This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Windows 7 End of Life

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayhem

Just a reminder that Windows 7 is officially no longer supported by Microsoft as of today, January 14th.

If you continue to use Windows 7, your PC will still work but it may become more vulnerable to security risks as Microsoft is no longer providing security updates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/windows/end-of-windows-7-support
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

MsMissy

I also have a laptop with windows 7. I always did like like it.

Mayhem

My guest computer is still running Windows 7, but everything else has been upgraded to Windows 10.

Mayhem

Just a heads up that you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

I'm not sure how long this will last, so if you're interested I would do it fairly quickly. I successfully updated my guest computer earlier today following these instructions :

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-7-is-done-heres-how-to-get-windows-10-for-free/

Squid

Thanks for posting the info, Mayhem!  I upgraded to 10 and it went really well.  I was surprised by how well it went!

Mayhem

Thank you for bringing this to my attention the other day! After my methods didn't work, I figured I'd have to buy Win 10 for that machine.

Mayhem

I just wanted to add that I recommend doing a fresh install after the upgrade. Some people have reported running into odd issues down the road.

You do not need a Windows 10 license key to do this, as your computer information is already stored on the Microsoft servers during the upgrade.

If this something you would like to do, you must create a Windows 10 bootable installation on a USB key or burn the image to a DVD. This instructions on how to do this can be found below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

smokyrain

Thanks for the info. I have one computer at work that is still on Windows 7, and of course it is the bookeepers computer. Bought it new 2 years ago. I may try it on Monday and see what happens.

Squid

My work computer was still running on Win7, Smoky, and I'm glad I upgraded to Win10.  I did it about 10 days ago.

smokyrain

Quote from: Squid on February 01, 2020, 07:03:42 PM
My work computer was still running on Win7, Smoky, and I'm glad I upgraded to Win10.  I did it about 10 days ago.

Good to hear Squid. I hope it still works tomorrow. :)

Mayhem

You should be just fine, but for anyone else holding out I would recommend upgrading now before this method no longer works.

smokyrain

Quote from: Mayhem on February 03, 2020, 12:34:18 AM
You should be just fine, but for anyone else holding out I would recommend upgrading now before this method no longer works.
It worked fine. Activated Windows 10 Pro. Thanks so much

Squid

smokyrain

Mayhem

Quote from: smokyrain on February 03, 2020, 09:14:21 AM
It worked fine. Activated Windows 10 Pro. Thanks so much

I'm glad to hear it worked for you!  tumbsup.gif

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview