This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Canasta HD : Make 30 Canastas this week! [Download Cheat]
Sweet Tooth Town : Collect 80 stars this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

So Sad :(

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

I know I'm a ninny anyway, but I just sobbed when I heard this.  I can't imagine  6_6.gif

I heard on the radio this morning about a little 8 year old boy who used to go into this little market with his mom regularly.  Then one day, he started coming in alone and was buying milk, bread and some candy, using cash.  After about 10 days he came in trying to use his mom's credit card.  The cashier asked where his mom was and he said "She's in a better place."  So the cashier contacted the police and they went and found that she had died.
The little boy had survived on what he got from the market, dried rice, flour and water.  They had relocated there from New Orleans after Katrina, has no other family and no one really knew them well.  He was homeschooled, so there were no teachers or anyone to notice anything.

crzy4it

I also felt terrible when I heard this story..he has lost his father, now his mother and they are not sure about any other family members..he is in foster care right now..poor thing had already lost so much, then has to go through this.

harley89

Bless him. I hope he gets a great family to love him.

Squid

disneyland lady

You have to wonder why the mother had not been missed. They said that the child was homeschooled. And obviously she had to have done a descent job in parenting. At age 8 I was able to go across the street to play with friends but never would have ventured into a store even for candy. I sort of have the feeling that this child has the coping skills needed to be orphaned at such a young age.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: disneyland lady on January 21, 2009, 06:00:17 PM
You have to wonder why the mother had not been missed. They said that the child was homeschooled. And obviously she had to have done a descent job in parenting. At age 8 I was able to go across the street to play with friends but never would have ventured into a store even for candy. I sort of have the feeling that this child has the coping skills needed to be orphaned at such a young age.

He'd already been through so much what with being displaced after Katrina.  And as a homeschool parent, I have always included normal, everyday life lessons into our studies.  For example, writing checks, balancing checkbooks, budgeting, etc., were skills I included in math studies.  Not at age 8, of course, and the store owner did say the child came in regularly with his mother prior to that... but yeah, he clealy had been prepared for this, somehow.  No matter how you slice it, it's a sad story and hopefully his coping skills will see him through childhood and into adulthood.

who me?

Bless this poor lil boy, I wish I could hug him right now.
May God see that he is well taken care of.
6_6.gif

disneyland lady

Quote from: Stinkerbell on January 21, 2009, 09:12:46 PM
And as a homeschool parent, I have always included normal, everyday life lessons into our studies.  For example, writing checks, balancing checkbooks, budgeting, etc., were skills I included in math studies. 
I had a public school education and my senior year we had a small portion of our civics class dedicated to checkbooks. And I was in advanced math classes - maybe they thought those in advanced math would be able to hire someone to balance checkbooks. I, to this day that I need to know every penny I have, am unable to balance a checkbook. This child being homeschooled was not said as a negative at all - I live in an area of town near a mormon temple and there are many, many homeschooled kids. I find the children wonderful neighbors. So much was said in that last sentence!

Stinkerbell

Quote from: disneyland lady on January 22, 2009, 05:48:31 AM
I had a public school education and my senior year we had a small portion of our civics class dedicated to checkbooks. And I was in advanced math classes - maybe they thought those in advanced math would be able to hire someone to balance checkbooks. I, to this day that I need to know every penny I have, am unable to balance a checkbook. This child being homeschooled was not said as a negative at all - I live in an area of town near a mormon temple and there are many, many homeschooled kids. I find the children wonderful neighbors. So much was said in that last sentence!

I didn't take your comment in a negative way, but trust me when I tell you that there are some loonies out there homeschooling, and it gives the rest of us a bad name.  I heard another talk show host ask "what 8 year old could do that??" and my first thought was "a homeschooled 8 year old could do a pretty good job of it."  And especially one who came through Katrina, I can just bet the mom had to be very careful with every dime and I know she took the boy to the store with her, so as I would have done, she probably taught lessons that included shopping, making and getting change, etc.

And while I don't feel like it's the school's responsibility to teach our kids how to write a check, I too was taught this in highschool which is what prompted me to include it in our lessons -  and since I am mom/teacher, they would get it through me one way or the other.  If you check, the CDE website has all the required curriculum for the year, laid out according to grade level.  That is where I get my guidelines when planning the academics for the school year.

I think the San Diego Temple is gorgeous!  My kids went through it before it was dedicated and commented on how it looks like a dream castle inside.

(OO)

Squid

I must come from a different era.  My mother backed me up on this when I told her I have memories of leaving our house (in a city), walking up the block to a corner store and buying candy for me and my sister.  I made change, too.  I did this alone...... when I was 2 years old.  We moved into our house in the suburbs when I just turned 3 so I know it was before the age of 3.  Can an 8 year old do this?  Of course!  I feel terrible for the boy... what an awful thing losing his mother on top of so much other heartaches.  ** praying for him **

disneyland lady

Quote from: Stinkerbell on January 22, 2009, 08:54:20 AM
I think the San Diego Temple is gorgeous!  My kids went through it before it was dedicated and commented on how it looks like a dream castle inside.

(OO)

It is within a mile of my house so we see it all the time. I love when it is foggy and it suddenly appears to the side of the freeway. I also went thru before it was open. They made us wear surgical booties. I thought it looked like a 1950s kitchette inside. My grandson when he was 4 remarked "are we at disneyland?" when driving past it. Since the soapstone looking "castle" is white they have to paint it weekly to remove the graffiti it draws like an empty canvas.

FreecellFanny

Is there a link to a story about this? I'd like to know more about this boy.  6_6.gif

Stinkerbell

Quote from: FreecellFanny on January 22, 2009, 02:08:52 PM
Is there a link to a story about this? I'd like to know more about this boy.  6_6.gif

I haven't been able to find a link, I heard it on a morning radio talk show.

disneyland lady

CindyLouWho

That is just so sad, bless his heart.  Sure hope he doesn't get mistreated being in the system, what that poor child must be going thru with no family.   0:   Makes me wanta go get him & give him a home.

FreecellFanny

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview