This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Crossword Cove Changes Coming Soon

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayhem

Pogo is making some changes to Crossword Cove.

There are many layouts and styles of crossword puzzles. Right now, Crossword Cove is the US layout. Soon, it'll be switching to the UK layout. Pogo wants to know if you like it better, so they'll be running player polls once the new UK layout is rolled out on August 1st.

- July 31, 2017 is the last day to play back puzzles of the US layout of Crossword Cove.
- August 1, 2017 is the first day to play the UK layout of Crossword Cove.
- All the answers will remain rooted in American trivia, with American English spelling.

You will keep all previous badges and ranks you have earned from Crossword Cove.

US Puzzle Layout:

UK Puzzle Layout:
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

Correct me if I'm wrong but the difference is that UK uses only one-word clues vs. US using single words, phrases, multiple words, etc. in the clues?

Mayhem

Yes, unless they make any other changes before August 1st rollout.

Does the UK format have less letters? If so, it will take more puzzles to rank than with the US format.

Squid

Quote from: Mayhem on June 28, 2017, 12:56:16 AM

Does the UK format have less letters? If so, it will take more puzzles to rank than with the US format.

I only saw one example of both types side by side and they looked to be of similar size and letter content.

Mayhem

Pogo has posted more information about the upcoming changes to Crossword Cove.

What's interesting is that they mention "We'll be running the UK layout of Crossword Cove for 6 months".

QuoteAs time draws nearer to the style switch for Crossword Cove, we're hoping that players will keep an open mind and give the new style a try. The new style will really put your trivia skills to the test and who knows- you may even find yourself enjoying it and giving your brain a good workout...better than ever, perhaps!

That being said, please read below for more information on what is to come on August 1st, 2017 for Crossword Cove.

Did you know there are actually different layouts of crossword puzzles? YUP! These usually have different grid styles and vary in difficulty.

We at Pogo want to try out something new and fun in the name of crossword puzzles and Crossword Cove specifically. Currently, Crossword Cove uses US-style layouts. Starting August 1, we're switching the puzzle layouts to the UK style. Don't worry — all answers will remain related to American trivia with American spelling.

The UK layout of Crossword Cove is a bit harder as the words do not cross over each other. We know you can totally handle this challenge, though. We will also be running player polls once this changeover takes place on August 1 so that we can hear back from you directly once you've had a chance to play. We'll be running the UK layout of Crossword Cove for 6 months. Again, the trivia and spelling will remain American.

This also means that after July 31, you will not be able to go back and play older puzzles from the US layout of Crossword Cove. As of August 1, they will be reset to the UK layout.  Never fear, though: this will NOT impact any Badges or ranks you've earned. Those are yours to keep and you will be able to replay them using the new UK style format.

To summarize:

- There are many layouts and styles of crossword puzzles. Right now, Crossword Cove is utilizing the US layout. Soon, it'll be switching to the UK layout. We want to know if you like it better so we'll be running player polls once the new UK layout is rolled out on August 1.
- July 31, 2017 is the last day to play back puzzles of the US layout of Crossword Cove.
- August 1, 2017 is the first day to play the UK layout of Crossword Cove.
- You will keep all previous Badges and ranks you have earned from Crossword Cove.

Squid

I think I'll catch up on my remaining dates before the first.  Tx, Mayhem.

snowflower

Guess Id better get back to work on these..  magnifier.gif  Thanks Mayhem!

Mayhem

Squid

Caught up to date.  Will try to remember to do these last few days on Monday. 

Mayhem

Just a reminder that this is the final day before Pogo switches to the UK layout.

QuoteToday, 7/31 at 4:00pm PDT will begin the switch over of styles for Crossword Cove.

The game will be down for maintenance from 7/31/2017 4:00 PM PDT to 8/1/2017 at 12:00 AM PDT.

Squid

Thanks for the reminder.  I'm going to clean up the last several days and start tomorrow fresh!  Tx again

snowflower

dancing16.gif Oh right Mayhem ... getting right on it now, thanks!!

Mayhem

Mayhem

I haven't messed with crossword cove in ages ... is it any better now or do you prefer the US layout?

Squid

I don't play every day.  Sometimes months go by between playing.  I'll let you know if no one else chimes in.

Mayhem

It appears Pogo upset a lot of people with the new changes to Crossword Cove ...

QuoteLet's Talk About Crossword Cove

Hi Folks – It's Pogo_Llama here – think we've got something to talk about.

It is clear from reading Forums and hearing from crossword Players that the new format and style of Crossword Cove has upset the Community ... which in turn, upsets us. I therefore wanted to give y'all some background so you have context for the change. Here goes!

The reason we changed the format was because the content provider who had been supplying puzzles for Crossword Cove over the years was no longer able to do so. That left us with two choices: 1) Sunset Crossword Cove (nope); or 2) find a solution (yep) that would keep the game up and running while we identify a long-term solution.

We couldn't find the same format quickly enough to keep the game from being turned off, so we went with a different format in the spirit of "something is better than nothing." Hence, we are all (Pogo Staff included) learning a new format, together.

Maybe it helps you to know the "why", or maybe it doesn't. But know this for sure ... we hear you – boy, we sure do! We are working as fast as we can to get to a long-term solution for Crossword Cove – and you!

Thanks for all your feedback, Pogonians. We are on this!

Squid

I haven't tried the new format yet, meaning I haven't tried to complete a puzzle.  I did go in to peek and the clues didn't look any different.  The dates previous to the date of format change cannot be accessed.  I will wait until a challenge and will try then, I s'pose.