This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

LibreOffice

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

So, my licenses for MS Word are all used up, and I'm not paying $149.99 for a one computer copy. I downloaded LibreOffice and so far, so fabulous! It opens all my Word, Excel, and Adobe files, and has the same features as Word. Oh, and it's FREE!

Squid

I've been using Open Office for free.  I have MS Word, Excel, etc., on my office computer but the others have Open Office.  I'm going to look into Libre.  Thanks.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: ~Squid~ on December 09, 2017, 04:50:13 PM
I've been using Open Office for free.  I have MS Word, Excel, etc., on my office computer but the others have Open Office.  I'm going to look into Libre.  Thanks.

You're welcome! I did some looking around and it was one of the highest rated for what you get for free.

Mayhem

I've never heard of LibreOffice, but I know Open Office is extremely popular.

I'll have to check it out and see how they compare.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Mayhem on December 10, 2017, 12:41:33 AM
I've never heard of LibreOffice, but I know Open Office is extremely popular.

I'll have to check it out and see how they compare.

So far, so good... again. I'm really enjoying it. I need to find things that I used all the time in MSO, like the Select All link and the Find link for finding words in the document. I'll keep looking.

ETA: I found FIND. It's a magnifying glass on the upper toolbar, but I don't see Select All yet. According to posters if you Ctrl+A it only selects all in a single text box.

snap20

Been using LibreOffice for years. When OpenOffice changed 'owners' I dropped it. LibreOffice is updated more frequently now too. Both are pretty similar though.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: snap20 on December 13, 2017, 05:22:06 PM
Been using LibreOffice for years. When OpenOffice changed 'owners' I dropped it. LibreOffice is updated more frequently now too. Both are pretty similar though.

Do you know, is there a way to select all and have it grab ALL text boxes?

Stinkerbell

Quote from: snap20 on December 13, 2017, 05:22:06 PM

By the way, I was reading reviews of both Open Office and LibreOffice and Libre is an offshoot of OpenOffice, did you know that? Also, MANY people stated they left Open Office when they changed "owners".  I think it was the original team who left OO and started LO, if I remember right.

snap20

Quote from: Stinkerbell on December 13, 2017, 06:35:00 PM
Do you know, is there a way to select all and have it grab ALL text boxes?
No, I don't know. I don't use it all that often and have never had to do what you are trying to do (sorry for the late reply).

You are right that LO was an offshoot. I changed when OO was bought by the new company. When it happened, there was talk of charging for certain "upgrades". Looks like that was false talk though...but I still wouldn't go back to OO now.

gigi

sorry Mayhem, I did it again.............. could you please delete this?

gigi

Just installed it and so far so good.  I had a trial Microsoft Word of some sort and when it expired everything I had saved I was unable to open in ANYTHING.  I couldn't even get far enough into the document to do a copy and past or a save as or an open with........................ so I lost a few documents.................. maybe I should have come here for help LOL

Stinkerbell

Quote from: gigi on December 29, 2017, 10:30:48 AM
Just installed it and so far so good.  I had a trial Microsoft Word of some sort and when it expired everything I had saved I was unable to open in ANYTHING.  I couldn't even get far enough into the document to do a copy and past or a save as or an open with........................ so I lost a few documents.................. maybe I should have come here for help LOL

LibreOffice has opened all my MS documents, and allowed me to save them in their format.

gigi

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview