This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Movie crew member dead after shooting incident involving Alec Baldwin

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayhem

A female crew member has died and another injured following an accident involving a prop firearm on the New Mexico set of the film "Rust," according to a law enforcement statement provided to CNN.

According to the Santa Fe County Sherrif's Office, the prop firearm was discharged by actor and producer Alec Baldwin, 68.

The female victim was identified as director of photography Halyna Hutchins, 42, according to investigators. She was transported to the hospital via helicopter and pronounced dead by medical personnel at University of New Mexico Hospital.

The other victim, 48-year-old director Joel Souza, was transported to Christus St. Vincent's Hospital by ambulance for care. Details on his condition were not released.

"Rust," from director Joel Souza, is a western film set in the 1880s that stars Baldwin.

The sheriff's office said the investigation "remains open and active" and no charges have been filed.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Mayhem

I'm curious how she was even shot. She's not an actor in the movie, so why was he shooting the gun in her direction?

Squid

My guess would be that he was told it was a prop gun and safe and he was playing around.  Of course, I really have no idea.

kimberb

Quote from: Mayhem on October 24, 2021, 12:53:11 AM
I'm curious how she was even shot. She's not an actor in the movie, so why was he shooting the gun in her direction?

He probably was pointing at the camera for a close shot of the gun. The Cinematographer and director would likely be nearby, had to have been in order for both to be shot.

I had heard they were rehearsing. I also heard guns had gone off accidentally multiple times that week on set. Multiple crew members left the set in protest earlier that day. The production was trying to cut costs and not really caring about safety.

This should've never happened again. It's how Brandon Lee died while filming The Crow in 1993.
Kim

Mayhem

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview