PlayBuddy
May 15, 2024, 01:28:27 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Monopoly Sudoku : Win 30 games with 2 or more lives left this week! [Download Cheat]
Rainy Day Spider Solitaire HD : Clear 22 diamond suited sets this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

ASCAP Wants To Be Paid When Your Phone Rings

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayhem

ASCAP (the same folks who went after Girl Scouts for singing around a campfire) appears to believe that every time your musical ringtone rings in public, you're violating copyright law by "publicly performing" it without a license. At least that's the import of a brief it filed in ASCAP's court battle with mobile phone giant AT&T.

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/06/ascap-wants-be-paid-

rolleyes.gif
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

~Sassy~

Do I get mine for half price? I have my ringer on during my business hours only, and my honey keeps his business phone on vibrate.  hysterical.gif

Don't ask and don't say anything.  diablo.gif

Hurry up, I have things to do.  impatience.gif

I know Squid is lurking around here somewhere.  magnifier.gif

disneyland lady

As a card carrying member of ASCAP I have to wonder if this is just their way of trying to pay for the Board of Directors huge benefits package. I was still working for Warner Music when ASCAP was sending scathing letters off to Big Brother because one of the housemates had been singing a song. Haven't you ever wondered why none of these reality shows let anyone just sing a known song. Even American Idol has rules about how much of the song could be sung. One of these days our sheet music will have electronic coding to let ASCAP know when you have turned a page.

Homer

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Squid

Quote from: ~Sassy~ on June 23, 2009, 03:40:39 PM
I know Squid is lurking around here somewhere.  magnifier.gif
You betcha!

I think all cell phones should have tracking devices that will tell the device when they are in places where the rings and chatting are irritating to other people in the vicinity.  Phones will automatically turn off.  If I have to listen to some inane conversation in the library.... or on line in the grocery store.... or in a courtroom after 4 - FOUR - yes, four - people have told everyone to SHUT OFF YOUR PHONES, I'll start some phone smashin'!

Court?  It's a long story.   giggle2.gif 
J/K

harley89

My cell rarely rings guess that is cause only 5 people actually have the number.  And I agree with Squid people are so rude using those things. 

Stinkerbell

Squid

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview