This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Updating BIOS -Previous Question

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

Ken, I can't find the thread we were talking about it in originally, but I finally have information.

My current BIOS is AMI 80.04 from 3/26/14

The Model of my PC is HP500-314 PC

The latest BIOS version for my model is 80.15 Rev A as of 1/12/15

Now what?

Mayhem

Ok, you will want to update the bios - and here is how to do it :

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-500-Desktop-PC-series/6879020/model/6888185/document/c00007682/

If you are unsure about anything, they have a video tutorial as well. Once the update is done, make sure to reboot the computer.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

snowflower

dancing16.gif This all sounds so complex and technically wonderful  ... and WAYYYYYYY above my head, lol. Thank Heavens for this GREAT site!

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Mayhem on November 05, 2016, 06:38:59 PM
Ok, you will want to update the bios - and here is how to do it :

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-500-Desktop-PC-series/6879020/model/6888185/document/c00007682/

If you are unsure about anything, they have a video tutorial as well. Once the update is done, make sure to reboot the computer.

I'll look it over. Some places say we should never try to do this ourselves.

Mayhem

I've done it 100 times without issues. However, I suppose there are risks involved (lose power) during update.

Stinkerbell

So, I went through the steps - I chose the one to allow HP to download and install, and it zipped right through it. I restarted the computer, checked my bios version and it shows the same, 80.04 I looked in the HP Downloads folder and it's showing an updated BIOS from 11-21-15 which is newer than the one on HPs site. I clicked on that but it says I already have that on my computer.

So why am I showing the older bios when I do the search?

Anyway, the update I did didn't take.

Stinkerbell

I looked for my BIOS version another way - restarting the computer and clicking F10. I still get the 80.04 from 3/16/14

Now, when I start to install the new BIOS update I get a pop-up asking me if I want to overwrite existing files. I should click yet to all?

Mayhem

That's a good question ... I want to say yes, but I've never updated a bios the method HP requires you to do.

Do they offer telephone support? I don't want to give you wrong advice.

Stinkerbell

I have no warranty on this computer, so a call would be very expensive.

Mayhem

Stinkerbell

I'll try, but basically it's telling me that I have xxx file already on my computer, do I want to overwrite it? And it gives me the option to overwrite this one, or overwrite all.  It has me shut down all programs, though, so I'm not sure I should have SSUtil running. Think it's safe to leave it up?

Mayhem

Forget the screenshot - can you tell me the filename it wants to overwrite?

Stinkerbell

Stinkerbell

So I did take a screen shot. I opened SSUtil after the pop up came up, then closed it after the screen shot...but.... Tiny Pics has a maintenance update so I'll email it to you.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview