PlayBuddy
March 28, 2024, 11:00:50 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

California - "shelter-in-place" mandated.

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) announced a statewide order on Thursday mandating that Californians stay at home except for essential work and errands due to the coronavirus pandemic.

California, which is home to approximately 40 million people, will be the first state in the nation under such an order. The policy, aimed at curbing the rate of infection, goes into effect Thursday evening.

"We are confident that the people in the state of California will abide by it," Newsom said in a Thursday news conference.

Under the stay at home, or "shelter-in-place," policy, Californians are permitted to leave their residences for errands such as going to the grocery store or picking up a prescription at a pharmacy. Employees of businesses deemed essential are also permitted to work outside the home. And residents are still permitted to go for walks outside, so long as they practice safe social distancing.

Read more here:

zipper.gifhttps://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/california-stay-at-home-order-gavin-newsom-coronavirus-014232940.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb

Mayhem

I'm not too surprised by this ... It was bound to happen sooner than later. I don't think a lot of people are taking the outbreak seriously.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

The young people are still getting together, thinking they are immune.  The Florida beaches at spring break are still open until Monday.  That is one stupid governor.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Squid on March 20, 2020, 07:36:56 AM
The young people are still getting together, thinking they are immune.  The Florida beaches at spring break are still open until Monday.  That is one stupid governor.

Maybe he's just trying to weed out the gene pool.

Mayhem

Quote from: Squid on March 20, 2020, 07:36:56 AM
The Florida beaches at spring break are still open until Monday.

Just saw this news bit this morning :

Local officials in Florida towns and cities are now taking it upon themselves to close beaches amid the coronavirus outbreak after Gov. Ron DeSantis refused to, even as spring breakers and others crowd the shores.

Squid

Quote from: Mayhem on March 20, 2020, 09:18:21 AM
Just saw this news bit this morning :

Local officials in Florida towns and cities are now taking it upon themselves to close beaches amid the coronavirus outbreak after Gov. Ron DeSantis refused to, even as spring breakers and others crowd the shores.
Well, at least someone there is using their brain.  I think the tourism dollars are too much for the governor to resist.

Mayhem

It amazing that something like that would even be allowed with statistics like this.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The new day is reset at midnight.

Squid

Mayhem

Yeah, this getting a little scary now ...

My brother went to pick up Dominos pizza on Friday night and the 3 employees yelled at him not to come in when he opened the door. He had to wait until someone brought the pizza outside to him - and pay for it on a wireless debit machine. The kid apologized to him and said the management really needs to put a sign up stating these new rules.

This is the first time I've heard of any panic in our area. We have no reported cases here, so I'm surprised this was even an issue.

Squid

My state has a shelter in place order now.  You can leave for medical attention, groceries, work - if they are permitted to operate, outdoor exercise if you keep away from other peeps.  I haven't moved my car in days.

LittleFawn

I cannot understand why people insist on going outside when ordered to stay at home. I know it is hard but this virus spreads like wildfire.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: LittleFawn on March 23, 2020, 02:20:47 PM
I cannot understand why people insist on going outside when ordered to stay at home. I know it is hard but this virus spreads like wildfire.

I don't have the answer. Why does anybody do the stupid stuff they do? I saw a video on Facebook today of two people inside of Walgreens with big tote bags just cleaning off the shelves, while the employees could only stand by and watch. This happened in San Francisco. They didn't care that they were being filmed, they loaded their bags with medications and walked out the door.

We live in a world were too many people think that the rules and the laws do not apply to them. They are somehow more entitled than anybody else. They are invincible.

Until they are not. And then they're just pissed off.

Mayhem

We don't have that issue here, but I've noticed that the grocery stores have now put a purchase limit on the hard to get items.

I was able to get everything I needed on Monday.

Squid

You're lucky, Mayhem, there's a great deal of ugliness out there.  I do see good things happening, too.

Mayhem

Yeah, I've seen a lot of that ugliness on video sites. I really hope things turn around soon.

snowflower

I've seen strangers helping others and it's a great feeling giving me a smile and renewed hope!  tumbsup.gif
Then sadly, I turn around and they're pushing and shoving someone else behind me.
Sad, but I guess it's a sign of the times..   camera.gif
Hopefully, this will improve when they find a vaccine   undecided.gif

LittleFawn

A vaccine will take 18 months to do. Just wish people had patience but many are at home with nothing to do and people get restless and do mean things. What is our world coming too?

Mayhem

What scares me the most about this pandemic is how it effects the older generation.

I'm not too concerned about catching it myself, as I'm in good health - but I worry about my parents. I'm doing my part by staying at home and only going out to do grocery shopping.

Squid

I am still working but a reduced schedule.  Otherwise, I am home.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview