PlayBuddy
May 22, 2024, 07:28:29 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Trizzle HD : Match 5 or more dolls in one move 170 times this week! [Download Cheat]
A Way With Words : Make 80 words with all yellow letters this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Job outsourcing:are the companies finally getting it?

Started by Hesh,

Previous topic - Next topic

Hesh

Ok, I know this might be controversial but when I saw the below article I had to blow off some steam. I certainly mean no offense to anyone. I hope this is a sign of things to come, where companies realize that cheaper is not always better! How many of us have been frustrated by just trying to understand what a person 10,000 miles away is even saying, let alone get the answers we are looking for. I've actually had a couple of them hang up on me because I couldn't understand them! And it's not just outsourcing, what about companies requiring people to work longer and longer hours for no more pay. What happened to the family dinner? I remember when I was a kid that we ate dinner at 6:00 every friggin night when my father got home from work. There aren't any more 9-5, no weekends or nights or on-call jobs where you also got an hour, (paid too!) for lunch and a 2 week vacation every summer. I really think that this is one of the biggest problems in this country...these !@$!@$! companies are allowed to ruin families as they please and have no morals whatsoever about doing it.If you want to work 60-80 hours a week...knock yourself out, just don't expect everyone else to do it too just so they can stay out of bankruptcy!!! Whew,lol, ok i'm off my soapbox now.

Indian call center lands in Ohio
More foreign companies are finding that hiring Americans offers distinct advantages, reports Fortune's Jia Lynn Yang.
By Jia Lynn Yang, Fortune writer-reporter
August 3 2007: 5:49 AM EDT

(Fortune Magazine) -- It would be easy to imagine Reno, Ohio, as the type of place that would be hit hardest by outsourcing - a small American town losing out to the invisible hand shifting jobs to places like Bangalore and Guangzhou. Instead, outsourcing is bringing the jobs to Reno. Across the street from an Army Reserve center and next to a farm, a customer-service call center hums, its 250 workers answering phones for online travel agency Expedia. The center's owner? Indian conglomerate Tata Group.

The phenomenon has a name: "insourcing," the term experts are starting to use when foreign multinationals open offices on U.S. soil and hire Americans, at a higher price, to do the very jobs they once lured overseas. In this case the center in Reno is targeted toward companies willing to pay a premium - its workers there cost up to 40 percent more than their counterparts in India - to give their U.S. customers a more culturally fluent, less frustrating 1-800 experience. (No more hearing someone read from a script ten time zones away.)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview