This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

fried Turkey

Started by harley89,

Previous topic - Next topic

harley89

Just curious if anyone here has done a fried turkey. I am doing one for this year and would love some tips  turkey7.gif

Mr. Rasputia

Quote from: harleyrider on November 18, 2007, 09:04:39 PM
Just curious if anyone here has done a fried turkey. I am doing one for this year and would love some tips  turkey7.gif
need any help eating eat? i recommend taking off the feathers first  turkey5.gif

TmT

1. Have the fire dept. on speed dial.
2. Make sure your fire insurance is paid up on your house.
3. Have an alternate meat plan for back-up
4. Locate the first aid kit that you dont know where the kids last were playin with it.
5. Warn your neighbors that Thanksgivin Dinner this year is gonna be a real "blast"

<hugs>
TmT

harley89

Great I needed to know all that. I am cooking at my daughters house and she said pretty much all the same things. Since we live way out in the middle of no where I can get it far away from the house but if you hear about any uncontroled wild fires on Turkey Day you can say we told her so and nobody goes away from my table without eating so if you are in the middle of no where look me up   turkey5.gif

Tara

You won't catch anything on fire. All I know about it is you need to inject the turkey with something, stick it down in the oil, and it cooks really fast and it tastes awesome. I know that didn't help, but I've seen it done, I just haven't done it.  Good luck though!

harley89

Thanks Tara  I feel confident it will go well and taste great.   turkey5.gif

player444

Harley, congrats on taking on the fried turkey!!!  I have made them many times and you certainly wont regret it..  YUM!!!!

Just a few things to keep in mind.  You can inject the bird, brine it, or use a rub or use nothing..  Depends on your tastes.  If you want to just google marinades and rubs.

Make sure you take all the stuff out of the turkey and use to make gravy or feed some wild animals.  If the bird has one of those plastic pop-up timers remove that also for obvious reasons.  This is the time to put the bird in the pot you will be using and fill with water to cover.  Remove the bird and drain any from the turkey back in the pot.  That will be the indicator to fill with your oil. I suggest peanut oil. Wash it well inside and out, dry thoroughly and use a marinade/rub or not.  Truss the big boy...

Heat your oil between 350-400.  Use an accurate thermometer.  Carefully lower the bird and fry 3 to 3.5 minutes per lb.

Good luck and would love to hear how you made out!!

turkey7.gif

harley89

Sounds great to me too. Will let you know how it comes out. I will remeber and not pull a Tara and leave the stuffing in the bird. (love ya Tara)

Tara

Quote from: harleyrider on November 19, 2007, 12:26:42 PM
Sounds great to me too. Will let you know how it comes out. I will remeber and not pull a Tara and leave the stuffing in the bird. (love ya Tara)

LOL...Homer was lying. I didn't do that.

Y'all are making me hungry with all this turkey talk.  turkey5.gif

Darling SilverDodger

Deep-frying a whole turkey is a messy proposition, and presents some hazards. For these reasons, it should always be done outdoors--not on the deck, and not in the garage. We also recommend that you don't attempt this without the right equipment:

Heavy-duty portable propane burner.
Large stockpot (26- to 40-quart capacity) or a custom-made turkey-frying pot.
A heavy-duty cooking thermometer
A tool that will allow you to safely lower the turkey into a vat of boiling oil, and remove it once the turkey is done.

An advantage of deep-frying a turkey is that it takes less than an hour to cook the whole bird--and leaves your oven free for other dishes

Deep Fried Turkey Recipe 

Before you prepare your turkey for deep fried turkey, make sure you read your manual that came with your turkey fryer.  Make sure your follow the following turkey frying rules:

Allow your turkey to thaw completely!  THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!  This is what causes all those horrible grease fires you see on TV.

Never, never insert a frozen turkey or partially frozen turkey into hot oil.

Always test your turkey fryer thermometer before you attempt to fry your turkey.  We suggest testing your turkey fryer thermometer several weeks before you plan on frying a deep fried turkey.  Many times you find that water has gotten into the thermometer, someone stepped on it or you had to use it as a door opener (when your kids locked the door on accident. . . speaking from experience).

BASIC COOKING RULES:  When frying a deep fried turkey, you cook it 3 1/2 minutes per pound at 350°F.  For a crispier skin, add an extra five minutes to your frying time.  For best results, fry a 16 pound turkey or less.  If frying a bigger turkey, you'll end up with turkey jerky for the legs and wings by the time you get the breast done.  Our family fries two 12 pound turkeys, marinating each turkey with a different marinade.  This way, unless you were given the turkey, you have a better chance of getting awesome results.

Preparation - Getting your turkey ready for turkey frying is an easy task.  Just a few steps and your ready to start frying!!

One step that most turkey frying people forget . . . VERY IMPORTANT . . .DON'T FORGET!  Start by taking your wrapped turkey (sitting up, not laying down) and set it in your turkey fryer.  Fill the pot with WATER until your turkey is covered plus add an extra inch.  Take the turkey out of the water.  Mark the line with a marker or crayon.  This is your oil line.  Make sure you do not fill your pot with any more oil than needed. 

Clean and dry your turkey on the inside and out.  Remove the giblets and neck.  ("You don't know how many phone calls we get from people that left the giblets in their turkey!!  What a mess!!")  Most people tell you to trim away all excess fat and skin, however, our family LOVES the skin.  We keep it on the turkey for them.  Make sure the opening around the neck cavity on your turkey is wide and clear.

Make a 1 inch cut in the skin at the leg/thigh joints in your turkey.  This allows the oil to drain from your turkey when it is done.

Rub your turkey with seasonings. ("Some people use a poultry seasoning.  We use Cajun seasonings.  Don't worry, our cajun seasonings aren't "hot" like most people think.  It has more flavor . . . enough flavor that'll make you chase your family around the kitchen with a spatula because they won't keep their hands of our turkey's skin.  Try here for the seasonings:  Cajun Seasonings")

For more flavor, inject your turkey using your favorite marinade.  Inject the marinade into your turkey at various points on the breast, thighs, and drumstick.  When you stick the turkey with your marinade injector (Which we carry! <smile>), don't bring the needle all the way out.  Try to stick it a few times going each direction.  The less holes you make, the better.  (Our best sellers in marinades are creole butter marinade, creole garlic, roasted garlic and herb and cajun hot n' spicy.)  Although, we'd love for you to try our turkey frying marinades, you may also use your favorite beer, wine, or sherry mixed with worchestershire.  The results were great when we tried them, but we like our turkey frying marinades better.  Another hint. . . you can mix a little orange juice in your marinade.  It acts as a meat tenderizer.

Place turkey upside down on poultry rack (the disk thingy with the long thingy coming out of it . . . can you describe it better??) with legs facing up.  Don't forget, your turkey's leg should be facing up.

Pour your peanut oil into your turkey fryer pot and attach thermometer to the top edge, making sure the stem of the thermometer is in the oil at least one inch... very important!

Put your turkey fryer pot on top of your turkey fryer burner.  Fill your turkey fryer with your peanut oil up to the oil line (the one you marked with a marker or crayon).  Follow your turkey fryer burner's instructions and light your gas cooker and set your turkey fryer burner at a low flame.  Heat your oil to 350°F.  DO NOT LEAVE YOUR FRYER UNATTENDED.  Depending on the amount of oil used, weather conditions and the BTUs of your burner, this might take anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes.  Optimum frying temperature is 350°F.  When turkey frying oil reaches 350°F, reduce heat by turning regulator valve.  Attach the turkey frying grab hook to the top loop of the rack. Wearing gloves (we've got them too!!), very slowly & carefully lower poultry into your turkey fryer pot. It may take 60-90 seconds to completely lower poultry into the oil! (Don't drop it, don't chunk it.  The turkey fryer oil is going to bubble and pop. . . Again, DO NOT drop the turkey into the oil! This could cause a boil-over resulting in a serious grease fire! Remember ...slowly...lower the turkey into the oil.  Turn your turkey fryer burner up to return to 350°F.  After cooking temperature is achieved, reduce the flame in order to maintain a constant temperature while cooking.  (We do have this new item called the Sentury Temperature Control Valve that make maintaining your oil's temperature much easier.)

Meanwhile . . . lay some newspaper down on a large pizza pan.  Basically, the idea is that you'll need something to sit your turkey fryer rack on once your turkey is done.  Don't wait until it is done to do this.  You'll be stuck without hands!!

(Just in case. . . . again . . . )

WARNING:

When your turkey is lowered into hot oil, it will cause the oil to splatter from a furious boil.

This can cause severe burns; therefore, we recommended wearing gloves, a long-sleeved shirt, shoes and safety goggles.

After passing 450°F, cooking oil can heat up rapidly to its flashpoint of spontaneous combustion, which is a serious grease fire! Therefore, never leave cooker unattended!

Control turkey frying temperature by turning the valve on the hose & regulator assembly. Constantly monitor your turkey frying oil with your thermometer!  When your turkey is done, turn your turkey fryer burner off at the tank. Leaving pot on cooker, place your grab hook through top loop of the rack and very carefully remove rack with turkey from pot.  Surely you follow directions well . . . so . . . place your turkey fryer rack with turkey on your pan with the newspaper on it (or absorbent material).  Once your turkey has drained, carefully remove turkey from rack and place on your platter.  This is going to take a few hands and a little tugging and pulling.  We haven't found a graceful way to do this yet.  :)

In case you didn't catch it the first time . . . because we care and don't want to see you in one of those insurance commercials . . . WARNINGS WORTH REPEATING . . .

Make sure turkey is completely thawed!

Do Not insert frozen or partially frozen turkey into hot oil!

Slowly lower poultry into the hot oil. This may take 60 to 90 seconds.

Do Not DROP poultry into the hot oil!

Cooking must be monitored at all times. Do not permit cooking temperature to exceed 350°F.

Do Not leave pot and cooker unattended! Always monitor the thermometer!

Always test thermometer prior to cooking!  (Weeks before in case you need a new one.)

DO NOT use lid when frying. Use lid only when the pot is being used for other types of cooking such as boiling soups, stews, gumbos; or steaming vegetables and seafood.

Your turkey fryer will get very hot.  DO NOT touch! Keep children and pets at a safe distance while cooking and afterwards during the cool down period.

Allow at least 2 hours for the oil to cool down before handling or cleanup.

After turkey is completely in the oil, remove grab hook from rack.

Inserting the poultry will reduce the temperature of the oil. Slowly increase the heat so that the temperature of the oil will come back to 325-350°F This will take several minutes.

Monitor the thermometer to maintain this temperature.

Oh, we get asked this all the time. . . unless you have an electric turkey fryer. . . USE YOUR TURKEY FRYER OUTDOORS.  DO NOT USE PROPANE BURNERS INDOORS!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, rum in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "Holy crap what a ride!"

Tara

By the time she reads all that the turkey will be burnt. :))

Monkey

TmT

Harley, first of all, I was having humor with your question but most people on the forum that knows me, know that my answer was just that... humor.  No person that I know of will be ignorant enough to warn you that you wont have a fire. That's just silly to not warn a person of the danger, then call yourself "helping"...  (duh)

I live in VA and most Thanksgivings one of our celebrations someone "always" have fried Turkey. Its been a trend in our family for, maybe, seven years. Matterfact, we do fried turkeys other than durin the holiday but that is the most popular time.  That being said, anyone  that will tell you " you wont catch anything on fire" is a fool.  Its not wise to tell someone they wont because if you are not careful that is one of the leading causes of house fires during this time of year.  Precaution is all you need  and your homework on "SAFETY".  (Thats why you asked the question) lol

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,104224,00.html

http://www.hometownlife.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071115/NEWS24/711150559

http://www.ul.com/consumers/turkeys.html

Asking questions is one way to learn and also use your resources on the internet, hun. You will learn how and prayerfully you will enjoy the experience.

On the news last week they did a big warning on fires due to carelessness and improper "fat fryers", etc... Interesting that people that think they "know it all" become a statistic! (sad)

Good luck, have fun and find safe, accurate, wise information so your Thanksgiving experience of fried turkey will be awesome and successful.  You can do it :)
TmT

TmT

I love this forum!! lmao Things will never change!!
Silver you were posting your warning while I was researching and trying to help Harley as well.  Thank God everyone on here is not sarcastic to someone trying to help!

harley89

Thanks for all the tips and website tips.  You would have to be stupid to think you could do this without reading and learning things first.  I do plan on putting the fryer out in the pasture away from the house.   TMT I have always heard that frying makes the best turkey you will ever eat so I am looking forward to it.  Happy Thanksgiving to you all

TmT

Quote from: harleyrider on November 19, 2007, 01:46:01 PM
Thanks for all the tips and website tips.  You would have to be stupid to think you could do this without reading and learning things first.  I do plan on putting the fryer out in the pasture away from the house.   TMT I have always heard that frying makes the best turkey you will ever eat so I am looking forward to it.  Happy Thanksgiving to you all
Oh yes, they are awesome, hun!!

Yes, reading is wisdom!! Shame everyone dont think so!! (oh, then only the wise would) lmfaoz

Tara

player444

hmmmmmm  I am getting a bit concerned that Harley hasn't reported back on his fried turkey!!!

TmT

Quote from: player444 on November 29, 2007, 03:30:26 PM
hmmmmmm  I am getting a bit concerned that Harley hasn't reported back on his fried turkey!!!

lmao @Player... hmmmmm.. Good point, huh? Should we call her?

harley89

Oops Sorry but I am a little old lady and forget things.  Turkey was great and nothing burned down or blew up. I will never do a turkey in a traditional manner Thanks for all the help

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview