Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Scrabble's Profanity Filter

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayhem

Quote from: Stinkerbell on June 24, 2019, 06:20:21 AM
The image/example they used (above) is in a chat room, not a game board. Other players in the room can't see your game board, only your chat. This has to be chat specific. Regarding swearing in a game, all the word games have certain words blocked. If it's not allowable, you can't enter the letters and then hit "play".

Ah, so this profanity filter has to be for chat then!
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

It makes sense that this applies to in-game profanity.  I've never tried to play a naughty word so I wouldn't know, unlike Stinky.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Squid on June 24, 2019, 09:34:04 AM
It makes sense that this applies to in-game profanity.  I've never tried to play a naughty word so I wouldn't know, unlike Stinky.

Not in game, chat specific.

Squid

Stinkerbell

This is definitely about chat, not the game.  As you can see, the game will allow me to click the play button to spell the word slut, but when I type the same word in the chat I get warned.

Mayhem

Thank you for testing that for us!

MsMissy

Thank you for posting this about Scrabble.

Mayhem

The question now is ... are they planning to (eventually) use this new profanity filter in all their games?

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Mayhem on June 25, 2019, 08:29:33 AM
The question now is ... are they planning to (eventually) use this new profanity filter in all their games?

That's what I wonder, too. Maybe they've added this extra step (the warning) to the profaners (is that a real word?) so that those in the chat rooms don't have to continually look at the ***s all over the screen (IF they have turned on the filter). And, for those who don't know they can turn on the filter, it can be quite a shock to see some of the profanity scroll across the screen.  Kids use Pogo, too.

So maybe they're planning to switch all games to auto- filtered. But will they close the "uncensored chat" rooms?

Mayhem

They probably won't close the uncensored rooms. They need to give everyone a place to chat.