PlayBuddy
April 30, 2024, 08:55:55 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Quinn's Aquarium : Collect 60 pairs of Shell Tiles this week! [Download Cheat]
Crossword Cove HD : Solve 65 down words without using hints this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

anyone else see this?

Started by bobby,

Previous topic - Next topic

bobby

Homer

I remember when something happened to goalie Clint Malarchuk.

Throat injury
The infamous moment that Malarchuk is perhaps most known for occurred during a game on March 22, 1989, between the visiting St. Louis Blues and Malarchuk's Buffalo Sabres. Steve Tuttle of the Blues and Uwe Krupp of the Sabres collided at the mouth of the goal, and Tuttle's skate caught Malarchuk on the neck, slicing open his jugular vein[1].

With pools of blood collecting on the ice, Malarchuk somehow left the ice under his own power with the assistance of his team's athletic trainer, Jim Pizzutelli, ATC. Many spectators were physically sickened by the sight, with nine fainting and two suffering heart attacks while three teammates vomited on the ice. [2] [3] Local television cameras covering the game cut away from the sight of Malarchuk after realizing what had happened.

Malarchuk, meanwhile, had only two thoughts: He was going to die, and he had to do it the right way. "All I wanted to do was get off the ice", said Malarchuk. "My mother was watching the game on TV, and I didn't want her to see me die."[citation needed]

Malarchuk's life was saved by Jim Pizzutelli, ATC, the team's athletic trainer and a former army medic who had served in Vietnam. He reached into Malarchuk's neck and pinched off the bleeding, not letting go until doctors arrived to begin suturing the wound. Still, Malarchuk came within minutes of becoming only the third fatality to result from an on-ice injury in NHL history (the others were Bill Masterton and Howie Morenz).

Amazingly, after receiving more than 300 stitches to close the wound, [4] Malarchuk returned to practice four days later, having spent only one night in the hospital. And about a week after that, he was back between the pipes against the Quebec Nordiques. "Doctors told me to take the rest of the year off, but there was no way", Malarchuk said. "The longer you wait, the harder it's going to be. I play for keeps."

Malarchuk's performance declined over the next few years, to the point that he left the NHL. After this, he struggled with obsessive-compulsive disorder (as he had since a young age) and alcoholism[5], but he eventually returned to hockey, in the International Hockey League. After retiring as a player, Malarchuk continued his hockey career as a coach.

After Malarchuk's injury, the NHL instituted a policy requiring all goalies to wear neck protection.

In 1995, a Swedish hockey player, Bengt Ã…kerblom, died of blood loss after an incident similar to Malarchuk's.

If you don't have a strong stomach you might not want to watch the video below. It's pretty nasty.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Homer

Quote from: Squid on February 11, 2008, 03:24:58 PM
More hockey...........

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=N1-25s4uwFQ&mode=related&search

That was a great game from about 2-3 years ago. The Sens were one of the dirtiest teams taking shots at other players and it was time to send them a message.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Go Cavs!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview