This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Adobe

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

After an update it looks like Adobe isn't the default for opening pdf files anymore. I'm trying to change it back but can't figure out how. This is what the pdf files on my desktop look like now.

I'm trying to upload a pdf file to a website but the website won't recognize it. Somehow I was able to change that single file back to adobe, but can't figure out how to set it as default.

Mayhem

Click on the Windows Icon > Settings > Search for "Default apps".

You should be able to change it in there.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Stinkerbell

I found it but not under default apps. It's under apps and features and doesn't allow me to set it as default.

Mayhem

Stinkerbell

I fixed it. Edge had taken over. I hate that!!!  I opened adobe and in the upper right search bar I typed "default" and it popped up and even showed me where to click on everything to set it as default. Now all the right icons are back!  cheerleading.gif cheerleading.gif cheerleading.gif cheerleading.gif

Thanks for your help!

Mayhem

Stinkerbell

Thank you for that link. Edge reset pdf files to Edge again. I hate it. I followed your directions and assigned it in settings.

Mayhem

You're welcome, I'm glad you got it sorted out!

Stinkerbell

Edge keeps hijacking .pdf files. I'm so frustrated! I change it back to adobe, but it gets hijacked again.  I see some registry edit steps to make it so edge can't do that anymore, but I'm not tech savvy enough to feel comfortable attempting that. Does anyone know of an easier way??

Mayhem

I'm not seeing any solution to this issue for later versions of windows. Could you show me a link to that registry fix?

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Mayhem on May 30, 2020, 12:49:43 AM
I'm not seeing any solution to this issue for later versions of windows. Could you show me a link to that registry fix?

If I can find it again, I'll pass it on.

Mayhem

It looks like a lot of people are having this issue as well. This "takeover" issue could have been fixed in the big Windows May update.

Stinkerbell

Here's a link to the description:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/microsoft-edge-keeps-hijacking-my-pdfs/td-p/10754576?page=1

It happened again today. I was thinking maybe during an update or a system check it was happening, but I went to eat lunch, came back to the computer, and adobe had been hijacked again.  swear2.gif swear2.gif swear2.gif swear2.gif swear2.gif

Mayhem

According to Google, this appears to be a really big issue .. with no real solutions.

I'm not sure if this will solve your issue or not - but if you install the new Microsoft Chromium Edge, it will uninstall your old Edge browser and replace it with this new one and *might* solve the hijacking issue.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge

Squid

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Mayhem on June 04, 2020, 12:53:27 AM
According to Google, this appears to be a really big issue .. with no real solutions.

I'm not sure if this will solve your issue or not - but if you install the new Microsoft Chromium Edge, it will uninstall your old Edge browser and replace it with this new one and *might* solve the hijacking issue.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge

Thanks for the suggestion, but I updated that a month or 2 ago.

Mayhem

Have you upgraded to the latest Windows 10 May Update (v2004)?

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Mayhem on June 04, 2020, 08:30:43 AM
Have you upgraded to the latest Windows 10 May Update (v2004)?

Not sure

Mayhem

Then you probably haven't. It's a big update that requires your computer to be rebooted multiple times.

It also may fix your issue, but I'm not 100% sure.

The update is slowly rolling out to users, so be sure to keep an eye on your Windows Update for it. It will not start automatically, you will need to click on it for it to start.

Stinkerbell

It looks like I have not updated. I saw somebody say not to do it until they tell you to do it. But I don't get notifications, I go in periodically and check, so do you think it safe to download and install?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview