Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

4K DVR

Started by S1lent,

Previous topic - Next topic

S1lent

Greetings all you PogoCheats,
Last month I purchased (about $750) a 4K Security Camera System from my favorite store Costco.  We live in a really low-crime area in Boise, Idaho.  WOW...what a picture.  Crystal clear, I can read license plates from across the street.  How many times have we seen video of crime scenes that the picture is of such low quality...lots.

Now for the bad news.

Me wanting to show off my new toy, everyone said how great it is...But, I got a CableOne warning saying I used 750GB of data last month...my limit is 300GB.  So I had to unplug it because it is always uploading.

Just thought you might be interested.

S1lent, aka Ken #2, aka Kona, aka Mex, aka "NO-DATA" left to download

Mayhem

Does it have a motion detection option?

If so, you'll want to enable that so it only records when something in view is moving. That should reduce the bandwidth usage dramatically.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

Excellent suggestion!   I should get one of those.  Unfortunately, our crime rate is a notch or two above Boise

Mayhem

I've been looking at the 1080p cameras, but there are just so many to choose from ...

I like this one, but not sure if you have to have a smart phone to view anything.

https://shop.ring.com/collections/security-cams/products/spotlight-cam-wired?variant=56549570891

Squid

That system would be perfect for me if it weren't for the plug in portion.  I don't want to have an electrician come in and put in plugs in areas where I would want the camera.  Plus, I don't do the smart phone thing.  I eventually will but am putting it off for as long as possible.  I have a smart phone but no data plan - I only use the phone for calls.  The phone was free.

You can view with your camera, Mayhem, on PC, tablet or phone.  That's better than having a separate recording viewing device.

Stinkerbell

I've been wanting one of those video doorbells.  I live in a higher crime area - a notch or 10 above Boise - and I would like a system.

I had a dream last night that someone broke into our house. In the dream I came home from errands and saw the garage door opened. I assumed I had forgotten to close it.  I went into the house to get something and saw nothing wrong.  I went back out to do more errands, came home and saw a huge UHaul in my driveway and all the people scattered like roaches when they saw me. I went inside and my house was a shambles. They left the TVs, all the furniture except my sofa. My china cabinets were still there, but all my antique glass was gone.  I knew, without even going into the bedroom, that my grandmother's and my mother's wedding rings would be gone, but everything else would be there.

This morning, after waking up and thinking about how devastated I was by the dream and my things being taken, I realized that the only things missing were the things I value.  The sofa ....  I love that sofa. It has a pattern of black and golden labs in a country home, resting on a hearth. It's an unusual pattern for a sofa, I know, but the golden lab looks just like my dog, Honey, who had to be put to sleep in 2013.  I've had that since 2003, before we got Honey. The antique pattern glass - Early American Pressed Pattern Glass, if anyone want to look it up - is very important to me. I love the history behind it and the pieces are rare. Most made 1860s-1880s. 

It'll take me some time to really sort through this dream, but there's clearly some message there.

Mayhem

Quote from: Squid on July 27, 2018, 03:28:01 AM
That system would be perfect for me if it weren't for the plug in portion.  I don't want to have an electrician come in and put in plugs in areas where I would want the camera.  Plus, I don't do the smart phone thing.  I eventually will but am putting it off for as long as possible.  I have a smart phone but no data plan - I only use the phone for calls.  The phone was free.

You can view with your camera, Mayhem, on PC, tablet or phone.  That's better than having a separate recording viewing device.

I prefer wired so I don't have to keep recharging a battery pack. I also want to be able to view and store the camera feed on one of my computers. So it's tough to find something that will meet all my requirements.

Oh and here is the same system I linked earlier - that isn't wired.

https://shop.ring.com/collections/security-cams/products/spotlight-cam-battery?variant=56549554187

C~M

Quote from: Mayhem on July 27, 2018, 12:30:20 AM
I've been looking at the 1080p cameras, but there are just so many to choose from ...

I like this one, but not sure if you have to have a smart phone to view anything.

https://shop.ring.com/collections/security-cams/products/spotlight-cam-wired?variant=56549570891

iOS, Android, Mac and Windows 10 compatible

Mayhem

Quote from: C~M on July 27, 2018, 11:10:38 AM
iOS, Android, Mac and Windows 10 compatible

Ah, I missed that part. It's too bad Linux is not on the list, it'd be nice to record on the same box where the PogoCheats backups are stored.

Squid

Quote from: Mayhem on July 27, 2018, 09:27:00 AM
I prefer wired so I don't have to keep recharging a battery pack. I also want to be able to view and store the camera feed on one of my computers. So it's tough to find something that will meet all my requirements.

Oh and here is the same system I linked earlier - that isn't wired.

https://shop.ring.com/collections/security-cams/products/spotlight-cam-battery?variant=56549554187
I, too, don't want to recharge so you can see my dilemma.  I would, also, like to store footage on a computer for review or in case something occurs.  Can't an intruder just unplug these cameras?

S1lent

Greetings all,
In addition to the 4K cameras I have the Ring Doorbell.  There is a big difference in the quality of the Picture.  Ring is a step down and mine is somewhat slow for notifications.  Now the 1080p is good but if you want a quality picture the 4K does the job.

BTW...talked to my ISP (Cableone) and it is only $25 per month more to go from 300GB to 600GB.  Heck my cable bill is $236 a month.  That includes HBO/Showtime and two HDVRs.  I remember saying "I will never Pay for TV"...back in the days when we had just 3 channels and my lovely wife was my remote control.

Ok, time for wine.
S1lent

Squid

Quote from: s1lentscream on July 27, 2018, 04:50:18 PM
I remember  ...back in the days when we had just 3 channels and my lovely wife was my remote control.

Ok, time for wine.
S1lent
hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

Mayhem

Quote from: Squid on July 27, 2018, 02:08:40 PM
I, too, don't want to recharge so you can see my dilemma.  I would, also, like to store footage on a computer for review or in case something occurs.  Can't an intruder just unplug these cameras?

They technically can steal the camera, but it's all caught on tape if they do. That camera will be live feeding your computer via wifi during the whole process. Heck, if you go with the battery option, you might be able to get a live feed of inside their car before they take off  tongue.gif

Squid

S1lent

Good morning Mayhem, Squid and all you other PogoCheats,
Yes, cloud record is a good idea.  Mayhem's Idea about just recording "motion detection" to the cloud is something I will investigate today.  Heck, I'm retired and I look for things to do.  I will try to post a picture of how clear this 4K system.  Additionally, I think there is a way for guests to view the video...it is just outside views of our yard.

Back to reading the paper and doing the Jumble and Sudoku,  I try the 7 Little words...but with my public education...only completed one of them.  My wife has a perfect record for over a year...she reads alot.

S1lent

BTW disconnecting the DVR, my data has dropped from 40GB a day down to 5 and 3 for the last two days.

Mayhem

Quote from: s1lentscream on July 28, 2018, 06:33:03 AM
BTW disconnecting the DVR, my data has dropped from 40GB a day down to 5 and 3 for the last two days.

If you do have the motion detect option, that number won't climb much higher.

S1lent

Greetings Mayhem and all you other PogoCheats,

After spending a some time on my Lorex DVR settings menu...found the option to record Motion Detection. 
Thanks for the tip
S1lent

Mayhem

That's great to hear! Let us know what you daily usage works out to be with that option on.

S1lent

Greetings Mayhem and all you other PogoCheats,
What a great place to vent, ask questions and spend some free time.

Will let everyone know what my daily usage of data in a few days.  Adjusted my DVR to record motion detection only.

Got with my ISP (CableOne) and increased my data plan from 300GB to 600GB per month...it also increased my download speed from 100MB to 150MB and upload speed from 3MB to 5MB.  BTW, on speed test my download is 176MB...not too bad for Idaho.

Anyway here is a pic of my front yard...actually the quality of the DVR is much better than the pic as shown below.  It is crystal clear on my iPhone, better on iPad and outstanding on PC

S1lent

Squid

Very clear!  Won't road traffic trigger your motion detector?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview