This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Missing Operation System

Started by Squid,

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

I should really give it a shot.  The computer was only 2 or 3 years old when the fan went.  It certainly has more life in it.  I looked online and can get the fan for about 12 bucks.  Ok, I'm going to put my big girl panties on and give it a go.  I just have to find those screw drivers!  I always keep them in the same place - toolbox in the storage area of my basement - in the same room as my furnace and water heater.  I had both of them serviced and wonder if someone with sticky fingers liberated me from my screw drivers.  I have no proof, just a sneaking suspicion.

S1lent

Greetings Squid,
Amazon has a large selection of Jewelers screwdrivers most under $10.  But first google screwdrivers there are hundreds of different types.  This sounds like a fun project, kinda like a new game on Pogo.
You can do it
S1lent

Squid

My nearby hardware place has a 12-set of phillips head and flat heads - all various mini.  I'll go check them out.  They're 5 bucks

smokyrain

Quote from: Squid on November 15, 2020, 06:55:03 AM
OMG, I'm in.  I was finally able to get into BIOS, although my BIOS looks nothing like those pictured online.  Everything is called other stuff.  I took a chance on a couple of settings and I'm in somehow.  I have no idea what I was doing.  I prayed to the computer gods and they must have listened.  Now I'm busy making sure all my back ups are completed.  This can be scary stuff!

So glad you got it working Squid... I have managed to fix some computers by just messing with some settings in BIOS as well. Some I can never explain how it got wrecked in the first place and how I fixed it.

But Mayhem is right, just watch the right video a few times, order the correct parts and tools, and most likely you can fix it for way cheaper.

This last September I updated the Alienware Area 51 ALX 2012 with new video cards. That went well, so then I thought I would add an SSD and clone it from a Raid 1 Array. Well that went south in a hurry. Thank god I made a backup, but even with that I had to run a lot of commands to get the backup to boot lol. All is well though now. I had to leave it for a bit, calm down and then I could think to search the issue and fix it    hysterical.gif

Mayhem

Quote from: Squid on November 22, 2020, 08:25:44 AM
I should really give it a shot.  The computer was only 2 or 3 years old when the fan went.  It certainly has more life in it.  I looked online and can get the fan for about 12 bucks.  Ok, I'm going to put my big girl panties on and give it a go.  I just have to find those screw drivers!  I always keep them in the same place - toolbox in the storage area of my basement - in the same room as my furnace and water heater.  I had both of them serviced and wonder if someone with sticky fingers liberated me from my screw drivers.  I have no proof, just a sneaking suspicion.

You can do this! If you have any questions, just ask away!
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

smokyrain

Squid

This might be a project for this weekend.  Thanks, all!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview