This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Windows Defender

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

I was asking in another group about what everyone uses for Antivirus/Internet protection and I was told if I'm running Windows 10, Defender is enough, and that if I do run something else with it it might create holes in the protection. Anyone ever heard this before?  I want to be careful because I have access to sensitive account information and don't want to inadvertently let someone in a 'hole'.

Mayhem

I personally don't use anything other then Windows Defender, as my router has an great firewall built in.

I'm not a big fan of Norton or anything of those sorts, as they recommend you disable Defender and ask to put your trust in them.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Mayhem on November 30, 2017, 12:35:23 AM
I personally don't use anything other then Windows Defender, as my router has an great firewall built in.

I'm not a big fan of Norton or anything of those sorts, as they recommend you disable Defender and ask to put your trust in them.

Thank you for that info. I'd love to save the $75 per year and use just Defender.

Mayhem

Quote from: Stinkerbell on November 30, 2017, 07:47:45 AM
Thank you for that info. I'd love to save the $75 per year and use just Defender.

Do you have a router as well?

Stinkerbell

Squid

I have a modem and a router.  Do routers have built in firewalls?  I have a LinkSys

Mayhem

Quote from: Stinkerbell on December 03, 2017, 02:08:31 PM
I have a modem, is that the same thing?

A lot of modems have built-in routers. So it's tough to say for sure without a model number.

Quote from: ~Squid~ on December 03, 2017, 03:09:50 PM
I have a modem and a router.  Do routers have built in firewalls?  I have a LinkSys

Most routers do these days - and Linksys is a popular brand so it should have one.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Mayhem on December 03, 2017, 05:42:25 PM
A lot of modems have built-in routers. So it's tough to say for sure without a model number.

nvg468mq

Stinkerbell

Mayhem

Yes, your router does have a firewall.

"Security : Stateful packet inspection firewall"

You can check to see if it's enabled or not (which it should be by default) by going to : http://192.168.1.1

Your username and password is printed on the back of the router. If it's not, try : admin / password -or- password1

Squid

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Mayhem on December 04, 2017, 09:18:24 AM
Yes, your router does have a firewall.

"Security : Stateful packet inspection firewall"

You can check to see if it's enabled or not (which it should be by default) by going to : http://192.168.1.1

Your username and password is printed on the back of the router. If it's not, try : admin / password -or- password1

It wouldn't load the page to give me the chance to enter a UN and PW.  I'll keep trying, thanks!!!

Mayhem

That's weird, that's normally the standard URL to access the router settings.

Yours could have a different IP address though, which would be listed on the back of the router as well.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview