PlayBuddy
May 06, 2024, 01:23:27 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Quinn's Aquarium : Collect 60 pairs of Shell Tiles this week! [Download Cheat]
Crossword Cove HD : Solve 65 down words without using hints this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Java Drop Down Box

Started by snowflower,

Previous topic - Next topic

snowflower

white flag.gif HELP?

What's up with this Java Drop Down Box???

I can't do my Rated Spades Challenge.  I'm getting a drop down box that says: Java has discovered application components that could indicate a security concern. "Block potentially unsafe components from being run?"       YES (recommended)      NO

If I click YES .. the screen freezes and I have go to Task Manager to get out.  If I try to click NO, it just freezes anyway.

It only happens in Spades.... anyone got any ideas please????

snowflower

rolleyes.gif Sorry, I should have put this under Technical Help .. just so so so so frustrated!!!!

snap20

What browser are you using? Firefox? IE? There should be a check box that says something along the lines of "always use this choice" or "always run" something or another. Check that and click "NO". It's the new safety settings in most browsers with Java because of all the issues. The security setting is a step higher than it used to be. When it freezes, did you wait a minute or two? Make sure you do. If you do and nothing happens, going to task manager and killing the process for ONLY Java first, then refresh the page/browser and it should work. You might have to hold CTRL and then hit F5 though too.

if you are using Chrome or Firefox, try IE.

C~M

Have you updated to latest Java version?

Also, you may need to close all browser windows and clean everything good with a program like CCleaner and then try again.

snowflower

white flag.gif

I'm running IE9.
CM, yes I've updated Java to latest version.

In Java Control Panel under:

Security:
-Enable Java content in the browser is checked.

Advanced:
-Default Java for browsers.
Microsoft Internet Explorer is not checked (won't allow me to).
Mozilla Family is checked.
IS THIS HOW IT SHOULD BE?

Snap, where do I find the check box that says always use or something similar please? In the Java Contrrol Panel...?

Any help you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated... thanks so much!

snap20

The checkbox would be in the notice that pops up on your screen when you try and load spades.

Here's something you can try, in the Java control panel choose the "Security" tab. Choose "Medium" as your security level. Try that. If you are able to play spades like that, go for it, but after you done with your badge, I'd move it back to the recommended high setting since everything else seems to work with it set to high.

If that doesn't work...then...uh...we may be in for a conundrum.

snowflower

Snap ... that Java drop down box won't allow me to do anything other than click YES or NO and then it freezes, ugh!
I will take your advice on setting my Java Control Security Tab to Medium before trying Spades, and then back to High again after completion.

shocked.gif  WHY WHY is this only happening in SPADES? Anyone know??  Frustrating!! lol.

embrace.gif Thanks so much to both of you for everything, am VERY grateful for all help offered!!!

snowflower

sad.gif
I tried lowering it Snap but it made no difference .. I cannot get into Spades.  Really don't know where to go from here ... thanks everyone!!

snap20

If you can't select to enable it in IE on the control panel, it isn't going to work. I'm not sure why it would be grayed out. Does it allow you to check it if you lower the security setting? Try lowering it to medium or low, and check the advanced page to see if you can check the IE box.

Do you have Chrome or FF installed? Maybe give one of those a try.

Just to verify you are using Java Version 7 update 15, correct? You can check your Add/Remove programs (where that is and what it's called depends on if you use Win7, Vista, 8 or XP). If you look in that list and there is more than one Java program, you should remove anything older than the 7 update 15. If Java FX appears, remove that too.

I tried to run the game in IE (I have an old version though, since I never use it...Version 7) and it froze, then just completely shut down the browser. LOL. So i'm not sure what's going on with IE and Spades.

snowflower

swear2.gif DARN SPADES!

Hi Snap,
I lowered the Security Setting to Medium then to Low but it still wouldn't let me put a check mark in IE Box on the Advanced Page.
I have Chrome and it does exactly the same thing as IE.
I also have FireFox but havent tried it yet .. I guess I should at least give it this one last shot? lol.
I went to Add/Remove and the only Java installed is 7 update 15.

I have no problem (yet at least) of getting into any other game room.
Could it be it's just this game ~ SPADES ~ causing all this havoc?

Thanks so much for all your advice ...  blowkisses.gif  ... so, so much appreciated!!

hotpinklovesofa

Hey there,

I was having major issues with Java a month ago as well.  I deleted the most recent version and reinstalled it but from the offline version which is under the Java downloads page and it finally started working.  Here's the link: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp.  I'm assuming you're using a Windows system so it's the first two options at the top but click on the Windows Offline link. It takes a little while longer to download because it's the old school way but it'll be worth it.  Once you've installed the program (which was saved to your desktop) and you log into Pogo it might look like it's not going to load when you first start a game but just give it a good 15-20 seconds and it will come up whether you play in-browser or with the window popped out.  If it doesn't it's usually because the whole page wasn't allowed to load so you can refresh the page and it'll work. 

If you use Firefox with any kind of frequency, you should also go to main menu (orange Firefox tab on upper left hand side), click on Add-Ons, select the Get Add-Ons tab and type Places Maintenance in the search box.  Install it, close the browser, open it up again and go to Add-Ons once more, select the Extensions tab and go to Places Maintenance 1.3 and click on Options.  Under Preset select All then press the Execute button (it's super quick.)  From then on, whenever you have issues loading on Firefox just go back to Places Maintenance and select all and execute and it'll put everything back in order.

I hope this helps.

snowflower

Thanks so much hotpink ... and everyone else.  Tried it all and still can't get into Spades with IE, Chrome or firefox. My sister is having the same issues and we've both put each reply to trial but so far nothing seems to work for us. I guess this is one badge I won't be able to get unless someone else can get in there and do it for me.  Thanks everyone ... thanks a million .. such a GREAT site!!

Squid

I'm always here for you, Snowy... although, I admit I haven't tried Spades for awhile and hope it works for me!

snowflower

embrace.gif Hey Squiddy Hunny, I'd love it ... you go girl .. I'll send details ... ty ty ty

Xanadu79

I've  had this problem at times too but it resolved with Java update 15.  However, Java update 17 is  out now, do you have that, if not, it might help.

Joe C

So Squid was able to open one active version on her computer. I was able to open one on each of my two computers. We both updated to latest version of Java. I had success with Mozilla Firefox, which I just updated as well. tumbsup.gif
Boston University Class of 2017!

Master of Science in Project Management

snowflower

Quote from: Joe C on March 05, 2013, 05:20:39 PM
So Squid was able to open one active version on her computer. I was able to open one on each of my two computers. We both updated to latest version of Java. I had success with Mozilla Firefox, which I just updated as well. tumbsup.gif

Ok, I'll try too, maybe the new update fixed it?  Will see if I can get in.  Maybe Thursday or one day when I can get some help ...?

Thanks so much...  blink.gif

snowflower

Quote from: snowflower on March 05, 2013, 08:08:21 PM
Ok, I'll try too, maybe the new update fixed it?  Will see if I can get in.  Maybe Thursday or one day when I can get some help ...?

Thanks so much...  blink.gif

Just tried ... and I GOT IN THE SPADES ROOM!!  Oh wow!!  Maybe we can get together whenever you're both available??
Sooo surprised .. thanks Joe...

Squid

I'm working all day today and would then like to get my weeklies and personals.  I'm working from home tomorrow (most of the day) and Friday.  I can help.  Let's get 'er done!  xoxox

snowflower

Quote from: Squid on March 06, 2013, 03:39:05 AM
I'm working all day today and would then like to get my weeklies and personals.  I'm working from home tomorrow (most of the day) and Friday.  I can help.  Let's get 'er done!  xoxox

huh.gif 

Ok Squiddy, whenever is great, I've just arrived home (it's 9 PM) been out all day. Haven't even started Dailies or todays challenges yet so I'm in no hurry at all.  Just so ... so ... happy to know the Java issue is solved. Whenever we can all get together is good. Happy Challenge Day!!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview