WATCH OUT JEFFY!!!! GO JUNIOR!!

Started by gator8_24,

Previous topic - Next topic

gator8_24

Earnhardt Jr. leaving DEI
Earnhardt Jr. leaving DEI

By Jerry Bonkowski, Yahoo! Sports
May 9, 2007

Dale Earnhardt Jr. officially will say goodbye to Dale Earnhardt Inc. on Thursday morning, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

A highly placed source within DEI as well as additional sources familiar with the situation told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday afternoon that both Junior and teammate Martin Truex Jr. will announce Thursday morning that they are leaving the DEI camp at the end of this season and will drive for Earnhardt's heretofore Busch Series operation, JR Motorsports.

Sirius Radio also reported late Wednesday afternoon that the Earnhardt/Truex split with DEI was a done deal and that the new Cup team entry will field Chevrolet chassis built by Hendrick Motorsports and will use Hendrick engines as well. Sources at Hendrick Motorsports reportedly disavowed knowledge of a pending partnership, however.

Sources tell Yahoo! Sports that Earnhardt Jr.'s primary sponsor, Budweiser, will follow Junior to JR Motorsports. Budweiser's contract with DEI is due to expire at the end of 2008, but Yahoo! Sports sources believe there are provisions within the contract for an early exit if Earnhardt Jr. does not drive the No. 8 Chevrolet for DEI.

The press conference, which will be televised nationally, will take place at JR Motorsports headquarters in Mooresville, N.C., at 11 a.m. ET on Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

There has been no comment thus far from either DEI president Teresa Earnhardt (Dale Jr.'s stepmother) or company director of global operations Max Siegel.

Truex's contract with DEI reportedly runs through 2008, though '08 might be only an option year on his deal with the team. It also is possible Truex has an out tied to primary sponsor Bass Pro Shops' future with the DEI. Sources have told Yahoo! Sports that the sponsor has explored moving to a different team after this season.

Earnhardt and sister Kelley Earnhardt Elledge have been in often contentious negotiations with Teresa Earnhardt that have sparked considerable posturing from both sides in the media.

Both siblings have said that if a deal with DEI was not in place by the end of May, they would consider a variety of options, including Junior leaving DEI. Just last week, DEI confirmed that it was talking with Robert Yates Racing about a possible merger and also a switch from Chevrolet power plants and chassis to Ford engines and chassis.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. began his racing career with DEI in 1996, shortly after the organization was formed by his late father, seven-time Cup champion Dale Earnhardt, and Teresa Earnhardt.

Earnhardt Jr. won back-to-back Busch Series championships in 1998 and 1999 before moving full-time to the then-Winston Cup Series in 2000. His first career Cup win was at Texas, with a memorable celebration between father and son in victory lane.

Voted the most popular driver in NASCAR by fans the last four years, Earnhardt Jr. has 17 career Cup wins but has yet to win his first Cup championship. He has gone 36 consecutive races without a win, his last being at Richmond in May 2006.

Yahoo! Sports' Bob Margolis contributed to this report.

Veteran motorsports writer Jerry Bonkowski is Yahoo! Sports' NASCAR columnist. Send Jerry a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated on Wednesday, May 9, 2007 6:49 pm EDT

and from Nascar.com

Report: Junior to drive for JR Motorsports in 2008
By NASCAR.COM
May 9, 2007
06:42 PM EDT
What subject does Dale Earnhardt Jr. want to talk about?

Members of the media have been invited to a Thursday morning news conference at the JR Motorsports race shop in Mooresville, N.C. However, details of the conference were not provided, lending speculation that it may involve his contract negotiations with Dale Earnhardt Inc.

Dave Moody reported Wednesday afternoon on Sirius Speedway that speculation is Junior and Martin Truex Jr. will drive Nextel Cup cars under the JR Motorsports banner in 2008 with Hendrick Motorsports providing engines.

SPEED will interrupt regularly scheduled programming to go live from the JR Motorsports race shop at 11 a.m. ET for the news conference.

Junior's contract with DEI is scheduled to run out at the end of the season, and he and sister Kelley Earnhardt Elledge have been involved in talks with team officials. Both parties have stated in the past that they want to have the issue resolved by May.

During Media Day at Daytona International Speedway in February, Junior first mentioned his desire to obtain a majority ownership in the company founded by his father, a demand which was repeated by Elledge two months later.

"Fifty-one [percent] is the right number because that gives us control," Elledge said. "We'll take 75 or 95 or whatever we work out. At the end of the day, 51 gives you control. And we want control."

According to the Associated Press, DEI president Max Siegel said DEI has "worked hard to address everything" that Junior sought, without discussing specific percentages.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh boy if this come true I'll be very happy. A hendrick team running under JRMotorsports!!!!!!!!  Watch out Jeffy and Jimmie in 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Homer

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

gator8_24

Well, he just said that  he will not be with DEI after this year but hasn't made plans for after that , owning own team is last resort :pp   :: < for Homer   :^* < for Junior sticking it to his stepmom!

TmT

Hey, Im not a nascar fan... sowwee... but......... I did see it on some channel Im watchin that he is leavin his team... Then I said... Oh.. uh huh.. that's what Homer and Gator is talkin bout...

Homer

gator8_24

Homer

harley89

gator8_24

Quote from: Homer on May 10, 2007, 05:55:49 PM
Because Junior makes me  :xx :xx :xx

Well,  :o0 :o0 ?.? ?.? :!$ that's Jeffy for me!  :)))

ICER

Don't believe Dale Jr. would start up his own racing team this early..He rather have majority ownership of DEI (over 50%) since the witch of DEI did indeed destroy his crew,etc.
He is worth a lot... where he goes  BUD  goes and thats $$$$$$$$.

My guess he joins RCR..unless the witch gives in! :)) :)) :))   <:>

harley89

Actually JR owns a team now. JR Racing I think is the name. He says he has no interest in owning a team. His purpose at JR is to encourage young drivers and give them a shot. He is running Bush, Hooter Pro Cup and one other series that I cant remeber. Keep in mind that his Dad never drove for DEI. HEY GATOR I am with you on Jeffy and Jimmy   :o0

Homer

Junior sucks gas!  :o0

Jeffy is the greatest racer of all time!

gator8_24

:)) :)) :)) :))  I've been saving these for the perfect time!
I am innocent! 0:

Thanks, Harley!

Homer

gator8_24

Quote from: Homer on May 11, 2007, 06:30:43 PM
Tell Junior to win a race then you can brag.

Oh gosh that may never happen all season! The one is Dale Sr's #3. Ya mean I have to be quiet all season? :((

Homer

Quote from: gator8 on May 11, 2007, 06:43:19 PM
Quote from: Homer on May 11, 2007, 06:30:43 PM
Tell Junior to win a race then you can brag.

Oh gosh that may never happen all season! The one is Dale Sr's #3. Ya mean I have to be quiet all season? :((

Yes. :<<

harley89

Gator we can complain all season bout jeffy crying when somebody gets to close  :'((

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview