This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Computer Comparisons

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

I need a new lap top. The one I have is an i3 processor and I find that with what I do it's slowing down and heating up. I do call center rep type things from home and associated research. I have many tabs open at the same time and am constantly switching back and forth.  The first one on the list here is $599 and the others are $849 and $899.  I want something that will get the job done without crashing but I don't want to go with more than I need.

I know there are some pretty computer savvy folks here and I'd love your input.

Mayhem

You do want a laptop with a graphics card (rather than depend on the onboard GPU chip on the CPU).

AMD graphic cards tends to run on the hotter side, so I've always used NVIDIA.

If those are your only 3 choices ... you could get away with option #2, but if you have money to spare - I would go with option #3.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

LittleFawn

If it were me I would go to option 3 but if you do not have the extra money go with number 2. I personally use a Nividia and have no issues with this graphic card.

Stinkerbell

Thank you! There was one other one. Let me see if I can find it....

Stinkerbell

Okay, what I thought was the other one was actually the one in the middle.

So #3 is the one?  I just can't afford more than that, to be honest, but I need something that's going to work hard.

Squid

You need dependable graphics .... and I don't just mean Pogo stuff.   

Mayhem

Quote from: Stinkerbell on October 18, 2017, 02:20:49 PM
So #3 is the one?  I just can't afford more than that, to be honest, but I need something that's going to work hard.

#3 is the clear winner in my books.

Squid

It's only 50 dollars more than #2.  Sounds like it's worth it.

LittleFawn

I think it is worth it. If you need something that is going to work hard go with number 3.

Stinkerbell

Awesome, thank you! I'm off to Costco and Best Buy!  I know what it costs at Costco. I want to see if BB price matches.

Stinkerbell

I appreciate all the info! Does anyone have any brand recommendations?

Mayhem

I use a desktop computer, so I'm not entirely sure which brands are the best.

Squid

Stinkerbell

My desktop is newer than my laptop but has less oomph. I could use it in a pinch, but I really need a laptop.

I like that the Dell extended warranty is on-site, whereas the Costco warranty is not.  But I think I'm going to go with the HP from Costco and hope for the best. Also, I THINK I'm going to wait until Black Friday and see what's offered. If I can get an even better computer for the same price, that's what I'll do.

Does anyone have an opinion on a gaming laptop?  I would think that would have better graphics, a better cooling system, a better processor....

LittleFawn

I bought a gaming laptop recently but have not used it that much. It is almost like my desktop but I play games a lot so it meets my needs. The times that I have used it it was fine on what I did on it.

snap20

Personally, I avoid HP at all costs. I refuse to ever buy/own another one in any format. Too many bad experiences in the past. For a laptop I'd probably go Asus as my first choice taking into consideration cost. Lenovo would be my 2nd choice with probably Dell being third.

I'm out of the loop on gaming laptops, but be prepared to pay...big. They may be better with graphics/cooling/processing but you'll pay dearly for it. Maybe start researching with something like this: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2020688,00.asp

Stinkerbell

Thanks, Snap!  I have added the same hardware found in a gaming pc to a regular laptop and the gaming price is much higher, still.  I will probably NOT look for a "gaming" computer, but will find one as close as possible.

We used to ONLY buy Dell, but their CS sucks now.
I've had HP and not been thrilled, but that was years ago!
The one I have now and LOVE is a Toshiba, but BB doesn't sell them anymore.
I don't know enough about Asus to have a lot of confidence in them. But with your recommendation I'll take a closer look!

Thanks!

Stinkerbell

I'm glad I held off getting the computer. I just got Costco's holiday sale booklet and they have a different one, a tad better, for $100 less!  I have to wait til the 17th to buy it, though.

Squid

S1lent

Greetings all you Computer shoppers,
Option # 2 is available at Costco for $899.99 on sale for $699.99 till 29 Nov 17 (Notice the military type date)
Option # 3 is available at Costo for $749.99 not on sale.

Neither one of these have SSD.  If you can afford one...lighting fast. 

Best of luck
S1lent

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview