eBay accts were getting jacked, I went to over 20 free email sites and got my eBay name on them so no one could use my ID to try to get bidders to pay them. Never closed any of those because I use my 6 AOL accts for most everything. Loved Hotmail and hated Outlook or Win Live. Still know someone with Netscape. And I go to my gmail once a month to clear my spam!

Yoming 2

Got this notice from Yahoo today----------- angry21.gif

[On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 6:51 PM EDT, we noticed an attempt to sign in to your Yahoo account xxxxxxxxxx from an unrecognized device in United States.
If this was you, please sign in from a device you regularly use.]

This is so funny it makes me cry....... I was using the computer I always use and I have to wait for 12 hours before I can actually get in to check my mail...........Had to change my password.    swear2.gif     angry21.gif

Since when is a computer not a recognized device in the US????   

If I was close enough they would be " phased out " and find a fist imprint on their forehead.    swear2.gif

C~M

Quote from: Yoming 2 on September 11, 2016, 06:19:52 PM
Since when is a computer not a recognized device in the US????   

That means that the computer wasn't recognized as ever logging into that account. When I change my IP with my VPN it happens because I have email programs that check all my different accounts and even though I am really in the USA on same computer, it is being routed through another country and or IP address.

Yoming 2

Quote from: Crazy~Man on September 11, 2016, 06:23:50 PM
That means that the computer wasn't recognized as ever logging into that account. When I change my IP with my VPN it happens because I have email programs that check all my different accounts and even though I am really in the USA on same computer, it is being routed through another country and or IP address.

Thanx for that info...but I guess I'm dumb cause I use the same computer about 6 times a day just to check my yahoo mail............why all of a sudden would it not be recognized???   I only have 2 accounts...one with yahoo and one with comcast.  ????????   

C~M

Quote from: Yoming 2 on September 11, 2016, 06:38:05 PM
Thanx for that info...but I guess I'm dumb cause I use the same computer about 6 times a day just to check my yahoo mail............why all of a sudden would it not be recognized???   I only have 2 accounts...one with yahoo and one with comcast.  ????????   

Did you go to Yahoo and sign in or did you use the link in the email? It could be a scam email trying to steal your login info.

snowflower

quote author=Crazy~Man link=topic=47279.msg642233#msg642233 date=1473646075]
Did you go to Yahoo and sign in or did you use the link in the email? It could be a scam email trying to steal your login info.
[/quote]  panic button.gif

Yoming 2

Quote from: Crazy~Man on September 11, 2016, 07:07:55 PM

I logged out and then directly into Yahoo.( or attempted to )  I really don't trust links that come up after something like that.  Went that route with Paypal once....

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview