This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

First ever real image of a black hole

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayhem

I love everything to do with space and it's too bad Stephen Hawking wasn't around to see this.

To collect the data used in the black hole image, the team gathered information from six locations - Antarctica, Chile, Mexico, Hawaii, Arizona, and Spain. By combining data from multiple places, researchers were able to build a system powerful enough to peer into the heart of a black hole. This one resides 55 million light years away from earth.

More Info : https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2019/04/harvard-scientists-lead-team-revealing-black-hole/

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

I saw this on the news yesterday.  SO COOL!  They said the black hole is the size of our entire solar system.   Black holes.... so strong that light and TIME cannot escape.  I can't imagine...

Mayhem

What I find really interesting is that a collision/merger of two black holes is the most powerful event in the universe. It releases more power than the rest of the universe combined.

You don't want to be anywhere near it when that happens ...

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

UNREAL stuff!  I love the brains that have sorted all this out - just incredible.

MsMissy

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview