This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Eeek! Computer problem

Started by Squid,

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

I got home from work today and fired up my home office computer (desktop).  It went through its usual sounds, etc., and the PW page came up.  My keyboard and mouse are not working - nothing, no lights, can't type, no cursor movement.  I forced a shut down, waited several minutes and fired her back up.  Now the computer is making me make that choice:  start up in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompts or start windows normally.  First I tried normally and the same thing happened, so I shut down again.  When making the choice the next time around, I noticed the keyboard and mouse are lit and functional.  I chose each of the 3 remaining choices, each in its turn, and the moment I make ANY choice, the keyboard and mouse lights go out and they stop functioning.  I think I may have a driver problem but am not sure.  Without being able to get into the system, how do I fix this?  Any ideas on what's causing the issue?  I was not having ANY problems until this started that might be a clue.

Win 7 ( I refuse to convert this computer to Win 10)
16 Tb hard drive
1 (?) Tb RAM
blah, blah blah....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.   girl5.gif

Mayhem

Do you have another computer / laptop with Windows 7 on it? If so, you could create a repair disk - and boot off that on the computer that's giving you issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17423/windows-7-create-system-repair-disc
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

No, the only other Win7 computer is one I converted to Win10.

Mayhem

Is this a laptop or desktop computer?

If it's desktop, try unplugging / re-plugging in your mouse & keyboard when they are not working and see if that does anything.

Squid

Desktop

I tried unplugging while computer up - nothing
I tried unplugging while computer shut down, started up, replugged - nothing
I tried swapping to another keyboard - nothing

I'll try my wireless mouse but I'm losing hope!

snowflower

undecided.gif Oh dear Squiddy, wish I could help but not so technically inclined. But you're in the right place with GREAT peeps and I'm sure you'll be up and running very soon! Keep us all posted, maybe one of us will find ourselves facing this issue too. GL Squiddy!!

Mayhem

Quote from: ~Squid~ on January 10, 2017, 11:28:23 AM
Desktop

I tried unplugging while computer up - nothing
I tried unplugging while computer shut down, started up, replugged - nothing
I tried swapping to another keyboard - nothing

I'll try my wireless mouse but I'm losing hope!

Other than the Windows 7 repair disk, I'm not sure what else to suggest. Just so I have this right ... the computer boots and your stuck on the windows password sign in screen with no keyboard or mouse?

Squid

Quote from: Mayhem on January 10, 2017, 01:05:24 PM
Other than the Windows 7 repair disk, I'm not sure what else to suggest. Just so I have this right ... the computer boots and your stuck on the windows password sign in screen with no keyboard or mouse?
That is correct.  This is an important work computer and this has me mildly freaked out.  I back up the important stuff (twice) but I feel so vulnerable without this computer!

Mayhem

It's strange that the shutting down / uplugging both / booting up and plugging them back in on the password prompt didn't solve the issue for you. I'm seeing on Google that solution is working for everyone.

Mayhem

Repeat my steps above - but after you shutdown, physically unplug the power cord from the back of your tower for 1 minute (turning the switch off on the power supply is not good enough) - then plug it back in and finish the steps.

Someone else mentioned they needed to do that before it worked for them.

Squid

Thanks so much, Mayhem.  It occurred to me that late last night I had a Windows update and when I shut the system down, it was installing the updates.  I didn't turn that computer on until I returned from work today.  I thought it must have been the update that did this.

I brought my wireless mouse to the desktop and it worked.  I was able to put in the PW by clicking on the PW page to use the monitor keyboard and not the physical keyboard.  I was in!

I did a system restore to yesterday morning and my keyboard and regular mouse appear to be fine.  I don't know what was in that update but it screwed me over.  I only update critical or important updates.  Frequently, I admit, I don't understand what the update is.  Many are security updates and I don't want to deny those.

My system sure is slower right now, though. 

Thanks, Mayhem, I appreciate the assistance.  xoxo

Squid

snowflower

dancing16.gif YAY so glad you got it figured out!! Kind of an uneasy feeling, huh.

PissedOffPumpkin

This is probably a stupid question, but are your important files fully backed up? If not, do it now.

I'm on my hubby on a regular basis to back up his files. He is VERY techy (in fact, that's his day job - HP even - he knows what he's doing) but he still has this "can't happen to me" attitude, no matter how many times it happens to him. This is the downside to being an eternal optimist.

Sounds like you're pretty much back in business now (if a bit slow) but if this recurs, I'll ask the hubster if he has thoughts on it. He's out of the country on business right now, but we talk several times a day.

Mayhem

Squid

Quote from: PissedOffPumpkin on January 11, 2017, 12:03:55 AM
This is probably a stupid question, but are your important files fully backed up? If not, do it now.

Sounds like you're pretty much back in business now (if a bit slow) but if this recurs, I'll ask the hubster if he has thoughts on it. He's out of the country on business right now, but we talk several times a day.

I use the desktop in question for business and much of the information is sensitive/confidential, hence the PW into the system as well as other safety controls.  I have all the "important" stuff backed up TWICE with the same controls on them.  If the puter died, I would have what I need but not what I want!  lol.  I love that desktop - it is 5 years old but I bought a powerful one so that I would have it for many years.  There is so much on that device that I would lose.  Maybe a FULL backup is in order.... right down to my backgammon game.   

If hubby has any suggestions for FULL backup, I'd be interested in hearing them.  TYVM PoP!

PissedOffPumpkin

Ooh, I may be able to help with this one m'own bad se'f. We used to back up non-sensitive stuff to a cloud, but we do both have things that we're a bit askeered of losing to hackers, and wanted to have everything in one place, rather than scattered. So first off, we have a NAS (network-attached storage) that we use to store anything that we both want easy access to. Like our music collection, for instance. But for the big backup, we bought an external drive. It's been a while since we got it, so I can't necessarily give you a firsthand review of something you might easily find right now. But I did do a google shop search just to give you a starting point. I can't say they're cheap or expensive, because that's, of course, relative to each individual's situation. But I can tell you it's a very reliable way to back up your entire system, and if you have sensitive material, it's probably worth the cost regardless.

I will also check with the big guy when we talk this evening. He'll be in a hurry this morning, but after he has dinner we'll be stomping some Pinochle robots together, and chatting our li'l hearts out. Our "quality time" when he's out of the country. *sigh*

https://www.google.com/search?q=external+hard+drive&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b#q=external+hard+drive&tbm=shop

Squid

Thank you!  I do not currently have an EHD and really should.  The prices are reasonable, imo.  I want to keep EVERYTHING.  Pictures, clip art, music, games, paperwork, receipts, blah... blah.... blah......

I'm looking at the 2TB....

If hubby has anything to add, I'm happy to listen!  TYVM! 

PissedOffPumpkin

It'll be another 5 hours or so before we can sit down and chat, but I'll let you know if he can contribute. And you're welcome!  tumbsup.gif

Squid

No rush, no pressure.  I appreciate your input, PoP.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview