This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

A Way With Words

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayhem

A Way With Words will be released sometime this summer. While we wait for it's release, here is what we know about it and some information on how to play the game.

A Way With Words puts a new spin on word search games. Craft words one letter at a time, in every direction.

- Add a letter to the board each turn, with the goal of spelling words that are three or more letters.
- Words can be horizontal, vertical, diagonal, backwards and even embedded within existing words.

How to Play

In Game Mode, you try to get the most points you can by spelling any 12 words on the board.

Each game begins with a pristine board, randomly populated with four instances of each vowel (A, E, I, O, U) in several different chip colors (red, green, blue and yellow).

Each turn, you select one of the three letter chips from your tray and place it on the board. Once you place a chip on the board, you can choose to SUBMIT to finish the turn, or CLEAR to pick and place a different letter from your tray.

Once you submit a move, the game will check to see how many words you created. Only words that are three or more letters are counted. You won't get any extra points for submitting letters that don't create words, but doing so can help you set up future words.

Don't be surprised if you get credit for words you didn't even know you made! Words can be made vertically, horizontally, diagonally, backwards and even overlapping with other words.

You also get points for spelling multiple words at once. For example, the word "are" also doubles as "era" backwards.

You can earn double the points when you make words where all the chips have the same color.

Club Pogo Members can also play Challenge Mode. In this mode, you take on a series of increasingly difficult goals to build up your word skills.

There are five power-ups to help you out :

- Word Hint suggests a word that can be created with your current chips.
- Change Letter exchanges one of your chips for a letter of your choice.
- Swap Letters replaces all three of your chips with new ones.
- Swap Color changes the color of any one chip to a different color.
- Multi-color Chip lets you make multiple color matches with the same chip.

Tips and Tricks

Looking to boost your score even higher? Here's a few tips to help you make the most of your play.

- Try to make words using the same-colored chips. You get double points for matching colors.
- The color bonus is great if you can get it, but don't let that stop you from playing a good word.
- Placing a letter chip without creating a word is a valid move, so think about setting up future words.
- Creating words that are palindromes is also a great way to earn extra points. Consider the word "bob" or "wow".

Hopefully it won't be too long before it's released.

What do you guys think? Are you looking forward to this one?
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

I think I am looking forward to this one.  It seems different, which is something Pogo hasn't been presenting much of lately.  I happen to like word games, too, so this is more up my alley vs. match 3 games, for instance.  I'm hopeful!  Thanks for posting.

Mayhem

Ethan

I'm not that great at words games but this looks like it'd be fun.
Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.

LittleFawn

It is definitely different from the recent games released. Looks to be a fun game to get into.

Mayhem

A Way With Words will be released sometime this today. When it's live, you should be able to access it from the link below.

http://www.pogo.com/games/awaywithwords_h5

gigi

Do I see another Weekly Challenge in the near future?

Mayhem

Squid

Mayhem

I like it, but the delays in calculating your points after placing each letter is going to take forever to rank out on.

Squid

I like it, too, but you're right - calculations after each letter placement will drag this out.  I'll try the other mode later.

mycatownsme

I need to check this out.

Thanks for all the great info.  hi11.gif

gigi

LittleFawn

Not for me either. I find it very boring and tedious.

Mayhem

I doesn't make any sense why Pogo would have all those delays in there. You're waiting 5-8 seconds each time you place a letter on the board.

Squid

I agree.  I was so hopeful about this game but am not really interested with the time delays, etc.

Mayhem

I really hope Pogo addresses that issue with the developers of the game.

Squid

LittleFawn

I had high hopes for this game but it takes so long in between turns. Think that is why I am not liking this so much.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview