This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Is Pogo's Life Span Ending?

Started by gigi,

Previous topic - Next topic

gigi

Curious to what some of you might think.  I just noticed the number of players on Pogo right now is around 58,000.  I can remember on any given day at any given time the player count would easily been 200,000 and more.  I would hate to see Pogo close it's doors, but besides buying gems, how can they continue to keep afloat?

disneyland lady

First of all .... when do you believe anything on their site? How do they get those stats? And I hear rumors... found proof that things are afoot!

Squid

I think the numbers are more on Weds, Thurs, Weekends.  Other days there is a dwindling effect.  I work, for one.

snap20

I would assume the numbers would have to get very low for them to consider ending it. It's owned by EA. They put hardly any money into it and sell virtual products (badges, mini items, episodes, downloadable games). They don't have to pay out big $5k jackpots anymore (if they ever actually did) because now you win "rewards cards" from Discover...which means they probably have a deal with Discover and save money on that deal.

When is the last time a new game was developed from scratch by EA? Ever? They buy up other companies and role their games into the pogo site (pop cap games wasn't owned by EA or created by EA).

They have to have some staff to work on the Java/Flash issues (which are becoming fewer because they are converting everything to flash, which isn't as buggy as Java when it comes to the software) and some staff to answer questions both in help and in the forums (probably the same people).

Now, I know I've seen when I've completed badges that over 200,000 people had already finished the badge. So using 200k as a very conservative estimate (allowing for coke rewards users, subway users, other deals) at $40 a year you are look at 8 million a year, right there. That's not including anything people spend on Gems. There's no way that staff and equipment would even come up to half that in a year.

EA wouldn't have bought it if they didn't know it could just be a cash cow. Until people start leaving in droves for something better (is there any comparable site out there even?) they will continue with it. 

gigi

Quote from: snap20 on July 22, 2014, 02:40:40 PM
I would assume the numbers would have to get very low for them to consider ending it. It's owned by EA. They put hardly any money into it and sell virtual products (badges, mini items, episodes, downloadable games). They don't have to pay out big $5k jackpots anymore (if they ever actually did) because now you win "rewards cards" from Discover...which means they probably have a deal with Discover and save money on that deal.

When is the last time a new game was developed from scratch by EA? Ever? They buy up other companies and role their games into the pogo site (pop cap games wasn't owned by EA or created by EA).

They have to have some staff to work on the Java/Flash issues (which are becoming fewer because they are converting everything to flash, which isn't as buggy as Java when it comes to the software) and some staff to answer questions both in help and in the forums (probably the same people).

Now, I know I've seen when I've completed badges that over 200,000 people had already finished the badge. So using 200k as a very conservative estimate (allowing for coke rewards users, subway users, other deals) at $40 a year you are look at 8 million a year, right there. That's not including anything people spend on Gems. There's no way that staff and equipment would even come up to half that in a year.

EA wouldn't have bought it if they didn't know it could just be a cash cow. Until people start leaving in droves for something better (is there any comparable site out there even?) they will continue with it. 

somebody knows what they are talking about ..... at least I'm convinced LOL.
Thanks folks for being interested in my question
magnifier.gif

snowflower

Squid

Quote from: snap20 on July 22, 2014, 02:40:40 PM
They don't have to pay out big $5k jackpots anymore (if they ever actually did) 

I actually have a friend who won $4,999.00.  She got the check.  And she rejoiced.

snowflower

Quote from: Squid on July 22, 2014, 06:48:53 PM
I actually have a friend who won $4,999.00.  She got the check.  And she rejoiced.

YAY a true winner  cheesy.gif

snap20

Quote from: Squid on July 22, 2014, 06:48:53 PM
I actually have a friend who won $4,999.00.  She got the check.  And she rejoiced.

Cool! I'm glad they actually followed through on some of them at least. I wonder how many of those checks were actually sent out. Would be an interesting number to find out.

edit: do you happen to know if that was before or after EA took over? 

S1lent

Greetings,
POGO also "scratched" the UK site...cost cutting.

S1lent

Squid

Quote from: snap20 on July 22, 2014, 08:23:37 PM
do you happen to know if that was before or after EA took over? 

I'm not 100% positive but I think it was before.  She has one of those JP mini badges and when she wears it into the rooms, she gets deluged with questions. 

snap20

Wow there is a mini badge too? That's pretty cool. :)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview