PlayBuddy
April 18, 2024, 10:16:00 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Garden Blast : Use 120 rockets or rocket power-up combos this week! [Download Cheat]
World Class Solitaire HD : Place 200 cards into the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

iPhone Voice to Text

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

So I use Voice to Text a lot.  I get frustrated when I'm texting my friend about my mother in law, Marcia, but Siri spells it Marsha. I've corrected it dozens of times but Siri keeps spelling it wrong. It won't work to edit my mother in laws contact information because she's deceased and doesn't have a good contact #. Another name Siri butchers is Van Amerongen. And said butchering isn't consistent.

Is there a database that can be edited so that Siri will spell things correctly??

LittleFawn

I recently switched to IPhone but have not used Siri yet. Hopefully someone with more experience can answer this.

S1lent

Greetings Stinker and all you other iPhone users,
There are several ways to "help" Siri.  I'll include a few here...search google for Siri Corrections...or something like that.  BTW...I purchased an iPhone 11 Pro Max.  With my military discount the price was under $1000.  Also got an Apple Watch...just the entry one.  So now I have a Rolex (entry level @ under $10,000) on my left wrist and Apple Watch on right wrist. The camera on the iPhone is Great...you will not be disappointed.

Here are those notes.
The simplest way is to tap the Microphone icon and try your query again. You can say something along the lines of, "I meant Botswana."
You can also tap your question to edit or fix what Siri thinks you said. You can make edits by using the keyboard or by voice. If a word is underlined, you can use the keyboard to make a correction.
Siri seeks your permission before sending a dictated message. That's a safeguard you come to appreciate. If you need to modify the message, you can do so by saying such things as, "Change Tuesday to Wednesday" or "Add: I'm excited to see you, exclamation mark" — indeed, I'm excited to see you and an ! will be added.
Have you ever had one of those Siri moments, where you ask her to search for something, and she interprets your speech incorrectly? I'm guessing all of us have, at one time or another.
One thing Siri doesn't do very well is provide for "no I meant..." error correction, at least using speech. Next time you use Siri and the result is something you didn't expect, don't just press the home button in frustration, but correct Siri using your iPhone or iPad keyboard instead.
Let's say you're searching for the location of Costa Rica. YOu might say, "Where is Costa Rica?" and Siri my respond with, "I didn't fine any places matching 'coaster Rica'. We could hurl the iPhone or iPad down in disgust at this point, but it cost too much to do that, so let's just do this:
Tap the bubble with the incorrectly parsed text. In this case, that's the "Where is coaster Rica" at the top. The bubble will turn into an editable text field, and you can select coaster and replace it with Costa using the iPhone or iPad keyboard. When you've made the correction, hit Done on the iOS keyboard, and Siri will then reply with a much better answer. Though, in my case, Siri told me where San Jose, San Jose was. Ah, Siri. Try again.

Mayhem

This is what Google is saying to do :

How to correct Siri's spelling

You can also change the way Siri spells words or names for dictation purposes – such as the spelling of Louis (as Siri renders it) as Louie.

Start by heading into Contacts and hitting the + button to add a new entry.

Type in the word or name in the way that you want it spelled as the First name. Then scroll down and hit add field.

In the Add Field screen, hit Phonetic first name, tap the mic button in the bottom right corner, and dictate the word. Hit Done.

Now, when using Siri for dictation, it should spell the word or name as you would prefer it used.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview