Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Do you know what April is?

Started by Squid,

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

It's EARTH MONTH! 

According to the Sierra Club, there are many things we can do to lessen our impact on the environment.  Here's a small list but don't be shy - come up with some of your own!
Let's be kind to the earth.

1.  Gather your friends and colleagues for a casual outdoor yoga or stretching session. This is a great activity to help you concentrate on mind-body wellness while connecting with the outdoors. Pro tip: Plan your session at sunrise or sunset for an even more beautiful and relaxing experience.

2.  Have old outdoor gear, toys, or clothes that you're looking to replace? Host a neighborhood clothing or toy swap. This is a great way to find a new home for items you're looking to part with, snag some "new" goods, and reduce waste by diverting your unwanted belongings from landfills.

3.  We've all heard of New Year's resolutions, but what about Earth Day resolutions? Create a checklist with some short term and long term goals, or jot down some eco-minded ideas in a journal to inspire you to treat every day like Earth Day!

4.  Nothing says Earth Day like a rejuvenating hike and litter clean-up combo! Whether you're hitting the trail with a group of friends or going for a solo stroll around the neighborhood, this is a great way to get in your exercise for the day while helping to keep our planet beautiful. Bonus: You can join thousands across the country and raise money with Team Sierra while you hike or clean!

5.  Have old electronic devices or equipment sitting around? You're not the only one! Host a drive at your workplace or school to collect e-waste and other materials that can be difficult to recycle.

6.  Get crafty with some environmentally-inspired Do-It-Yourself projects! Transform your old T-shirts into fun reusable shopping totes, or create homemade stationary by making biodegradable seed paper.

7.  Plant a tree, or two, or three! Get your hands dirty and plant some native flowers or trees to help restore local habitats and keep our planet beautiful.

8.  There's no better time to get started on your spring cleaning than Earth Month! Use environmentally-friendly cleaning products to make your home spotless, and get rid of clutter by collecting gently used clothes, furniture, and other household items you no longer have a use for to donate to people in need.

9.  Earth Day (4/22) is a great opportunity for us to reflect on our own ecological footprints and consider ways in which we can reduce our  impact on a daily basis. A great way to start thinking about this is by going on "scavenger hunt" of your home or your workplace to search for areas where you can reduce waste, energy, and water use. Not only will you be conserving natural resources, but the savings you generate can help your wallet too!

10. Find some time to enjoy nature-themed books like Dr. Suess's The Lorax—a great option for children and adults alike!

Mayhem

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

I'm concentrating on making sure I do something extra every day.  Today:  I am meeting someone where we are swapping items the other needs.  He's getting a lamp I no longer want and he's giving me a monitor for my new desktop. 

Mayhem

Nice! I gave away all my old electronics last year to the local thrift store.

Squid

Quote from: Mayhem on April 03, 2022, 12:36:25 AM
Nice! I gave away all my old electronics last year to the local thrift store.
Nice!

Today I will go for a walk and pick up litter along the way.  I'll wear gloves and carry a garbage bag.  I'm considering fashioning a nail on the end of an old broom dowel to stab the litter.

Stinkerbell

I bought a bike to get around the 'hood in. Been riding it every day.

Mayhem

Quote from: Squid on April 03, 2022, 06:43:15 AM
I'm considering fashioning a nail on the end of an old broom dowel to stab the litter.

Those works well! Dad made those for us when we were kids. We used to live close to a corner store and people would always throw trash in our ditch .. and it was our job to get it out.

Squid

Quote from: Stinkerbell on April 03, 2022, 06:19:17 PM
I bought a bike to get around the 'hood in. Been riding it every day.
Wonderful!  Less carbon emission and good cardiovascular exercise!  WIN-WIN!

Mayhem

On top of that, our town requires you to separate food waste, garbage and recyclables.

It's more work than you would expect it to be.

Squid

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Mayhem on April 08, 2022, 12:38:13 AM
On top of that, our town requires you to separate food waste, garbage and recyclables.

It's more work than you would expect it to be.

But I like that a lot.

I was surprised to learn that pizza boxes are NOT a recyclable item.

snowflower

popcorn2.gif  We've been rinsing, sorting garbage here for at least 10 years. Hope this project is working!

Mayhem

Quote from: Stinkerbell on April 08, 2022, 07:02:56 AM
I was surprised to learn that pizza boxes are NOT a recyclable item.

How so? Everything that's carboard here goes into our recycle bin.

Squid

Pizza boxes are considered "dirty" with oils and melted cheese, etc.  They won't accept them here.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Mayhem on April 09, 2022, 12:44:02 AM
How so? Everything that's carboard here goes into our recycle bin.

I called our recycle service and they said they're too dirty. No plastic soda cups from places like McDonalds, but you can recycle the cardboard cups. Also, no plastic bage.

Mayhem

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Mayhem on April 10, 2022, 12:53:38 AM
So what do you do with the pizza boxes then?

Trash, but I do take SOME solace in knowing they decompose.

Squid

Quote from: Stinkerbell on April 10, 2022, 07:28:44 AM
Trash, but I do take SOME solace in knowing they decompose.
I understand that... but you should know that a great deal of paper and cardboard release dioxins into the environment.  I know, what else are we to do?  I try something a little sneaky.  If my pizza box is fully clean - no cheese, no oil spots, nothing... I will rip the box up and put it in my recycle bundle.  I don't know if I'm successful but I feel like I have to try something. 

Mayhem

Quote from: Squid on April 10, 2022, 08:14:10 AM
If my pizza box is fully clean - no cheese, no oil spots, nothing...

Yeah, that will never happen here as we have 5 pizza places all competing with each other. So while the customer wins with extra sauce and cheese, it usually leaves quite a messy box. With that said, I haven't ordered pizza in quite sometime. Ever since I discovered garlic naan bread, I've been making my own.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview