Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Comcast Sets Bandwidth For Customers

Started by Tara,

Previous topic - Next topic

Tara

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150451/article.html?tk=nl_dnxnws

Comcast, the largest provider of cable-based broadband service in the U.S., will limit residential customers to 250 gigabytes of bandwidth a month beginning Oct. 1, the company announced late Thursday.

Comcast will contact customers who go above the 250G byte limit and ask them to curtail their use, Comcast said. If a customer goes over the monthly limit again during the following six months, Comcast will suspend service for a year.

Currently, Comcast contacts high-bandwidth customers and will suspend their accounts if they don't curb their use, but it has not set a firm bandwidth limit until now. Most customers contacted about their bandwidth usage agree to limit their activity, according to Charlie Douglas, Comcast's director of communications.

Earlier this month, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission struck down Comcast's past network management practice of slowing BitTorrent peer-to-peer traffic in an effort to reduce congestion. The FCC ruled that Comcast was violating so-called net neutrality principles by targeting a certain kind of Internet traffic.

The new bandwidth cap will affect less than 1 percent of Comcast customers, Douglas said. Those customers "are using so much bandwidth that they are degrading the experience of other users," he added. "Two-hundred-and-fifty gigabytes is an extremely large amount of data."

Some high-bandwidth users have asked Comcast to identify a specific cap so they know where the line is, Douglas added. Some other broadband providers also warn customers about excessive bandwidth use.

An average Comcast customer uses two to three gigabytes of bandwidth a month, Comcast said. To reach the 250G-byte limit, a customer would have to do one of the following: send 50 million e-mails, download 62,500 songs or download 125 standard-definition movies, the company said in its announcement.

Comcast has also looked at charging high-bandwidth users additional fees, and it still has not ruled out doing so in the future, Douglas said.

Comcast is also looking at "de-prioritizing" heavy users' traffic during times of network congestion. The plan Comcast is considering would slow heavy users' traffic for up to 20 minutes during times of the most congestion.

Comcast will notify customers of the new bandwidth limits using several methods, including banner ads at Comcast.net and notices sent with monthly bills, the company said. Some net neutrality advocates criticized Comcast for not telling customers of its previous network management plan to slow P-to-P traffic at times.

Homer

Comcast can kiss my  :o0

Once FIOS is available here I'm switching.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Tara

swamp

Quote from: Homer on August 31, 2008, 07:55:01 AM
Comcast can kiss my  :o0

Once FIOS is available here I'm switching.
i dont blame ya boss  i had brighthouse roadrunner. cable and switched to verizon fios. and man what speed they have.i got the 20/20mbps and its a lot faster than cable  i am glad i switched   tumbsup.gif

Monkey

Tara

We have no other options unless you want dial up or a slow DSL company. :((

Mayhem

250gb/month?? I'd kill for that!

I pay $60/month and I only get 80gb/month + charged $6/gb if I go over.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Mary

I pay comcast $183.00 a month for cable,internet and phone  !@#$

vasunlover

vasunlover

190$ a month for phone, digital cable (including hbo, starx, cinemax) and internet a month

Mistyeyed

i work for the phone co..and i cant count how many people call in complaining about comcast..first of all they cant reach them at all,then its always something else with them..i work for verizon and we are installing the fios,but its a long process and only available in selected areas at the moment..if it ever gets to my city i will probably switch to it also..

IndianLover

You are all lucky as far as I'm concerned... Lucky that is to have a cable connection I have sattelite and we are also restricted. I've gotten spanked for going over and what they do is you don't have access for 24 hrs from the time you exceded.  If cable comes I will get that lol But would really love fios. Buy I know if cable not down my street yet I don't expect to see fios anytime soon lmao

Monkey

FiOS was supposed to be here in southeast Massachusetts in mid-August, but it's not here yet. And I want it... badly.  >:D

Yep, I just checked again and it still aint here.  >:D >:D

Homer

FIOS may take a while to get to me. Unfortunately Comcast is in the pockets of the local politicians at City Hall.  !@#$

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Mayhem

The best I can get here is ..

8.0Mbps Down / 2.0Mbps Up (100GB/mo)
5 Static IP Addresses
$154.95 / Month
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview