Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Windows 10 Cortana Off

Started by S1lent,

Previous topic - Next topic

S1lent

Greetings all you PogoCheats,

After my problems with Malwarebytes program, I looked at the other Memory Hogs in Task Manager.  Well Windows Cortana is the next "Hog ...so I googled how to remove Cortana.  After a few attempts, YouTuber has the answer.

I do not use Cortana...and after Killing her...my system runs much better.

Let me Know what you say.

S1lent

Mayhem

Disabling Cortana was one of the first things I did when I installed Win 10.

My system can handle it, but I'm not interested in speaking in to a mic and dictate what to do.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

Squid

I have the Home version which is tougher to handle.  It means going into the registry, probably creating a key, etc.  It's tricky.  While I want Cortana gone, I do not have good luck with computers and might just leave well enough alone.

Mayhem

I guess I missed a step and never completely disabled mine ... because I never did anything with the registry.

Squid

You must have the Pro version.  I have the Home version

Squid

gigi

at least I learned what it is.  I have so many apps on my phone, IPad and computer that I have no idea what they are................. other that preinstalled.  I'm afraid to get rid of anything I didn't put there because I don't know what other programs (whatever's) will be affected.  And.  My task manager says Cortana is out there, but it's not in my uninstall program, so, like you Squid, I think I'll just leave well enough along
Thanks everyone.............. good read

Mayhem

Quote from: Squid on January 29, 2018, 08:30:38 AM
You must have the Pro version.  I have the Home version

I have the Home version as well. I never did get the Pro version as it has features I'll never use.

S1lent

Here is a YouTube video that really worked for me.  The author makes it easy to follow.
My computer was running two versions of CORTANA so it was sucking up twice as much memory...and at my age (71 ouch)  Only have so much left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60-A_DpL6R8

Or you can search youtube for "How to disable Cortana"  it is about 8 minute video

S1lent

Squid

Hmmm, that utube video seems pretty straight forward.  Should I muster the courage?

How do I set up a restore point?  I'll check around...

S1lent

Greetings Squid and all you other PogoCheats,
It is not necessary to create a Restore Point...but go ahead...it is a good idea.
Open Control Panel, click on System, click on System Protection and then click on Create.
Here is a pic.

Here is an easy way to reverse the process.  Rename the "Cortana" file (the one that you renamed earlier) back to the original file name.
Here is a picture of the Original Cortana file and its location.

Then you need to go and just Delete the "Key" you created in your Computer's Register.

Wow...I'm writing this without any wine...got one hour to wait.
Good luck
S1lent

S1lent

Hi,
You will note that in Task Manager there are several versions running at the same time...this is normal. 

Google Chrome takes advantage of these properties and puts web apps and plug-ins in separate processes from the browser itself. This means that a rendering engine crash in one web app won't affect the browser or other web apps. It means the OS can run web apps in parallel to increase their responsiveness, and it means the browser itself won't lock up if a particular web app or plug-in stops responding. It also means we can run the rendering engine processes in a restrictive sandbox that helps limit the damage if an exploit does occur.

Basically, each tab has one process unless the tabs are from the same domain. The renderer has a process for itself. Each plug-in will have one and so will each extension that is active.

This is what the different browsers look on my computer.
S1lent

Squid

Quote from: s1lentscream on January 29, 2018, 02:58:55 PM
Greetings Squid and all you other PogoCheats,
It is not necessary to create a Restore Point...but go ahead...it is a good idea.
Open Control Panel, click on System, click on System Protection and then click on Create.
Here is a pic.

Here is an easy way to reverse the process.  Rename the "Cortana" file (the one that you renamed earlier) back to the original file name.
Here is a picture of the Original Cortana file and its location.

Then you need to go and just Delete the "Key" you created in your Computer's Register.

Wow...I'm writing this without any wine...got one hour to wait.
Good luck
S1lent
Helpful!  Thank you, S1lent

S1lent

Greetings,
Here are two additional scans for Windows 10.  My scan found a couple of things and corrected them.

Here to help...really
S1lent

1 Run the following commands in Windows PowerShell (Admin) Just right click on Windows Start Icon

sfc /scannow

2 Repair Windows Image.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Mayhem

I see Cortana in my Task Manager and it's only using 41mb ram and 0% CPU resources.

I'm wondering if I should even bother taking the extra steps to completely disable it.

Squid

It's not taking a huge chunk of the RAM and none of the resources?  I see your point...

S1lent

I am surprised...My Cortana Came Back.  The old Killed file is still there.  Microsoft is not gonna let us do it.

So Sorry,
S1lent

Squid

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview